Sign in to follow this  
justwrath

The Ability to Police Server Hoppers LIes with Us.

This isn't some preachy thread about how server hopping is ruining this or that, or that rocket better fix my free alpha NOW so that I can have everything exactly how I want it. Its merely a suggestion.

If you aren't a fan of server hoppers systematically looting the airfield, me and a couple buddies have found a fantastic new layer to the pvp in this game. we simply go into low populated night servers and sit in the barracks and wait for people to spawn in (2nd or 3rd room is best because they tend to spawn in at either end). Of course its risky, but their are 2 fantastic outcomes to this practice. You need only simply wait around and someone brings a ton of great loot to you, and of course, you get to make a guy very sad.

Its all about layers of trolling here. I think these guys are getting bored. Lets give them a challenge. I guarantee you the glee you will feel shortly after murdering a collector just by sitting around and waiting is second only to finding a parking lot and server hopping every last bit of loot they've collected away, then blowing the crap out of the vehicles as a final insult.

And yes, I'm aware this thread is a complete waste of time, but i'd like to know if anyone else has been doing this.

disconnect cooldown 1min server change cooldown 5min for most problem solved,

Another guy posted that he was doing this on a roof in Cherno but he uses and axe and screams "Time to die" over direct audio chat. I fucking love it.

disconnect cooldown 1min server change cooldown 5min for most problem solved' date='

[/quote']

There are legitimate reasons to switch servers that have nothing to do with loot. Penalizing people who are doing nothing wrong, but are just looking for a server that is right for them = bad.

You can fix server hopping for loot by causing all loot near you to despawn when you log in, this would force you to log out AWAY from loot spawns.

Yeah, and some sick puppies will spawn in the barracks just for the reason to fuck everything up for anybody else. :D

It's blazing me away how creative obviously a lot of people become if there is a chance to ruin other people's day, the only relieve I have is that their real lives must really suck. :D

But killing them in a creative way is a good start. :D

disconnect cooldown 1min server change cooldown 5min for most problem solved' date='

[/quote']

There are legitimate reasons to switch servers that have nothing to do with loot. Penalizing people who are doing nothing wrong, but are just looking for a server that is right for them = bad.

You can fix server hopping for loot by causing all loot near you to despawn when you log in, this would force you to log out AWAY from loot spawns.

There are indeed legitimate reasons to swap servers. However despawning loot might not be the best method to mitigate hoppers. How annoying would it be to see the rifle you have been dreaming of on the floor run towards it and simply have it despawn as another player pops in relatively close. There goes the weapon you might have used to defend yourself now that you know another player is near...

Not to mention some players would have a hayday cruising around robbing all the other players of good loot from every server as they drop in and out in the best loot areas, simply making all the items despawn.

There are indeed legitimate reasons to swap servers. However despawning loot might not be the best method to mitigate hoppers. How annoying would it be to see the rifle you have been dreaming of on the floor run towards it and simply have it despawn as another player pops in relatively close. There goes the weapon you might have used to defend yourself now that you know another player is near...

Not to mention some players would have a hayday cruising around robbing all the other players of good loot from every server as they drop in and out in the best loot areas' date=' simply making all the items despawn.

[/quote']

It may not be the best solution, but it is the best I have seen proposed (subjective opinion of course).

Im not talking about despawning loot in a mile radius of you, or even a block. More along the lines of the size of a control tower. Just enough so that you cant log out in a building and loot it with no fear as you server hop. It would force you to log out outside the building and then walk into it.

In your scenario you are screwed anyway. Because if the loot doesnt despawn then you are looking at it, and the person has popped in and is already shooting you. You will be dead before you can react, this is just what happens with bad luck and bad timing. The only difference is the server hopper not only gets to kill you, but also gets the loot you were going for.

And yes Im sure some people would grief with this, but it would get old fast. And would be less of a problem than the problem it is attempting to fix.

How about just not allowing loot to spawn with players within 100ms of a loot drop... I know the current is 30 but in all honesty that isn't really that far away, but I do think that as long as good loot is in the same location on all servers, hoppers will just do the bare min to get the loot. So really we just need more random loot areas like the current heli crashes that are just more common. This would encourage players to explore more of the map, in hopes to find military camps that have better loot than barracks.

Orthus, more random loot spawning probably would be the best solution. However it is not as practical with ARMA2 because of the low number of areas to spawn loot in. Now, if every building was enterable then you could do this much more easily. But that is (I believe) a limitation that Rocket can not overcome due to the engine. ARMA3 looks to have many more enterable buildings (think I read 90% are enterable) and this solution would work there much better.

Your answer to server hoppers is joining low populated servers and sitting in the barracks until you can kill someone? Twats like you are the reason I don't want people being able to spawn in the airfield. Congrats on being part of the problem. What you are doing makes you no different from them.

Orthus' date=' more random loot spawning probably would be the best solution. However it is not as practical with ARMA2 because of the low number of areas to spawn loot in. Now, if every building was enterable then you could do this much more easily. But that is (I believe) a limitation that Rocket can not overcome due to the engine. ARMA3 looks to have many more enterable buildings (think I read 90% are enterable) and this solution would work there much better.

[/quote']

Well than how does the heli crash spawn work if not pseudo-random?

yeah so basically to alleviate this whole problem there needs to be a zone 100>250m around every player that you can't spawn into, if your zone is within theirs you gotta wait till they move away. stops ppl logging off in places they know they will have to wait for ppl to move away from.

don't really see a way that isn't broken in some respect. maybe just a timer in the lobby will help, each server you join makes you wait xx amount of time before you can join into the game, that way ppl will be more inclined to stay on one server rather than hop around.

Heli crash sites are a great example of simi-random loot spawns. But how would you implement this for all types of loot across the entire map? No loot except at crash sites? Remove all permanent structures and have all buildings randomly spawn around the map?Remove loot spwans from buildings and have them pop up randomly in the middle of the forest? I just cant think of a way to do it organically so that it feels natural and authentic. If you can think of a specific way of implementing it then I would be all for it, but under the current game structure I can't see it.

Heli crash sites are a great example of simi-random loot spawns. But how would you implement this for all types of loot across the entire map? No loot except at crash sites? Remove all permanent structures and have all buildings randomly spawn around the map?Remove loot spwans from buildings and have them pop up randomly in the middle of the forest? I just cant think of a way to do it organically so that it feels natural and authentic. If you can think of a specific way of implementing it then I would be all for it' date=' but under the current game structure I can't see it.

[/quote']

I'm not saying all loot but for better loot like that usually found say in stary and nwa, it would only spawn in say semi-random tent locations so it help curve on server hoppers.

Dear diary, today OP was not a fag!

Brilliant idea. Have to try this out soon. Perfect way to penalize those unbelievably annoying server hoppers. Hope this makes them angry as fuck and think twice before server hopping again.

I often over watch stary on low pop servers and snipe bastards that log in to tent loot.

' pid='208897' dateline='1340901832']

Your answer to server hoppers is joining low populated servers and sitting in the barracks until you can kill someone? Twats like you are the reason I don't want people being able to spawn in the airfield. Congrats on being part of the problem. What you are doing makes you no different from them.

And there was some other comment on there being legitimate reasons to switch servers. I'll start with that: Yes' date=' but not when you are in the barracks, get out to the woods and log out there, then when you log in and realize it's night or something lags like hell:

1. You don't look like a server hopper

2. You don't despawn all the stuff the others came the get (the automatic despawn idea is just bad)

As for the quoted comment, I don't think the person you were responding to meant that they would spawn in the barracks, but first find a server, then walk there and then wait for the server hoppers, since you did not want people spawning there at all what is the problem in punishing the server hoppers a bit ?

This of course only de-incentivizes farming, the Ghosts (get into a fight, change dimension[server'] move to flank and change back) are a much larger problem AFAIUnderstand.

IMO the cooldown timers are the best solution to server hopping for whatever purpose (the legitimate reasons do not require multiple hops in rapid succession, I know I avoid night ATM and sometimes a server has wrong timezone declared so I might change servers *once* in a session), however there are some technical issues with them (and there will be way more technical issues with the "no spawn zones" or god forbid the "automagical loot despawn radius").