Sign in to follow this  
hoffa (DayZ)

How to test your microphone?

So, I didn't play the game for about a month, and yesterday I finally got a new headset so I went in the game again, feeling more confident now that I've got a chance of actually talking to others and maybe get them to NOT kill me every time. Unfortunately, you can never find another player so I've only had two encounters. First one was with a bunch of of Russian (?) players. I put my hands up, stand approximately 20-30 feet from them and say "hello". They were geared up, so I knew I was probably gonna die, but I was unarmed and just wanted to see if I could establish some sort of communication. 
One of the approached me, they started saying something in Russian (?), I've asked them if they could speak English - they shot me.
The other encounter was with another bambi, I came up to him, waved, said "hi", no clear reply. Then I typed if he could hear me, he said yes, but I wasn't sure if he heard me or just meant that he could read my message.
So... is there a way to test if my mic is working in game?

Then I typed if he could hear me, he said yes, but I wasn't sure if he heard me or just meant that he could read my message.

Have you used your mic for anything else that can be confirmed it works?  I.e. skype, teamspeak etc.

Have you used your mic for anything else that can be confirmed it works?  I.e. skype, teamspeak etc.

Not yet, I've just set it up in control panel, and in teamspeak. It worked in both cases. I'm probably gonna try skype later tonight. But the auto setup for mic (whatever it's called) in DayZ also works.

Not yet, I've just set it up in control panel, and in teamspeak. It worked in both cases. I'm probably gonna try skype later tonight. But the auto setup for mic (whatever it's called) in DayZ also works.

With those checked its safe to say it should be working fine, if others dont respond by mic it could be a number of other causes.

Edited by Steak and Potatoes

With those checked its safe to say it should be working fine.

That was my guess as well... unfortunately, I don't think I'm gonna stumble uppon a friendly player any time soon :D

That was my guess as well... unfortunately, I don't think I'm gonna stumble uppon a friendly player any time soon :D

Just takes time mate, stay classy.

when you check your mic in windows there should be a test option where you can speak and see the level lights flash green as sound inputs

or your welcome to test it later i will be online

It's working elsewhere, I just wasn't sure if the in-game voice chat actually works for me because I didn't get clear replies from people in encountered.

doubleklick on the speaker symbol in your taskbar

choose "Mixer"

choose Input device (your soundcard/chip)

use your mic... the amp should get a visible signal

or for quality:

install teamspeak... on step 4 or 5 u can hear your own voice by the installation.

Edited by quantum2k6