rudiger650

Please add slow (Romero-style) zombies as a server option.

I'm surprised I did not already see this suggestion in these forums:

My friends and I would like an easy (one-click) server setting to turn zombies from the default runners into the classic shambling zombies. If possible, more zombie settings would be great. The only additional one I can think of would be adjusting how much noise they make. It would be great to have slow but almost silent zombies to play around.

It is possible (though complicated) to program slow zombies in DayZmod and I don't want to see that option get left out of The Standalone. In fact it should be stream-lined.

Why we want slow zombies as an option:

1) Its a game changer. The zombies are so slow they become almost a background piece, until you let your guard down, or get cornered in a gunfight.

2) The hit detection sucked in DayZmod and it (currently) sucks in Standalone. This not only makes head-shots on fast zombies hard, but it rarely drops them even if (to you) you've hit them in the head. Its kind of a regular immersion breaker and you spend more time being chased than anything. In fact, the strategy for defeating them seems to be to back into a building and exploit zombies' inability to run indoors; Another sad immersion-breaker that hopefully won't be repeated in Standalone.

3) It picks up the pace. For a beginner, at least in the mod, DayZ can start like a plodding stealth game. I have no problem with stealth games. But sometimes I have no time for them, either. Slow zombies encourage a player to run around, but also stay wary of getting boxed in or firing his weapon. Essentially it whittles all the chasing down to good chases, the ones where a real player is hunting you and your beans and Ego are on the line.

4) It offers a classic zombie movie experience, enough said.

Thanks for reading,

ThunderDumplin.

Edited by ThunderDumplin
  • Like 2

I'm thinking this will come with modding after release due to current lore, but who knows. DayZ zombies aren't your typical undead, they're just infected living according to official lore. Would love to see this though, and a host of different zombie types.

the reason you havn't seen any suggestions is because it would 1 be too easy. 2 all other zed games besides maybe a handful never get the sprinters right and would like to see them actually done right.3 hmmmm I knew there was a third oh yeah they would be to easy.

and if you have the mod epoch has a lot of servers with walking dead as its listed I've tried it the zeds can still get you but only if your dicking around or AFK makes looting boring and you can stroll around into the MIL areas and laugh at the zeds IMO its pathetic.

Edited by gannon46

the reason you havn't seen any suggestions is because it would 1 be too easy. 2 all other zed games besides maybe a handful never get the sprinters right and would like to see them actually done right.3 hmmmm I knew there was a third oh yeah they would be to easy.

and if you have the mod epoch has a lot of servers with walking dead as its listed I've tried it the zeds can still get you but only if your dicking around or AFK makes looting boring and you can stroll around into the MIL areas and laugh at the zeds IMO its pathetic.

Up until recently, I regularly played a walking dead Epoch server. It had a good population and if you were in a military area then other players were, as well. Looting wasn't boring because real people were shooting at you more often.

You can say its "too easy." But I'd rather bambis be able to scramble up the beach, grab some stuff, and head inland than get wasted on the beach by zombies or while running from them. With more armed people running around instead of getting eaten, I'd say it shifts the difficulty from the beginning to the latter stages of the game.

Finally, you said there were a lot of walking dead servers in Epoch, so I'd say that's one more point in my favor: Walking dead are a somewhat popular choice among server admins.

The only problems I've had so far, as a freshspawn, is other players.

Shouldn't surviving be MORE difficult the instant you realize you need to survive and become a little easier each day as you begin getting everything sorted out? 

Even though surviving should ALWAYS be difficult, most fatalities SHOULD occur in the beginning of a survival situation and slow down as survivors acclimate to the situation

Wait until zombies are a bit further along and have the correct pathfinding and see how it plays out. I would like to see a sort of mid-range zombie, between slow shuffler and sprinter, a jogger zombie would balance quite well. But they have to be hard hitting, headshot kill only and lots of em. Otherwise too easy imo

I agree for the most part. However I do not understand why everyone is creating zombies that are strategic geniuses with lightning speed. They are supposed to be decaying flesh which would make them slow and the longer they rot the less accute their hearing, vision and mobility would be. They also should have a singular motivation, to kill anything that moves as long as it is in sight and lose motivation once they can't see you.

If people want to be challenged that way then they could add bandit AI later on in the Military bases where the best weapons are. Nothing is worse than spawning in next to a couple zombies and being instantly killed or chased all over the map by something that is faster than players and can see you even if you are out of line of sight and over a mile ahead of it. Also why can't people spawn in with a basic weapon to give them a chance. So many times I have spawned in and been unable to find any kind of weapon because people have already looted the area. Fists can take out one zombie but if you get attacked by more then your dead. What will happen when they up the zombie count to projected goals? How will anyone fight 20+ zombies with no weapons and no way to run off??

Ok first things first please for the love of glob someone point me to a Dayz official lore thread? I've heard all kinds of "this is what happened" stories and they are all different.

Two, with the lowest common denominator I've determined this. They aren't actually zombies rather living infected beings "you" (the player) are immune.

Three. "Walking dead" relies on hordes! "Works" great in dead rising 3 where "over 9000!" Zombies are on screen moving at the speed old people "roll in the hay" and a single weapon shears through the pack.

And when they drop after a single swing here I'll support shamblers and hordes in Dayz. Until then if rather they just stop sprinting through walls

Finally, you said there were a lot of walking dead servers in Epoch, so I'd say that's one more point in my favor: Walking dead are a somewhat popular choice among server admins.

Thats because the admins want to make an easy-peasy PvP slaughterfest because they dont know about this great game meant for that called ARMA! They are whats ruining DayZ, all I see is "Helo spawn onto NWAF with Ghillie and AS50 after 2 kills tactical nuke perk" servers EVERYWHERE. Thats whats ruining DayZ, little kids who suck too much at Arma so they ruin the survival experience DayZ was built for. What happened to the DayZ I used to know, where you spawned with a makorov, one mag, flashlight and a bandage. And you were DAMN glad to have it. Stop the childish PvP sausage fest of little kids, and make DayZ what it was MEANT TO BE!
  • Like 1

This would work, if they were not "infected" people.  :rolleyes:

Fyi, they are not zombies

They are supposed to be decaying flesh which would make them slow and the longer they rot the less accute their hearing, vision and mobility would be. 

Rage Zombies

I'm surprised I did not already see this suggestion in these forums:

My friends and I would like an easy (one-click) server setting to turn zombies from the default runners into the classic shambling zombies. If possible, more zombie settings would be great. The only additional one I can think of would be adjusting how much noise they make. It would be great to have slow but almost silent zombies to play around.

It is possible (though complicated) to program slow zombies in DayZmod and I don't want to see that option get left out of The Standalone. In fact it should be stream-lined.

Why we want slow zombies as an option:

1) Its a game changer. The zombies are so slow they become almost a background piece, until you let your guard down, or get cornered in a gunfight.

2) The hit detection sucked in DayZmod and it (currently) sucks in Standalone. This not only makes head-shots on fast zombies hard, but it rarely drops them even if (to you) you've hit them in the head. Its kind of a regular immersion breaker and you spend more time being chased than anything. In fact, the strategy for defeating them seems to be to back into a building and exploit zombies' inability to run indoors; Another sad immersion-breaker that hopefully won't be repeated in Standalone.

3) It picks up the pace. For a beginner, at least in the mod, DayZ can start like a plodding stealth game. I have no problem with stealth games. But sometimes I have no time for them, either. Slow zombies encourage a player to run around, but also stay wary of getting boxed in or firing his weapon. Essentially it whittles all the chasing down to good chases, the ones where a real player is hunting you and your beans and Ego are on the line.

4) It offers a classic zombie movie experience, enough said.

Thanks for reading,

ThunderDumplin.

This has been tried, a lot. The issue is that such zombies are not a threat, ever. Unless you are incredibly dumb and make a huge mistake you zip around them and ignore them. The ONLY way they are dangerous is in hordes so huge you can't avoid them. The game can't handle that amount of zombies. It lags the servers. That is why you see them using viral zombies that are alive and fast instead of weird undead zombies. Fast zombies can be a threat even if there are a few of them. Slow zombies are not unless you are dumb or there are too many to escape. Fewer zombies - better server performance = better gameplay. 

If you want zombies to be nothing but background just go play a game that doesn't have zombies. 

• Like 1

I've never liked the idea of slow zombies cause - well - they're nearly never a threat no matter what crazy numbers there are. As long as you can jog away from them, you're fine. So at that point you're wasting resources on increasing the number of zombies in order to make them remotely "dangerous" just to allow them to be..slow. I'd prefer zombies to be a threat - and quite a huge one at that. I can't wait for the day that I'm afraid to go into a city not because of other players, but because of the zombies. The only way that'll ever happen is with fast zombies.

Edited by solodude23
  • Like 1

I`d love the idea... but to make it challenging so many things would have to change...

For starters. There should be multiple hordes of several thousands of these slow freaks which move across the map constantly and who are able to combine and split the numbers of the groups constantly. Big hordes should be able to scatter randomly and randomly spawned zombies should be able to team up with others. I can only think of the large system specs that would require...

Second, to draw the attension of these freaks more faster, the sound of gunshots should be heard from miles away. example: a gunfire in cherno should be ringing the dinnerbell as far as elektro and komarovo.

This would make it interesting though. Firing 1 single panic round could turn the entire city into one big zed crowd of thousands. try getting alive out of that one ;) I even think it would reduce the "shoot on sight" alot and would stop people from going all John Rambo on a single zed :)

I`d love the idea... but to make it challenging so many things would have to change...

For starters. There should be multiple hordes of several thousands of these slow freaks which move across the map constantly and who are able to combine and split the numbers of the groups constantly. Big hordes should be able to scatter randomly and randomly spawned zombies should be able to team up with others. I can only think of the large system specs that would require...

Second, to draw the attension of these freaks more faster, the sound of gunshots should be heard from miles away. example: a gunfire in cherno should be ringing the dinnerbell as far as elektro and komarovo.

This would make it interesting though. Firing 1 single panic round could turn the entire city into one big zed crowd of thousands. try getting alive out of that one ;) I even think it would reduce the "shoot on sight" alot and would stop people from going all John Rambo on a single zed :)

basicly this. tho its not likely possible with this engine (performance wise) i would really like slow methodical zeds that given time will grapple up ladders, stairs, anywhere you can go. and lots of them. so many that you could have an inventory full of ammo and run out before killing half of them! Altho you could easily run away in the open, cities would become extremely dangerous.  Make too much noise looting and look up to find every entrance blocked by 30+ zombies and 500 more slowly staggering towards the building.

For those who say it would make the game too easy...

So what? It's just another difficulty setting which you can opt in and out of! How does it affect you 'hardcore' players? If people on the slow zed servers couldn't transfer equipment to ordinary servers, then that would prevent any problems.

Also, slow zeds is just another interesting scenario. The game has to follow realism in almost everything, but zeds are the one place where devs can get creative rather than just make it like real life. I would like to see slower zeds which are almost impossible to fully kill (classic horror zombies) once all of the hit box stuff is sorted out.

And finally, once illness, hypothermia, malnutrition, stamina etc. are added I doubt anyone will be saying that DayZ is too easy. The same people who are currently saying: "the Devs need to add More Zombies!!! This game is sooooo easy!" are the ones who will be saying: " Oh my God!!! Not this realistic! Could the devs remove most of the zeds, pretty please?" in a years time.

So, in conclusion, adding more content is usually a good thing. An extra mode to choose from would be a welcome addition as far as I am concerned.

p.s. many have cited that the game's lore has infected zeds who aren't dead. So what? The devs can change whatever they want, and using the: We can't have classic zombies because that isn't what the lore says! argument just doesn't make any sense. I doubt anyone would mind having more gamplay options if it meant that the lore only applied to traditional servers.

Edited by 11tw