Sign in to follow this  
karlkurtz32

Helping fresh spawns-Reality Check

I was at the NEAF today and was completely geared up. I made my way from the NEAF to the town of Svetlojarsk.  I decided to get on the rooftop to see if I could spot anyone to interact with.  Off in the far distance I notice zombies chasing something.  It is a fresh spawn.  He makes his way toward me and as he's doing so I start shooting the zombies that are chasing him.  I tell him my location and that he should come up for safety.  Naturally, he's apprehensive.  I tell him I'm friendly and ask him if he needs anything.  He then proceeds to say, "So, if I climb up there, you aren't going to shoot me, right?" I give him the go-ahead and he proceeds up the ladder to meet me.

I ask him what he needs most and he says he could really use some food and water.  So I open a can of food and place it on the ground for him.  Then I go back into my inventory to give him my canteen.  As I do that he suddenly puts his fists up and starts punching me.  I had no choice but to kill him so I quickly emptied a magazine of 5.56 into him.  As a result of the shooting, someone off in the distance heard it and killed me with probably an SKS or Mosin.  In the end I killed someone I didn't want to kill, ended up getting killed in return, and lost all of my gear.  All because I decided to be the good guy.  Lesson of the day: people are always looking out for #1.  With nothing to lose and everything to gain, fresh spawns are just as dangerous as anyone else.

Thats because death means nothing to fresh spawns. Without any gear to lose and without any real penalty for getting yourself killed going full bersek mode doesn't have many drawbacks. If you succeed to punch someone out you win his gear. If you don't and he kills you you will just respawn.

We need a much longer death timer to solve this.

Edited by Evil Minion
  • Like 1

Thats because death means nothing to fresh spawns. Without any gear to lose and without any real penalty for getting yourself killed going full bersek mode doesn't have many drawbacks. If you succeed to punch someone out you win his gear. If you don't and he kills you you will just respawn.

We need a much longer death timer to solve this.

^Agreed

• Like 1

Fresh spawns are the most dangerous thing in the game when in groups, I've seen 3 players batter an armed man into tears of rage.

Never drop/lower your weapon to anyone...every

Ummmm thanks?

I think the reason for his reply was because we see this same post about once a week. It's just a different person posting it each time. Until we are allowed to cut off the arms of other players(and cook em), then we have to put up with this type of aggression. But when I can start de-arming people, it's going to be a glorious society in Dayz. 

I'll only help people out when I can completely control the situation, and always let people know to leave 5-10 feet between us. I'll usually ask someone to stay seated or keep their hands up if I have to go into my bag to get something for them. 

If they make any hasty moves or really do anything that looks iffy, immediate bullet to the head..

Hopefully this sort of thing will lessen once The Infected become more prevalent. There will always be players with that mentality, as well as KOS'ers (and honestly I have done more than my share of KOS)...it's the nature of the beast.

I'd like to see a server with the 100's and 100's of zombies in each city that the dev team once spoke of as possible; where the sheer volume of them drawn to noises you make will be the most prevalent danger. If I could, I'd code the server such that zombies in proximity to you would be block you from logging out, with a death penalty if you deconned. You could climb to safety on top of the fire station, for example, but you'd have to literally wait for the hoard to disperse, or be pulled away by another player's noise. 

Additionally, I could get behind a server with a YOLO rule...if you die, you get auto banned for one day, one week, etc....whatever the server owner perfers. One day would be cool with me. If you were lone wolfing, death would mean no hope for recovering your gear. If you team up with people, that means they have to do with out you for the next 24 hours. Zombies should congregate around your corpse, devouring you and keeping someone who murdered you from reaching your gear without effort (drawing the zeds off with noise, or having enough ammo to deal with them all, etc.)

These are just random ideas, but after countless hours in both the mod and now SA, I can tell you as so many have, your experience is not just your own, and many of us yearn for a game that is more than just the murder simulator we have at this stage. I think the move towards more survival aspects is a good step.

I wouldn't say they are just as dangerous, but you cannot ever let one get near you.  You need to treat them with caution, because you do not know them.  Give them food, point to the water they need, but always treat them with care.

I find as a fresh spawn with nothing to lose I have the most fun interaction with other players.

its the only time you can just run up to someone and say hi and run around with a stranger without the stress that comes with armed and geared players friendly or not

I tend to  order fresh spawn away from me if I'm on the coast. But only reason ill be on the coast is meeting up with a friend. Otherwise I am always inland. I look at it this way most fresh spawn are players that just died recently and know what their doing, unless hes asking for help then I'll point  them towards any food
I have seen.