Sign in to follow this  
ZedsDeadBaby

Let Players "Synchronize" GPS

If two players have a GPS unit, allow them to synchronize units so that each appears on the other's GPS.

Similar to a "friends list" stored within your GPS.

You have control over revoking permissions at any time, so you can take yourself off other people's list - you can also drop your GPS at any time or give it to someone else - the tracking is based on the GPS location, not on YOUR location.

Lastly, this list would auto-purge 5-10 minutes after the owner dies. The "new" owner could use this time to track down the old owner's friends. This would add a compelling risk/reward consideration to the decision to share your GPS information - do you trust the person not to let it fall into the wrong hands?

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 3

All the GPS receivers do is receive the signals from the satellites and compute your position. They wouldn't be capable of exchanging that information between each other.

All the GPS receivers do is receive the signals from the satellites and compute your position. They wouldn't be capable of exchanging that information between each other.

That's neither technically correct, nor relevant.

This is based on realism, and that doesn't exist. That would make it easier than it should be. And it is better to learn than have something handed to you. Like using your watch and a shadow for direction. Or using the stars. That's what I love about this game. In expert mode with no 3rd person, no crosshair, the immersion is complete. I get the feeling a lot of players are too used to the console type games and have never really gotten their hands on a game like this.

• Like 1

I actually really like the idea. The thought that it doesn't exist in real life is pretty laughable as well lol.

Anyway I would want your friends GPS to be linked until it is deleted, not auto delete on your death. That is the risk you run. I kill you and take your GPS, then I can hunt down your friends as well, but I leave myself at risk of them hunting me also.

• Like 1

I believe there actually are some units out there that can keep track of other units. Essentially, it's pretty much the same as intercepting signals, but because you need a certain key to read the encryption for each unit, you can't just pick up random signals.

I'd be all for this. Would be a helluva lot easier to keep track of each other, especially when we're walking around at night.

This is based on realism' date=' and that doesn't exist. That would make it easier than it should be. And it is better to learn than have something handed to you. [...']

I'm not quite sure what you'd be learning. Seriously. All I can think you're saying here is that you don't want to be able to track your companions on the map/GPS. Nothing to learn from that.

Anyway I would want your friends GPS to be linked until it is deleted' date=' not auto delete on your death. That is the risk you run. I kill you and take your GPS, then I can hunt down your friends as well, but I leave myself at risk of them hunting me also.

[/quote']

If this is implemented, I like the sound of this. Being able to track the other player because you killed his friend. Sounds like a new element to use for bandits AND normal players,

• Like 1

Anyway I would want your friends GPS to be linked until it is deleted' date=' not auto delete on your death. That is the risk you run. I kill you and take your GPS, then I can hunt down your friends as well, but I leave myself at risk of them hunting me also.

[/quote']

This is actually interesting. Not entirely sure I'd demand this implemented but I still like it at least.

Just want to say I like this idea, would love to see something like this implemented. If nothing else, I'd love it just because it would help me in not losing my friends when we're running through the forest. It would also be a way to help reduce those moments of "IS THAT YOU IS THAT YOU" which is pretty annoying imo, I would think that if I was traveling with someone I'd remember what they looked like and not have to guess if that's them or someone else.

This is based on realism' date=' and that doesn't exist.[/quote']

Are you really suggesting that a GPS system doesn't exist that can share its location with other units?

I'm pretty sure if my iPhone can do it the military has figured it out by now...

That would make it easier than it should be.

Really? How many GPS units have you found in the game? It's still damn hard just to get one let alone two. I think having some reward if your entire team is able to get a unit is not that "easy."

Just like finding radios would help your team communicate, finding GPS should help them track each other's location.

I get the feeling a lot of players are too used to the console type games and have never really gotten their hands on a game like this.

I get the feeling you've never read any of my other posts or really understand the implications of this suggestion.

I support this idea. Sounds pretty handy, and it has quite a few good gameplay effects. Although, let's just say I were to kill a player, what's to stop me simply deleting all his 'friends' from his GPS and masking my position to them thusly?

Are you really suggesting that a GPS system doesn't exist that can share its location with other units?

I'm pretty sure if my iPhone can do it the military has figured it out by now...

Yes, this technology exists.

But... Do you know how your iPhone actually works? It's using an external network to communicate. It's not beaming anything directly to your friends phones.

The standard gps units portrayed are just as someone else stated. Receivers of satellite signals.

If they were to cross communicate, then some kind of external network would be implied. There apparently isn't one in chernarus.

It's nothing against the suggestion, it just seems like you expect things to "just work" in a place where there isn't basic electricity.

If they were to cross communicate' date=' then some kind of external network would be implied. There apparently isn't one in chernarus.

[/quote']

True enough, but let's be fair. We already have infinite energy sources in Chernarus (NVGs, GPSs, flashlights, thermal/holo scopes never die), so suggesting that maybe there's an external comm network that has survived and is still functional isn't really a huge stretch of the imagination given its potential in-game benefits.

If they were to cross communicate' date=' then some kind of external network would be implied. There apparently isn't one in chernarus.

[/quote']

True enough, but let's be fair. We already have infinite energy sources in Chernarus (NVGs, GPSs, flashlights, thermal/holo scopes never die), so suggesting that maybe there's an external comm network that has survived and is still functional isn't really a huge stretch of the imagination given its potential in-game benefits.

Agreed. Zombies aren't luddites. They won't go targeting electricity-powered machines, and the idea that nobody would have an interest somewhere to keep those machines going is far-fetched. These machines tend to also have backup generators and what not.

[/quote']

Agreed. Zombies aren't luddites. They won't go targeting electricity-powered machines, and the idea that nobody would have an interest somewhere to keep those machines going is far-fetched. These machines tend to also have backup generators and what not.

These arguments are outside the box until someone points out a working street light.

Hell, I'd prefer that we just have civilian cell phones "in game" that we could text or call friends and use for gps.

Player to player communication is one of those things that would be great to have in game, but people will go for the convenience of external methods.

[/quote']

These arguments are outside the box until someone points out a working street light.

Hell, I'd prefer that we just have civilian cell phones "in game" that we could text or call friends and use for gps.

Player to player communication is one of those things that would be great to have in game, but people will go for the convenience of external methods.

I mean we can fix helicopters, so I do see why not allow us to fix the power systems as well.

Arma 2 has an entire group system built into it.

If anyone ever played evolution or any of the campaigns where you could recruit people into your group and command/locate them they'll understand how the mechanic works. That is what I'd like to see implemented. Obviously the level of detail you get from this is directly related to what difficult setting the server is on so it's a win win scenario

Definitely all for this.

The thing I hate is that people speak of TS3 or Mumble, this means they'd be able to track down the killer or the body if they don't take the GPS. Obviously I want this idea implemented but I'm really just bitching about people...