11tw

New Combat System!

I won't lie, the combat is the only thing in this game I don't like. The items, the crafting, the survival; I love it. But one thing that annoys me if the combat system. I would suggest a total overhaul of the system. Perhaps more of a click on a zombie to fight them, then press buttons when prompted to dodge and strike. That way animating and programming the fighting would be a lot easier. Players could be rewarded for pressing 'Y' at the right time with a decapitation, or an arm-chopping finisher!

Think MORTAL KOMBAT mixed with Heavy Rain!

Thanks for listening

11tw

This isnt Skyrim, and it would be cool but im pretty sure it wont happen.

Zombies are a work in progress.

You can dodge zombies with Q and E

• Like 1

I doupt this is the only thing you dont like because your other 3 posts are other things you want fixed.

That being said,they are a work in progress the last exparmental build was doing tests.

Players could be rewarded for pressing 'Y'

quick time events are a cancer in gameplay mechanics. i'd rather gouge my eyes out with rusty sponns than advocate such abominations

• Like 10

quick time events are a cancer in gameplay mechanics. i'd rather gouge my eyes out with rusty sponns than advocate such abominations

This! DayZ is not meant to be an arcade game and adding a mechanic like this in would ruin it completely!

• Like 1

I am not saying that quick-time is perfect, but if done well (heavy rain, resident evil 4, resident evil 5, tomb raiders misc.) it can be very good. It also reduces strain on a developing crew as animation is easier, so I was only thinking about how to make it as good as possible without a ridiculous amount of development. Also, quick-time can be good because it allows people to put their reflexes to use! In the current system you pull out your fists (or axe, not that it makes a difference) and just click click click till someone is dead. With a quick-time melee system this would be more intense and exciting, allowing for more competitive and frantic (see heavy rain) fighting.

On a separate note, the other things I have posted are either minor nitpicks about bugs or things which are to do with combat, so combat is the only thing I don't like about the game, meat pie.

What makes the game good is the survival element; any gaming staples can be used to good effect when paired with this. Most people just hate quick-time because it is often used terribly, but that is like hating movement because in some games it doesn't work very well.

I think the melee combat system does need reworking, not denying that but I don't think a quick time system would fit the game (They are trying to remove all UI and a big "Press Y now" wouldn't make sense at all). 

11880_677747632281609_1011221584_n.jpg

• Like 6

Could somebody say WHY they don't like quick-time? I am getting a lot of: 'It is stupid and shouldn't be in this game' and 'everything you say questions my moral imperatives', not: 'I don't care for quick-time much because.......... however I would agree that the system needs to be fixed because.........'

If we reply constructively it is more... constructive to the development process. I always try to give a point, evidence and explanation for concision and clarity.

• Like 1

Alright, here's why

DayZ is a survival simulator, not an action/arcade game

the melee system needs an overhaul, but NOT quick time events. This isn't supposed to be some gamey arcade whoever-pushes-y-first-wins kind of game. This is DayZ.

By the way, I didn't care for Heavy Rain.

• Like 2

Thank you for being clear, and now I understand why quick-time wouldn't work. And I get why some people don't like heavy rain, it's all subjective.

Any ideas for what kind of combat system would work? Any examples of games which could be emulated as far as combat goes?

To be honest if quick-time isn't on the table then the fighting in Oblivion/Skryim seems appropriate to me...

• Like 1

Well, for me it's already as arcade as it can be. I wouldn't want it to be more arcade than it is. There's already tons of games out there just like that. Heck, I wouldn't mind it being more "realist" and "simulator" like, but so many players are already complaining about it, that I doubt DayZ will ever be the "reallistic survival simulator" it could have been. ;)

• Like 2

How is there anything 'unrealistic' about systems in games like oblivion and heavy rain? I mean apart from the futuristic tech and the magic in the former and the latter, they are just ways of representing how fighting is in real life. As long as the interface allows you to... well interface, with the world effectively, it doesn't matter what sort of interface it is! How do you suggest we make the fighting just like in real life? Would you prefer motion controls? Turn-based strategy? AI controlled fighting? None of these would work, so we are left with only a few options. Use the system currently in the game (not really an option for making the game consistently enjoyable), use something creative and interesting, or copy a game in existence which has melee and ranged weapons. As long as the system changes, I don't mind.

How is there anything 'unrealistic' about systems in games like oblivion and heavy rain? I mean apart from the futuristic tech and the magic in the former and the latter, they are just ways of representing how fighting is in real life. As long as the interface allows you to... well interface, with the world effectively, it doesn't matter what sort of interface it is! How do you suggest we make the fighting just like in real life? Would you prefer motion controls? Turn-based strategy? AI controlled fighting? None of these would work, so we are left with only a few options. Use the system currently in the game (not really an option for making the game consistently enjoyable), use something creative and interesting, or copy a game in existence which has melee and ranged weapons. As long as the system changes, I don't mind.

Honestly, using your reflexes and the basic movement keys to interact in real time with the environment adds to the realism in my opinion. Having to press a certain key to make a specific animation breaks the immersion for me. To each his own. ( But in real life, no "Y" or "X" pops up in the air to dodge things or counter an attack...(Heavy Rain) Mind you, I love this game, but it's not for one bit "realistic" in my opinion. It has a great story, nice gameplay and is overall a great game.)

• Like 1

Could somebody say WHY they don't like quick-time? I am getting a lot of: 'It is stupid and shouldn't be in this game' and 'everything you say questions my moral imperatives', not: 'I don't care for quick-time much because.......... however I would agree that the system needs to be fixed because.........'

If we reply constructively it is more... constructive to the development process. I always try to give a point, evidence and explanation for concision and clarity.

to me, quick time events are lazy. quick time events put the action on rails, with predetermined stations. this removes any dynamics, and they usually break the immersion and flow. they reduce the action to a wait for the button prompt. it is much simpler to implement, of course, than having the ability for action and counteraction persist all the time.

i would love to have a proper melee combat system with the possibility to counter an axe swing or knife thrust through a time-critical action. but only if i would have to assess the right moment from the movements of my adversary, not waiting for an immersionbreaking visual as a cue to commence buttonmashing.

• Like 3

to me, quick time events are lazy. quick time events put the action on rails, with predetermined stations. this removes any dynamics, and they usually break the immersion and flow. they reduce the action to a wait for the button prompt. it is much simpler to implement, of course, than having the ability for action and counteraction persist all the time.

i would love to have a proper melee combat system with the possibility to counter an axe swing or knife thrust through a time-critical action. but only if i would have to assess the right moment from the movements of my adversary, not waiting for an immersionbreaking visual as a cue to commence buttonmashing.

Take my beans.

• Like 2

Because this is a survival simulator and the goal isn't supposed to be wading into a hoard of zombies with the intention of getting into a fight. Because what happens to your character as this animation is occuring? Do you get 2.5 seconds of god-mode while your character performs some type of animation? I respect everyone's oppinion but I really think it wouldn't fit with the rest of the game.

Oh and most importantly; because it would be one step closer to implimenting a katana of some type and I swear to neptunes watery butthole that if they put a katana in this game I'm going to drive to bohemia's headquarters and take a shit on someone's desk.