Sign in to follow this  
OnePersian

M4 Silencer

Right, which, again... has nothing to do with the weapons themselves.

It has to do with the rarity/availability (or lack thereof) of ammunition. And the acknowledged problem of server hopping... and the WIP loot system. Of an Alpha state game.

Nothing to do with the weapons being "civilian" or "military".

And the post originally referred to mentioned weapons and ammo availability. My point is that I believe the problem is the over-abundance of ammo, no need to remove military grade weapons. A bolt-action will kill you as sure as an M4, but the M4 will require more discipline once you're not likely to be stumbling across hundreds of rounds at a time. (1 trip through the tents and I pass up 200+ rounds of M4 ammo since every magazine is full.)

However, if you're referring to what constitutes a "civilian" weapon from a "military" one, no need to split hairs... A civilian weapon would be one expected to be found in a civilian setting in pretty much any country other than the US and Arab nations. Proper hunting rifles, shotguns, and pistols.

It's also taught on youtube Karmicdebt. Stop acting as if only military people know anything. I thank you for your service to our country but, that doesn't dismiss the fact you're a douche. Read the quote in your own signature...

Spot on. Have my beans.

And the post originally referred to mentioned weapons and ammo availability. My point is that I believe the problem is the over-abundance of ammo, no need to remove military grade weapons. A bolt-action will kill you as sure as an M4, but the M4 will require more discipline once you're not likely to be stumbling across hundreds of rounds at a time. (1 trip through the tents and I pass up 200+ rounds of M4 ammo since every magazine is full.)

However, if you're referring to what constitutes a "civilian" weapon from a "military" one, no need to split hairs... A civilian weapon would be one expected to be found in a civilian setting in pretty much any country other than the US and Arab nations. Proper hunting rifles, shotguns, and pistols.

Well, no, I'm not splitting hairs. Because there's no hair to split. Civilian weapons, over the past 50 years, have become militarized. Civilian offerings of and/or use of assault rifles are/is commonplace, even in Eastern European countries. Likewise, former "military" weapons have been integrated into the civilian market to a degree as to become indistinguishable (i.e. Mosin, SKS, M1911, etc.) Saying something is objectively "civilian" is no longer applicable, and there's too large of a grey area for it to be significant. Now, it is applicable in certain scenarios (i.e. with LMGs/GPMGs which aren't usually sold on the open market anywhere). But those are specific applications, vice a broad connotation.

Never mind that this is fiction, and they're not (or shouldn't be) necessarily beholden to real-world circumstance.

However, it is especially insignificant when the art department (i.e. Chris Torchia) is using the Czech Republic, which has a wide variety of weapons available, as a source of inspiration. Here's a link to a picture gallery of a gun shop in Prague.

http://prahaexpat.blogspot.com/2009/10/czech-gun-shop.html

You'll find AR-15s, G3s, AKs, Sterling SMGs, Beretta M9s, Thompsons, Uzis, Skorpions, and EOTechs... in addition to "Western" ammunition. All available to civilians.

If you mean hunting rifles, then say that. But even then, there are AR-15s built specifically for hunting. So, it's not a discussion of semantics, the wider a term you use to describe something... the less applicable it becomes.

Point being, there's no reason to distinguish based upon the arbitrary "military" or "civilian" divide in terms of what's plausibly to be found in X. Instead, it is more relevant to discuss which weapons should spawn in limited numbers and which ones shouldn't, as to justify the advantages conferred upon certain types of weapons (i.e. modularity, full-automatic, long-range capability, etc.)

And for the record, the original post which I was questioning called for the outright removal of the M4 and the imposition of "civilian" weapons only. It was far more geared toward that objective, vice mentioning ammunition rarity in passing.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 2

Isnt it strange that despite being told that the moniker 'Son' is perceived as derogatory, he continues to use it.

I think it is fantastic that a medic has been trained to use 42 different weapons though. :)

oh thats simple, ranges have to have medical coverage. This is done through unit rotation.

At the end of the day the range NCOIC walks up and asks the medic if they want to qualify due to the fact

they want to use the ammo up rather than turn it back in(saves a couple hours and tons of paperwork)

and the only difference between me and a line puppy then was I carried everything they did and a 35

pound M5 aid-bag as well. 

oh thats simple, ranges have to have medical coverage. This is done through unit rotation.

At the end of the day the range NCOIC walks up and asks the medic if they want to qualify due to the fact

they want to use the ammo up rather than turn it back in(saves a couple hours and tons of paperwork)

and the only difference between me and a line puppy then was I carried everything they did and a 35

pound M5 aid-bag as well. 

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I did wonder why you would need such extensive training. :)