Sign in to follow this  
Zelda (DayZ)

Slightly puzzled!

Hi guys, I'm Mike (AKA Zelda Zombie). 

I've read a lot of posts, and I have seen a lot of videos and I have also obviously purchased the Alpha.

The potential in DayZ is completely evident, but I must say I think I'm missing a trick here.

I spawn, I run around for a while and either get killed by a zombie or another player (why is it apparently instinct to kill a fellow player?)
But apart from this I never find food weapons or shelter! - The only thing I have found in my 4 hours of intermittent play is one screw driver.

I followed the coast line to try and find some more towns etc.

Is there a quicker way to travel ? 
Or to find shelter? 

Or to infact, find a decent weapon? 
I only start with my clothes, a battery and a torch.

Sorry for all the questions! - I'm pretty pscyed about assisting in the alpha :)

Regards

Mike

Currently, loot doesn't respawn unless the server is restarted so it has probably already been looted :-)

Welcome to Chernarus! Be careful out there

Hey Mike

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to dayz! It is good to see a new player with a positive outlook, I am sure you will more than enjoy the game :)

I won't go into too much detail, as I don't want to ruin your experience. Your first footsteps in Chernarus is quite overwhelming and special. Enjoy these moments when things are fresh, the land is new and the thirst for adventure is hungry.

The coast is full of fresh spawns, and fellow survivors ready to grief. This is no place to hang around for too long, if you wish to survive. It is usually picked clean as you have found out. For a higher chance of survival and all the goodies you could wish for, including weapons, try heading inland. 

You could take shelter in a house, barn or even hole up in a garage if you wanted to. Unfortunately the mechanics for base building/reinforcement is not in yet so you cannot hold it down unless you want to put up a fight.

Travel by foot only atm.

As for people shooting first, there currently isn't a whole lot you can do once geared up except for shoot people

Don't get lulled into this Mike there is more than one way to play. It is all up to your imagination and creativity. 

Good luck on your travels. Have some beans for the road and stay safe!  :beans:

• Like 3

Thanks for the replies guys.

So am I correct in thinking everyone starts out with nothing? Or do you eventually aquire default items that you can equip to your default player?

Is there any form of saving? Even if it's only on one server at a time?

How do people get geared up so quickly?

And as for maps? You have to just find them?

Correct, everyone starts out on the beach with the clothes on your back. Once you get your bearings head away from the coast and look for different houses and buildings. Different buildings spawn different items but once you get the hang of it you will know what to skip. The only form of saving at the moment is what you currently have in your inventory. Maps spawn, mainly in pieces though. If you find different sections just drag one on top of the other, it should turn a shade of orange and give you the option to combine the to halves and then you get a new map. As for people getting geared so fast, if you know where to look for certain things like food, water, weapons and clothing it goes a lot easier or you can kill another player for their loot. The choice us yours on how you play whether you help people, shoot people or avoid them altogether.

You can use any sharp object to open cans of food as well as use it to protect yourself and if you find a water pump and have a canteen or bottle put it in your hands, face the pump and use your scroll wheel until you get the option to fill the bottle or you can drink directly from the pump. Happy hunting out there, be leery of others as they are the only real threat in the game at the moment. Take time to get into cover and observe your surroundings before running gung ho into a major city or military complex on a full server as this is the best way to get shot.

I almost forgot, if you can find sticks, rope and a burlap sack you can make an improvised courier bag. Once you have the courier bag combine it with another stick and you will craft a  improvised backpack. The improvised courier bag has 12 slots and the improvised backpack has 20 slots. Hope this is helpful

Edited by Tobias Winfro
  • Like 1

Thanks Tobias! So if I want to save my clothes and weapons for another server I can place them in my bag and use them next time I spawn? Or it doesn't work like that?

All you have to do is have the guns, ammo, food, water etc on your character somewhere. Weapons, both melee and ranged will stay on your back, all of the other survival items in your shirt, pack, pants and vest/holster will save and go from server to server with you until that character dies or get glitched out. Some servers will reset your gear, I've only ever been on a few. Loot is easy enough to find though if that happens as long as you go inland. In my travels, the glitchy servers aren't that common but they do happen so don't be too bummed if this happens to you

the only time your character data isn't saved is if you switch to a hardcore server.  Hardcore and normal servers operate from different databases so you can have a regular character and a hardcore character.

SNIP

I almost forgot, if you can find sticks, rope and a burlap sack you can make an improvised courier bag. Once you have the courier bag combine it with another stick and you will craft a  improvised backpack. The improvised courier bag has 12 slots and the improvised backpack has 20 slots. Hope this is helpful

You only need the sticks for the backpack,  IE (Rope + Burlap Sack = Courier Bag) + Sticks = Improvised Backpack. Otherwise awesome info!

Source :

http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Improvised_Courier_Bag

http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Improvised_Backpack

In addition if you don't have a problem with meta gaming, you can find a map here : 

http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus#4.127.022