unclegus

Same Steam account, different computer, different character

When I play DayZ at work I have a bunch of gear. When I get home and log in, I am a newspawn. Wat du?

I have not heard of this before,

Has this happened on multiple occasions or just the once ?

Make sure you check the server details and check the ip.

It's definitely the same steam account; I only have one. When I start up Steam at home, my character is there with all the appearance settings that I chose: Asian guy, green shirt, brown shoes. My name is there on both machines. When I start up Steam at work, my character is there with all the same appearances and the name, but he has a bunch of gear. Surely that is all pulling from the public hive? Yet no matter what server I join at home, I'm a newspawn. When I change servers at work, I keep the same gear. I have a particular server that I usually use, and up until a few days ago, I had the same gear at home and at work. Now it has split somewhere, somehow.

I have written down the IP address for the server here at home and I will double check it against the IP address for the server when I get to work to make sure that I am not just tripping.

Last night at home I logged on to the server and my character at the loadscreen was a newspawn. When I joined the server, I was a newspawn. I killed myself to see if relogging would then pick up my other character with the gear. It didn't.

This morning at work I checked the IP address of the public hive server that I frequent to make sure it is the same. It is. At the menu my character had all the gear that he had the last time I was playing at work. I joined the server and I was a newspawn. I disconnected and went back to the menu and my character had no gear.

Seems like somehow my hive record got split. Killing myself at home must have reset it.

My internet connection was acting up the other night when I was logging in at home, so perhaps that had something to do with it? I also noticed something else last night. I was connected to the server at home and I remotely connected to my work pc and logged into Steam to attempt to check the IP address of the server. DayZ couldn't run because of the remote desktop video stuff but when I logged in to Steam on my work machine, I got the toast popup at home saying that I had logged in somewhere else. Does this mean that it is technically possible to play DayZ with the same account twice? Maybe this is related to my hive split? Maybe with my poor connection the other night, somehow I joined without really joining, in a similar way to already being connected and then connecting elsewhere with the same account.