Sign in to follow this  
11tw

Realism fix for supplies

So I quit, wait a few hours, come back and all of the food on the shelf in front of me has respawned. This seems weird, and is a huge break from realism for me. 

Instead I suggest that the game's lore be changed. The map is simply a quarantine zone, and in the zone survivors are being supplied with equipment and food by the government. Every time a server resets, the government drops parachute boxes with food, iodine tabs, bandages etc. However, because of other players this food is hard to get to, so other sources (like the soon to be introduced foraging and hunting) of food have to be used. Weapons and ordinary items would remain the same, so the respawn for those would have to stay the way it is.

As far as I can see, this is the only way to make the game realistic without making it impossible.

Naturally this would only be introduced once other things have been fixed though, because otherwise this won't work due to a lack of players on certain servers and a surplus of bandits on other ones.

Respawning loot is maybe one of the biggest unrealistic features in the game, but its the best way to everyone get stuff in my opinion. If goverment would send us parachute boxes, why would not they then help us to kill all the zeds?

Think of the respawning supplies as a feature to simulate a much bigger world. Otherwise you would also have a fixed number of zombies and a fixed number of players. And if someone dies the total number of survivors just drops by one (until everyone died off).

For gameplay reasons we have a smaller world with respawning players, zombies and loot. And also respawning animals when implemented.

I would say that the reason the government wouldn't 'drop in' to save everyone would have something to do with fear of infection: survivors in the quarantine zone are the 1% who are immune, whereas soldiers dropped in would quickly become zombies. Therefore the only solution is to try and keep the survivors alive by dropping emergency food, like in Japan after the nukes were dropped.

no

Well argued sir, I am defeated!

Edited by 11tw

All this would result in is the quick depopulation of servers where all of the loot drops are reached by bandits first and are easily able to control them considering supplies are available nowhere else.

I kind of like the idea of random supply drops, but for full servers of up to 100 people, they would have to be either extremely frequent (which is really unrealistic) or full of loot (making hoarding easy). I think respawning loot is sort of a necessary evil, because having only specific spots where loot can become available again would be annoying to deal with.

I would say that the reason the government wouldn't 'drop in' to save everyone would have something to do with fear of infection: survivors in the quarantine zone are the 1% who are immune, whereas soldiers dropped in would quickly become zombies. Therefore the only solution is to try and keep the survivors alive by dropping emergency food, like in Japan after the nukes were dropped.

Ever heard of  apache helicopters? Why not just fly with large megaphones ordering everyone to hide in basements, and then fly around and shoot everything with M60 or other type of machinegun?

But apart from that, I'd like to see supply crates droped on the map. Since we already have heli crashes with military rifles, why not have crates washed up the shore or droped in towns and fields?

No, this would make looting buildings pointless right?

Buildings would still contain odd pieces of equipment, provide shelter, and act as hiding places. They would still act as vantage points for sharpshooters and contain some loot, such as axes, guns and general supplies such as maps, water bottles and backpacks.

Why do people need a back story all the bloody time, or lore as they call it *shakes head*. Yeah cause spawning after you have been shot to shit is totally realistic.

Just play the game and use your imagination ffs.

The spawn system while not realistic (yawn) is a fair system which (once we have respanwing loot) provides everyone an opportunity to get kitted up no matter what time you join the server.