Sign in to follow this  
Damnyourdeadman

Terraforming

Hello people,i had alot of doubts whether i should or not make this suggestion.

Mainly because i'm aware of the engine's limitations,and this is something that is not

a small task.What i'm talking about is the ability to terraform the Cherno landscape.

Meaning,with the help of tools (shovels,pickaxes,etc) making changes on the natural enviroment.

From opening tunnels to creating massive hills from scratch and smoothing uneven surfaces.

Here's an example of my suggestion portrayed on Wurm-a game run on Java engine.

• Like 1

It'd be neat, but I can't think of many in-game applications. If functional diggers were included then maybe; but, as you said, I don't think this is something the engine can support - certainly it isn't worth including given the probable strain on the system.

• Like 1

It'd be neat, but I can't think of many in-game applications. If functional diggers were included then maybe; but, as you said, I don't think this is something the engine can support - certainly it isn't worth including given the probable strain on the system.

Yep,but if there is a chance the engine allows it,it would be awesome.

Just imagine a whole server getting together,trying to make Mount Dean. :P

If the world tommorow was to be filled by infected,the best shelter for humans would be underground.

Making massive mines,and corridors streaching as long as the eye can see.

Heh,i can think of a thousand ingame applications,but....once again the engine is the deciding factor.

Edited by Damnyourdeadman

There are game applications such as making holes to hide in big open field etc. I like this idea they should add some usage for shovel like hiding items under ground.

Would boost the survival aspect of the game because you now have a destructible environment if this is implemented.  Along with this, i think that everything you see in Dayz Standalone, such as objects, you should be able to interact with it someway.  I know how hard and how much time it would take to do that, but guys we have time as do the Devs.  Terrific idea, beans to you man.

I'd love to see a modifiable terrain/destructible environment system on here, but I know it's unlikely because of the engine limitations.

Damnyourdeadman: "If the world tommorow was to be filled by infected,the best shelter for humans would be underground."

I have to disagree with Damnyourdeadman about underground being the best place for humans to go in a zombie apocalypse.  It takes a lot of resources to dig tunnels, not to mention that the process is very dangerous... and once you have these tunnels and you seal yourselves in to keep out billions of zombies, what then? Where do you grow food, get energy etc?

I think the best way to build would be to build 'up.'  You can put buildings on pillars so the zombies can't get inside... in fact, you could build whole cities just 20 feet above the ground - no walls necessary and cleaning up even large hordes could be made easy by pits to trap/burn hundreds or thousands at a time.  I even have designs somewhere for a 'zombie moat'  that would allow a small city to have a defensive pit around the whole thing and keep a couple of exit/entrance bridges.  Of course the moat/pit idea only works for smaller hordes... if the population of Los Angeles were to come to that small town it would probably get erased... but not the pillar town :)

Of course, this hinges on zombies being pretty dumb and not magical like the movie 'World War Z' zombies.

Edited by Rigor Mortis

I'd love to see a modifiable terrain/destructible environment system on here, but I know it's unlikely because of the engine limitations.

Damnyourdeadman: "If the world tommorow was to be filled by infected,the best shelter for humans would be underground."

I have to disagree with Damnyourdeadman about underground being the best place for humans to go in a zombie apocalypse.  It takes a lot of resources to dig tunnels, not to mention that the process is very dangerous... and once you have these tunnels and you seal yourselves in to keep out billions of zombies, what then? Where do you grow food, get energy etc?

I think the best way to build would be to build 'up.'  You can put buildings on pillars so the zombies can't get inside... in fact, you could build whole cities just 20 feet above the ground - no walls necessary and cleaning up even large hordes could be made easy by pits to trap/burn hundreds or thousands at a time.  I even have designs somewhere for a 'zombie moat'  that would allow a small city to have a defensive pit around the whole thing and keep a couple of exit/entrance bridges.  Of course the moat/pit idea only works for smaller hordes... if the population of Los Angeles were to come to that small town it would probably get erased... but not the pillar town :)

Of course, this hinges on zombies being pretty dumb and not magical like the movie 'World War Z' zombies.

When talking about the inital stages of an outbreak,i would find it resonable for people to find that the best course of action

would be to baricade themselves in their basement rather than the upper level which is crawling with infected.

The initial stage,is scavage and hide.The best place to start repopulation(community) though,would be on an unoccupied island,

not too close from the shore yet not too far away,easily accessible with a rowboat.Assuming our zombie friends don't know how to swim,humanity is saved.

@Rigor Mortis

I don't think building a whole city 20 feet above ground level is more practical than a wall

@Rigor Mortis

I don't think building a whole city 20 feet above ground level is more practical than a wall

I have to agree that walls would be best, but what community has walls strong enough to hold off thousands of infected?  Also, even if you had decent walls, building 'up' would add another layer of protection.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7120/7497569180_23da8acb77_z.jpg

Edited by Rigor Mortis