Rakkasan

* [NEW] Set Bear Traps that break player and infected legs, kills animals, when activ

Please tell me this fix/addition is a joke.

So instead of barbed wire, sandbags, and tanktraps blocking doors, we now have to worry about people placing bear traps all over?

I am all for new things but this one seems a bit...stupid.

Please tell me this fix/addition is a joke.

So instead of barbed wire' date=' sandbags, and tanktraps blocking doors, we now have to worry about people placing bear traps all over?

I am all for new things but this one seems a bit...stupid.

[/quote']

I felt the same way when I saw this. At first I was like "OH FUCK YEA! FUCKING BEAR TRAPS DEM BITCHES AINT SEEN SHIT!" But then I stopped to think about the current state of DayZ. What with all the barb wireing every freakin building. Maybe this will be the new trend for assholes to camp an area. Having said that, I bet there is a way to get AROUND said traps, rather than spawning into a building when you come back to the game the next day, next session, etc... and being locked into said building.

I'd be fine with this if it removed breaking your legs on a pebble.

Until pebbles don't pose a serious and all too real threat, I'd rather this wasn't implemented.

I like the idea, can give actual protection to your camp, could be used like a claymore, sniping from window or something someone attempts to come up behind you and crunch.

Actually, now I'm wondering if the traps make noise when they go off. Anyone know? That would be a pretty sweet sniper protection item.

Also, damn this topic. Whenever I try to quick reply it says the title is too long and I can't post unless I modify the freakin title, forcing me to have to do the normal reply option. /vent over

Until there is a "fix" to the server hopping approach vector ppl use any sort of new (and old) area denial crap is just that... useless crap.

These things better be super rare, I don't want to see bear traps laying around everywhere at door entrances or spawn.

All I ask, is that they be super rare that way people will think twice about placing it in places that they don't need it placed at.

Heh

You guis gonna be so mad when he adds in claymores, id's and landmines.

SOOOOOOOOO MAD.

DayZ needs attention in other areas, not sparkly new equipment or guns. i.e. perhaps address the HACKING issue.

DayZ needs attention in other areas' date=' not sparkly new equipment or guns. i.e. perhaps address the HACKING issue.

[/quote']

Yeah this needs to be addressed immediately. My friend who had his character for 2 weeks was killed yesterday by hackers. Entire server was killed instantly...

DayZ needs attention in other areas' date=' not sparkly new equipment or guns. i.e. perhaps address the HACKING issue.

[/quote']

Yeah this needs to be addressed immediately. My friend who had his character for 2 weeks was killed yesterday by hackers. Entire server was killed instantly...

I don't think it needs to be addressed as a priority. Your friend is going to die and so are you and all of us, repeatedly. If its at the hands of a hacker it might be a lot more frustrating than if its legitimately, however it is none the less inevitable. I think Rocket should fry each one of us randomly just to remind us that we are game testers, not paying clients with some sort of arrogant right to demand anything of him. Instead we are providing him feedback in exchange for a free game experience which is beyond original. Fell free to disagree with me, I'm not much of one to care about convincing people that they need to conform to my opinions.

Back on topic I also believe that the bear trap is pure genius. I was also frustrated with the wire and tank traps, however I also realize that it was duplication glitch that people took advantage of. The bear traps will likely be a rarer find and quite a satisfying addition to an incredibly innovative game.

Personally I can't wait to see one of you step on one that I lay down, and when it comes my time to entertain you by stepping on yours be assured I will go down with a fight and make my death and eventually looting me a thrilling experience for you as well. So enjoy it ;)

Hmm I have not died nearly as much by hackers as I have by fucking bugs, in fact I have died twice with NVG rangefinder you know all of that good stuff by simple bugs like debug forest or spawning 10 feet into the air and falling.

So wire citys are due to a duplication exploit then? Didn't know that but it makes sense...

Tbh, the introduction of bear traps needs to be done correctly, the main issue being that, at the minute, broken bones are a bit of a frustrating game ender forcing you to either crawl through dangerous areas to find morphine, or respawn as your area has no morphine options, all because you had a lapse in concentration whilst clearing a building or area.

I do like the broken bones mechanic, and would like to see bear traps introduced, however, I think that its not going to have the intended effect that people think, in that many believe it'll be an excellent protection for snipers who are getting snuck up on. It won't be. The best form of sniper protection is fieldcraft, which is already in place and being used VERY effectively by a lot of players. Bear traps would only help campers who will wait around corners until they hear the sound of the trap being taken down, only to pop round and shoot you in the head.

So wire citys are due to a duplication exploit then? Didn't know that but it makes sense...

Tbh' date=' the introduction of bear traps needs to be done correctly, the main issue being that, at the minute, broken bones are a bit of a frustrating game ender forcing you to either crawl through dangerous areas to find morphine, or respawn as your area has no morphine options, all because you had a lapse in concentration whilst clearing a building or area.

I do like the broken bones mechanic, and would like to see bear traps introduced, however, I think that its not going to have the intended effect that people think, in that many believe it'll be an excellent protection for snipers who are getting snuck up on. It won't be. The best form of sniper protection is fieldcraft, which is already in place and being used VERY effectively by a lot of players. Bear traps would only help campers who will wait around corners until they hear the sound of the trap being taken down, only to pop round and shoot you in the head.

[/quote']

Does it not happen in real life? A lapse in concentration and there is a consequence to that. If you drive in real life and have a lapse in concentration, you may crash the car. This is a simulator, meaning that if you have a lapse ingame (just like real life) there will be a variety of consequences that will be likely to occur.

i dont think bear traps will be much of a problem if theres a disarm option. Just got to be extra careful moving around which I'm sure most people playing DayZ are already.

I am fearing for the worst concerning the use of these traps, the idea of securing camps and so on is all good and dandy, but what is going to happen is that those server-hopping, wirespamming, a**holes are going to have access to an even more annoying torture-tool. BTW: its the same with barbed wire now, its not used as it should be, only a tool for server-hoppers..... nothing else

This has the potential to be really cool or really fucking stupid depending on how they handle it.

Personally I think they ought to hold off on these sort of static 'defenses' until they've figured out a way to deal with server hopping, both because it can make said defenses useless and because it leads to every area with worthwhile loot being completely fenced off/soon trapped to high hell by hoppers who want to protect their farm.

I believe this is a bad idea...It looks to be more concealable than barbed wire and tank traps, and in a game where morphine is hard to come by, people are just going to quit as soon as they get hit which would seriously decrease the fun of playing if you you've basically been had.

Also it seems that bear traps like regular traps will be heavily in favor of bandits, since they are the only ones that use traps to guard their loot and stave off people, which I think further exacerbates the problem of day z pvp, further turning the game into deathmatch chernaurus and again lessening cooperation between strangers, because everyone is out for themselves again, only this time they can legitimately deter and kill players easier. As LVG stated it could be cool to be sniping from a building and protect your back door at the same time. But I think that is giving too much of a relief system for snipers, already the hardest griefing demographic on day z that already have a huge advantage on players gear wise. These bear traps will literally let them have their cake and eat it too.

As a sniper, if you choose to go hunting players fine. their should be a drawback, you should have to watch your back for any encroaching survies or pay the consequences.

tl'dr I feel this is too heavily in favor of griefers and will put the regular playing survies at a large disadvantage. further exacerbating the pvp dilemma

I think it should be naturally assumed that if a sniper has no issues going on a shooting spree, that he has a bear trap behind him. Disarming and taking a bear trap should not require a toolbox, and as such, it would be a simple matter of taking the bear trap from the sniper.

His comment in the thread was, "Where's your sense of adventure!".

The most obvious use for it would be to cover a sniper's 6, but I can also seem them being useful to sprinkle through the forest near your campsite. Also, I just think the idea is cool. :P

The only issue I have is that bear traps should be basically useless against a human that knows where it is. I mean, you can disarm a bear trap with your bare hands, just by reaching in from the outside underneath the spring loaded bars and pressing the pressure plate. I imagine that they should make a decent deal of noise when they trigger, so maybe the toolbox would give you a silent disarm option?

This is clearly a new object to "annoy" players and thus a way to involve them to play with teammates even more... clearly a good idea on paper.

What I am scared of is if you can't see the traps because of bushes or darkness.

And what about the animations, the noises, the blood damages (leg + infection + loss of blood, I'd call that insta-death trap!)?!

Can you save yourself from it rapidly (faster if a player help you?), how long does it take to get off it if you get trapped?! Or maybe it can be triggered once without trapping you and then only damaging you (skyrim-like)...

The only tactical way I see myself using it is in front of buildings, so players who are approaching/hunting me have to put themself (if you can actually remove the trap (toolbox?! I hope not)) in an uncomfortable situation.

But there is definetly spots where you can place those to annoy players (when they walk around fences, for instance, or using blind-spot locations like ladders, who knows).

Like many people said before, if this new object is very rare, players will use it smartly.

Otherwise, if it's as common as barbed wire... cities will get very dangerous!

And, honestly, I don't see why snipers would need this.

You need to move from your spot frequently to get good visual or not to be spotted.

Maybe on some rare occasion and clearly not out in the jungle^^.

By the way, what about bear traps already set up on the map, ready to crush your legs?

Near deer stands, for instance. Forests would get more dangerous.