Sign in to follow this  
UltimateGentleman

Is this game real time or supposed to be?

So when the sun is nearly going down it takes like minutes for it to go down and for it to go almost pitch black, where in the world does this happen?

It surely shouldn't be that quick a transition.

And also food you can have two cans of food which will last you a few hours if you're moving around a lot, where if you were playing a while day you'd have eaten like maybe 6 cans of food or more to stay energized, plus water.

Who needs that much food for one day?

As far as I can tell it's not real time, in game time seems to go a lot faster than real life.

Well maybe not a lot but enough to make a noticable difference.

What are your thoughts on this, do you think it should be real time? Or maybe even faster, so that you need more food to survive.

I would kind of like it to be faster, so long as servers were set to start at like 8am instead of 3pm(what I see mostly, roughly)

Obviously it's not that realistic to be faster however you're never going to be playing it 24 hours consistently anyway, so perhaps a 12 hour day cycle could better make the time you put in to the game span a lot more of the game day.

It would make night time a lot more worth playing since if it was 3-4 hours of the game day then you could actually get through a night without having to waste all of your time playing the game.

Basically you could fit a lot more game time in but still have time to do things in your real life.

I would be more inclined to play at night if it didn't last so damn long with that and how little an amount of people play it, there's not much point other than to slightly challenge/scare yourself

I personally do like the original day to night cycle that was based on 24 hours but it's unrealistic when it comes to the gameplay speed and the hunger/thirst system.

I personally do like the original day to night cycle that was based on 24 hours but it's unrealistic when it comes to the gameplay speed and the hunger/thirst system.

Yeah this is the main problem, but if they were to make the gameplay and hunger/thirst system take realistically longer, the game would be way too easy a few cans of food would easily let you survive.

So I think making it a 12 hour day would be a great step, once people got used to it I'm sure they'd have a lot more fun since they could play the game 12 hours straight, experience a whole DayZ(see what I did there) and still have time for real world things like sleep or going outside or maybe eat food so as to not starve :P

Yeah this is the main problem, but if they were to make the gameplay and hunger/thirst system take realistically longer, the game would be way too easy a few cans of food would easily let you survive.

So I think making it a 12 hour day would be a great step, once people got used to it I'm sure they'd have a lot more fun since they could play the game 12 hours straight, experience a whole DayZ(see what I did there) and still have time for real world things like sleep or going outside or maybe eat food so as to not starve :P

Oh it would definitely make it way too easy.  I think 5 hours for day, 1 hour switching to dusk, 5 hours night and another hour switching to dawn to repeat the cycle would be perfect.

Many servers have 2 hour restarts so many do not see night time on servers.....sadly.

Oh it would definitely make it way too easy.  I think 5 hours for day, 1 hour switching to dusk, 5 hours night and another hour switching to dawn to repeat the cycle would be perfect.

Yeah that's basically what I had in mind, currently it's like "Oh it's getting dark" *5 minutes later* "It's completely black!"

It would be great to see the sun going down and having to scramble supplies for a campfire together so you can survive the night instead of just logging in to a daytime server since you would have to play night for like 8 hours to survive, which would be mostly boring.

Perhaps in different seasons night could be 3 hours long, day 7 hours long and then in another season 7 hour night 3 hour day etc. That little hint of variety would make the game so much more interesting to play, it would cut down server hopping too I'd imagine. I'd like to play on just one server but when everyone leaves at night it's so boring, if I'm going to roam around at night I want there to be some chance of encountering other players and a shorter night would allow just that.

Yeah that's basically what I had in mind, currently it's like "Oh it's getting dark" *5 minutes later* "It's completely black!"

It would be great to see the sun going down and having to scramble supplies for a campfire together so you can survive the night instead of just logging in to a daytime server since you would have to play night for like 8 hours to survive, which would be mostly boring.

Perhaps in different seasons night could be 3 hours long, day 7 hours long and then in another season 7 hour night 3 hour day etc. That little hint of variety would make the game so much more interesting to play, it would cut down server hopping too I'd imagine. I'd like to play on just one server but when everyone leaves at night it's so boring, if I'm going to roam around at night I want there to be some chance of encountering other players and a shorter night would allow just that.

Well until they fix the night time exploit, playing on a night time server is a bad idea.  I love night time in DayZ but the damn cheaters drive me nuts.

Well until they fix the night time exploit, playing on a night time server is a bad idea.  I love night time in DayZ but the damn cheaters drive me nuts.

You mean the gamma? To be honest I don't really consider it a cheat since the night is so unrealistically dark anyway, torches should be a luxury not a necessity in order to see.

Though obviously it's unfair when someone has their gamma up but you don't, they should just make it so night time is less dark since moonlight is more than enough to see in the dark in real life.

Right now basically all you can see is the sky and silhouettes of buildings or whatever against it so it's really not fun to play just inconvenient.

I'd be happy with the game if a less dark night was the case and it was real time but I'd rather it be less dark and not real time so it's easier at night but overall much harder.

With days being much shorter and food being needed more it would actually get scarce, right now even on non high loot servers and a 2 hour restart at the 1 hour 50 minute mark there's still enough food for all 40 players playing around.

So it would be awesome if starving after being in a server 6 hours was actually possible since currently it's a non issue if you know where to go when you spawn.

You mean the gamma? To be honest I don't really consider it a cheat since the night is so unrealistically dark anyway, torches should be a luxury not a necessity in order to see.

Though obviously it's unfair when someone has their gamma up but you don't, they should just make it so night time is less dark since moonlight is more than enough to see in the dark in real life.

Right now basically all you can see is the sky and silhouettes of buildings or whatever against it so it's really not fun to play just inconvenient.

I'd be happy with the game if a less dark night was the case and it was real time but I'd rather it be less dark and not real time so it's easier at night but overall much harder.

With days being much shorter and food being needed more it would actually get scarce, right now even on non high loot servers and a 2 hour restart at the 1 hour 50 minute mark there's still enough food for all 40 players playing around.

So it would be awesome if starving after being in a server 6 hours was actually possible since currently it's a non issue if you know where to go when you spawn.

Have you ever been out camping in the mountains?  You can't see a damn thing without any form of light.  Hell, even in the prairies you can't see shit.

• Like 1

Caboose187 speaks the truth.

When I'm camping in the woods the trees block moonlight, rivers are ink black you can't see them. Placing your foot without using a torch is scary, you've no idea how it will land.

Not every night is like this, but enough.

I will say this - if it took eating an entire box of cereal, 3 cans of beans, 3 cans of spaghetti sauce, a few cans of tactical bacon, followed by a worn zucchini and a pyramid of Pipsi cans to be full and hydrated in real life that would be awesome, I'd be friggin' Kobayashi!

amd_kobayashi.jpg

I mean, how much food should it really take??? Then again, it's just a game, but the game is focusing on being fairly realistic so eating Kobayashi levels of food and drink seems more "game/fake" than realistic.

Have you ever been out camping in the mountains?  You can't see a damn thing without any form of light.  Hell, even in the prairies you can't see shit.

No but I frequently go for 1am walks with my dog through a forest and can see alright.

I'm not asking for it to be totally clear just like a few metres in front of you rather than total blackness, when you're in trees it could be dark I guess but otherwise you should have enough light to navigate without having to up your gamma.

Plus your eyes in real life adjust to the dark after 5 minutes or so, it would be awesome if the game did that.

I will say this - if it took eating an entire box of cereal, 3 cans of beans, 3 cans of spaghetti sauce, a few cans of tactical bacon, followed by a worn zucchini and a pyramid of Pipsi cans to be full and hydrated in real life that would be awesome, I'd be friggin' Kobayashi!

I mean, how much food should it really take??? Then again, it's just a game, but the game is focusing on being fairly realistic so eating Kobayashi levels of food and drink seems more "game/fake" than realistic.

I don't think they should even try being 100% realistic with the game, it never will be really if you get shot and just put a bandage on and stab morphine in to yourself you're probably still gonna die, it has many features but it's far from realistic and always will be so I don't think they should get so hung up on the realism side.

If you got hungry way faster at least the game would be a struggle once you get energized, hydrated and healthy currently you are good to go, like forever.