pvt_ammo@hotmail.com

Weapon degradation, repair and maintenance.

Title said it all. Weapon condition, badly maintained weapons will jam, be less accurate. There could even be a skill level increase for weapon repair, the more you repair the better you get at it. This would be an even bigger incentive to staying alive longer. Especially for those with more rare weapons.

Agreed.

Was thinking about it the other day while playing. You shouldn't be able to find brand new weapons everytime, and weapon condition would affect accuracy, reliability and noise.

Like the idea of damaged weapons that jam and are not 100% in terms of accuracy and reliability.

However skills and inherent abilities that relate to a character that is going to die regardless seems a bit to much.

However skills and inherent abilities that relate to a character that is going to die regardless seems a bit to much.

Have to agree with this part too after some forethought. Perhaps instead of total reset of repair skill after death, a percentage lost. You lose 25% of your skill advancement, or something along those lines.

Not against the idea of a character getting better at things as they perform a task many times, especially since it could apply to pretty much everything a character could do. Though I think it should have a few rules:

1) Every new character is a clean slate. No matter how good you were at something, when you get killed, he's dead. His knowledge (or even a part of it) doesn't magically transfer to a new person. Every time you respawn you're playing as someone else, base level skills across the board. At best, maybe you can pick a skill that your character is slightly better at, as to say that it's what he used to do before the outbreak.

2) It should be a hidden value. This isn't an RPG, after-all. You should just know what your character is good and bad at. Kinda like how I can't just check some character sheet to know how good I am at building computers, your characters in Day Z shouldn't have a list to reference to know who's the best at repairing guns in the camp. It'll just be a few guys saying "Yeah, I've gotten pretty good at it", and then you'll have to take their word on it.

3) The more skilled you become in one thing, the harder it becomes to get skilled in other things. Without some kind of diminishing returns on skill progression, a single person could too easily become a master at everything, which should be avoided. A character should be inclined to stay more focused on one thing that he can offer to a group.

I much prefer the idea of weapon degradation meaning you need to find another weapon rather than being able to repair it. I mean what are we? We can give blood transfusions, fix cars, fly Hueys, fix broken bones, snipe from 500m....if i am not mistaken we are all Batman.

I mean what are we? We can give blood transfusions' date=' fix cars, fly Hueys, fix broken bones, snipe from 500m.....

[/quote']

Nah you are a Marine :D We didn't call it sniping though, we just called it qualification. I never flew a Huey but got stick time in a 46. Setting up a blood bag is really not tough. You got me on the broken bones thing though, but in this game a morphine shot cures them and anyone can give one of those.

I like the idea of fixing the weapons, with a firearms repair tool kit though. The skill progression idea is a good one, but you would need to do it with everything then.