josuna123

So, exactly how does the "Heartbeat Bandit" system work?

Since removing the skin, this hearbeat system was implemented. I just don't understand exactly how it works though, because the heartbeats come up randomly.

From what I understood on reading FAQ's, if you aim at someone, you can hear their hearbeat and the louder it beats the more people they killed.

This doesn't make sense to me because I'll be traveling without looking at anyone and I'll hear the hearbeat sound turn on randomly. It seems like the system is more of a proximity system. Does it turn on when a bandit is near you, or when a bandit is aiming at you?

Since removing the skin' date=' this hearbeat system was implemented. I just don't understand exactly how it works though, because the heartbeats come up randomly.

From what I understood on reading FAQ's, if you aim at someone, you can hear their hearbeat and the louder it beats the more people they killed.

This doesn't make sense to me because I'll be traveling without looking at anyone and I'll hear the hearbeat sound turn on randomly. It seems like the system is more of a proximity system. Does it turn on when a bandit is near you, or when a bandit is aiming at you?

[/quote']

I have 18 murders and when I looked at my friend with 0 murders I heard a heart beat. When he looked at me he said he heard nothing. Maybe it's backwards/broken?

It seemed to work on mine, I had no player kills and my two mates heard nothing on me but mousing over my friend Alex with 4 PK's on his life I heard one and on James I heard a slight one as he only had one.

It may be bugged but it does seem to also work as intended as well for me any way.

You've got all the latest patches and the OA Beta installed?

It may be that your lacking an important section of the engine released within one of these but if you have all installed properly then I'd say it is just a bug that Rocket and team will probably fix in the short term, I mean they patch this Alpha like its going out of style!

Post Script: Also it could just be that you had so many player kills the scripting cut the sound off, It's programmed to rise with PK statics on the character but I imagine that if theree was an issue with a "Sound leveling" as to your high number of player kills the game might cut it off at a point or it could be in a cycle system, rising to a certain level of kills and then reseting.

Also remember that dying and respawning resets those attributes.

It doesnt work.

Bandits place gear in a tent, repeat respawn until they are near the tent then start again with a new life and all the old gear.

It doesnt work.

Bandits place gear in a tent' date=' repeat respawn until they are near the tent then start again with a new life and all the old gear.

[/quote']

Although, rather amusingly, many of these same bandits are doubtless amongst those who complain vociferously about players disconnecting to avoid being shot to death. That, apparently, is gaming the system whilst what they do is just fine. How terribly unsporting it is of players with no weapons not to hang around to be shot by the guy with the sniper rifle.

It doesnt work.

Bandits place gear in a tent' date=' repeat respawn until they are near the tent then start again with a new life and all the old gear.

[/quote']

I am pretty sure that the heartbeat doesn't go away once you get it. I died on a character that had 30+ murders recently and my friends still hear the heartbeat on my character with zero murders.

Once I was a bandit [needed morphine badly] and I never heard the heartbeat sound when pointing to other people. Though when I found my dead curcass near the coast [spawned and run to it to reacquire my possesions] I did hear the heartbeat when pointing to it. Lol?

I believe you need to have them in your sights and be within 15 meters... which makes it effectively useless. Even if it does work properly.

Rocket has stated in one post that he might (and probably did) make the heartbeat system slightly random. Even players with no kills might have a heartbeat, though those with tons of kills might have a higher chance of having a louder/faster heartbeat.

All in all, the system was implemented as a means to give more tension to the game: The heartbeat MIGHT be a signifier of a bandit, but then, it might not be.

... no, it was probably implemented as a "f*** you" to the people who thought removing the bandit skin was a bad idea.

Though apparently it really annoys the bandits having to listen to it.