Kefa

How to know which servers to avoid?

So, bought Day Z recently and I really like it. Playing with some IRL friends which makes it a ton more fun. Everything about the game is acceptable atm taking into consideration that it is in "alpha" state and that the team working on it isn't completely professional.

BUT, one huge problem exists. The character resets.

Two times now have I been the vicitim of a server (I guess?) wiping my character. I know the difference between regular and hardcore and that some servers have different settings and aren't a part of the so called "hive" (Not sure what that means though). There are probably other factors to take into consideration which I am unaware of.

I don't really want to play this game if switching servers is more dangerous than trying to loot Balota Airstrip on a high pop server. Does anyone have any pro tips on how to know which servers are safe to join and which aren't? Is there any way to know or does it come down to trial and error?

well for one the servers that are not connected to the hive means they do not communicate so to speak with the servers that are a part of the hive, so it means they have their own character data for you and since you are new to that server they do not remember you thus you are a fresh spawn on it, now any server connected to the hive will remember your position, gear, and statistics, so you can hop from one hive server to another and have the same character. Best way to check if a server is part of the hive is to see if it has a custom name such as "Gamers Utopia", or some random thing like that if it has a custom name its most likely not part of the hive and thus has its own private character info so none of the stuff you did on the hive servers will effect this one and vice versa. And for character resets on hive servers, there nearly always is a complete character reset with every new patch to the stand alone, which means since its in Alpha still expect to see lots more of these in the future :) 

• Like 2

The problem that I have had is that I joined a server and got a fresh spawn even though I didn't die on the previous one. When I later rejoined "my" old server where I am playing most of the time I still had a fresh spawn with no gear etc.

Does this have anything to do with how fast you switch servers? I was playing with a friend late at night and we were just switching servers with our characters being at the airfield/international airport. Does you character get reset if you switch servers to fast/often?

The problem that I have had is that I joined a server and got a fresh spawn even though I didn't die on the previous one. When I later rejoined "my" old server where I am playing most of the time I still had a fresh spawn with no gear etc.

Does this have anything to do with how fast you switch servers? I was playing with a friend late at night and we were just switching servers with our characters being at the airfield/international airport. Does you character get reset if you switch servers to fast/often?

Nothing at all. Chances are, if you joined server A and grabbed a few items, jumped off and logged onto server B and your character has reset, it's either due to the fact server A is reg and server B is hardcore, alternatively you may have been killed just before you log off. You character remains in position for about 30 seconds once you exit the game, to prevent combat logging. During this time it's possible someone can kill you.
  • Like 1

Nothing at all. Chances are, if you joined server A and grabbed a few items, jumped off and logged onto server B and your character has reset, it's either due to the fact server A is reg and server B is hardcore, alternatively you may have been killed just before you log off. You character remains in position for about 30 seconds once you exit the game, to prevent combat logging. During this time it's possible someone can kill you.

Didn't know your character remained online for 30 seconds after you exit. My friends (that have been playing a bit longer than me) are trying to convince me that combat logging works and that your character dissapears almost instantly. I guess that must be the case then, I probably got killed.

It's a bit of a relief since I was afraid of playing on any other server after the incident.

Edited by Kefa

you dont. Simple as that.

There's no blacklisting/reputation or report function in place, if you dont know who provide the server, you cant do anything to report it.

Just deal with it.

you dont. Simple as that.

There's no blacklisting/reputation or report function in place, if you dont know who provide the server, you cant do anything to report it.

Just deal with it.

Is there any list available with servers that are "safe", a part of the "hive"? That would come in really handy in case what you say is true. But according to emigrates there are only two different types of servers and no resets should occur no matter what server you join.

Is there any list available with servers that are "safe", a part of the "hive"? That would come in really handy in case what you say is true. But according to emigrates there are only two different types of servers and no resets should occur no matter what server you join.

some servers do reset your character and you'll only know it after you join it and spawn on the coast.

Technically all servers are divided in two hives, but due to the "ALPHER" factor that everybody in these forums loves, some providers just say a "fuck it" to network problems and it causes you to lose your character on some servers.

Welcome to DayZ. Enjoy your stay and remember: ALPHER! is the answer to any bug or flaw you encounter in your journey here.

Edited by lipemr

So, bought Day Z recently and I really like it. Playing with some IRL friends which makes it a ton more fun. Everything about the game is acceptable atm taking into consideration that it is in "alpha" state and that the team working on it isn't completely professional.

BUT, one huge problem exists. The character resets.

Two times now have I been the vicitim of a server (I guess?) wiping my character. I know the difference between regular and hardcore and that some servers have different settings and aren't a part of the so called "hive" (Not sure what that means though). There are probably other factors to take into consideration which I am unaware of.

I don't really want to play this game if switching servers is more dangerous than trying to loot Balota Airstrip on a high pop server. Does anyone have any pro tips on how to know which servers are safe to join and which aren't? Is there any way to know or does it come down to trial and error?

Come on friend.  You're server hopping for loot.  If you can't figure out which servers to avoid for your 0 population looting, you deserve the reset.  Sorry, but that's the truth.  We experienced kind know what to look for and to avoid, and also that 99% of the time even if you encounter one of these servers, as long as you disconnect and reconnect to a proper server (IE one you've you played before...), nothing will be lost.

Happy hopping.

• Like 1

I've never come across a server that can reset your character. I've joined servers which claim to reset your character, but they've all been servers for people to privately gather equipment. If you and your friend go into an empty area, one of you log out and one watch him, you'll notice his character sits down, this is the logging out phase, the character is still able to be killed during this time. Hope it helps!

some servers do reset your character and you'll only know it after you join it and spawn on the coast.

Technically all servers are divided in two hives, but due to the "ALPHER" factor that everybody in these forums loves, some providers just say a "fuck it" to network problems and it causes you to lose your character on some servers.

Welcome to DayZ. Enjoy your stay and remember: ALPHER! is the answer to any bug or flaw you encounter in your journey here.

After over 300 hours in the Standalone I have never ever had my character wiped. Not one single time.

I'm starting to think it's a myth like Bigfoot or Elton John.

• Like 2

After over 300 hours in the Standalone I have never ever had my character wiped. Not one single time.

Same here, except I could only wish Elton John was a myth.

Edit: 100th Post :D

Edited by emigrates
  • Like 1

Come on friend.  You're server hopping for loot.  If you can't figure out which servers to avoid for your 0 population looting, you deserve the reset.  Sorry, but that's the truth.  We experienced kind know what to look for and to avoid, and also that 99% of the time even if you encounter one of these servers, as long as you disconnect and reconnect to a proper server (IE one you've you played before...), nothing will be lost.

Happy hopping.

Haha, I don't really see server hopping as something to be frowned upon. It's really hard to start from scratch on a high pop server and if I have to choose between a server with 5 - 10 players or one with 2 - 3 I might as well choose the one with the less amount.

And that was the point of this thread, for you "experienced" people to give me pro tips on what servers to aviod. So far no one seems to know.

• Like 1

Haha, I don't really see server hopping as something to be frowned upon. It's really hard to start from scratch on a high pop server and if I have to choose between a server with 5 - 10 players or one with 2 - 3 I might as well choose the one with the less amount.

And that was the point of this thread, for you "experienced" people to give me pro tips on what servers to aviod. So far no one seems to know.

Want loot?

Hide behind the trees just outside the East jail in NEAF. Log out once safe and find a server that is pretty early in the morning under 'time' filter. Look for a US/AU or Pacific server with massive ping and 0 players. Join, collect loot from NEAF. Run to safe play (either trees outside Jail or Treeline for a safer bet), collect all the loot to the best of your ability and to put it into protective boxes/Ammo boxes. Rinse & repeat. 

If you want an easy place to gear ger, join a high pop server in Berezino, find a dead body and loot it - find someone without a helmet, flank them and knock them out. Steal their gear and slot them in the back of their head for lolz.

• Like 1

Want loot?

Hide behind the trees just outside the East jail in NEAF. Log out once safe and find a server that is pretty early in the morning under 'time' filter. Look for a US/AU or Pacific server with massive ping and 0 players. Join, collect loot from NEAF. Run to safe play (either trees outside Jail or Treeline for a safer bet), collect all the loot to the best of your ability and to put it into protective boxes/Ammo boxes. Rinse & repeat. 

If you want an easy place to gear ger, join a high pop server in Berezino, find a dead body and loot it - find someone without a helmet, flank them and knock them out. Steal their gear and slot them in the back of their head for lolz.

That last tip sounds really good. Will have to try it some time.

• Like 1

and you clearly represent all 2 million players playing the game weekly, despite multiple reports of wipes upon joining specific servers, right?

There's people that claim that they never encountered a hacker ingame, but they exist, dont they?

It's not necessarily that server hopping is frowned upon, it's how you can and some people do play the game right now.  If you really want to get geared up and go fight people, you're going to have a hell of a time doing it on a 40 person server where at least 25% of people are really geared, and probably 50% at least have a weapon of any type.  Until they change to private hives, and even with sub-hive groupings, server hopping for gear will persist.

PS - Server Restart = Time goes to 12:00 > 8:00 > 9:20 > Actual Server time.  See a server that's 9:20 AM?  It just restarted.  Uh oh, cat's out of the bag.

and you clearly represent all 2 million players playing the game weekly, despite multiple reports of wipes upon joining specific servers, right?

There's people that claim that they never encountered a hacker ingame, but they exist, dont they?

Hackers exist but they're not invincible, just highly annoying.  I have yet to also encounter one beyond one guy who was doing some basic trolling and slow rate warping; except for every other magazine having 9,000,000 bullets because kids are dumb and don't just freeze the value...

If you're joining a server that has some stupid name that does not look like a standard server hosting name, unedited, then you're probably going to get some hilljack server not connected to the hive yet or ever.  Use your brain, Spock.

All I said is I've never had a character wiped. Neither has anyone I've ever played with. So from my perspective it's obviously a very, very small group of people that might have this problem.

And it's not me so that's all that really matters. ;)

Didn't know your character remained online for 30 seconds after you exit. My friends (that have been playing a bit longer than me) are trying to convince me that combat logging works and that your character dissapears almost instantly. I guess that must be the case then, I probably got killed.

Case closed. Please, tell your friends.

I guess there should be an on-screen message when logging out so that people know this.

Next time you log back in and you're a fresh spawn on the beach, log out right away then log back in. Works every time. Unless you got killed by combat logging ...then you dead lolz

Edited by AGBenny

Does anyone have any pro tips on how to know which servers are safe to join and which aren't? Is there any way to know or does it come down to trial and error?

Bad: Jimmy Tango's Fat Busters Clan Server - Max Loot - 1 Hour Restarts - Free Toaster Server

Good: US West 1-2 Vilayer Server

Bad: Joe Shit The Ragman's Bukkake Party - 45 Minute Restarts - High Loot Server

Good: GB 1-115 MultiplayGameServer

Bad: Ba Ba Booey's Private Flafla Flowfly Server Join = Kick

Good: SG 1-2 Gamservers.com

Look for an air of legitimacy and you should be ok. Find some low pop servers with a decent ping and favorite them. Find some high pop servers with a good ping and favorite them. 

If you want, I can return to this thread or reply to a PM with the servers that are on my favorites list…either way, send me a PM and I'll hook it up. Hope this helps.

Edited by Weyland Yutani
  • Like 2

I have about 5 or 6 servers in my favourites and I generally only play on them. I choose by which has best ping at the time, what time of the day or night it is and how many people are on depending on if I'm looking for some action or some gear.

Just do yourself a favor and never go in to Russian server! There are hackers, banditkids, KOS and people who mumble their non sence language :(

I can attest to it being real. I have experienced it twice. They seem to spawn you in as a woman regardless of your character settings. However, it is reversible as long as you spot it early. Be sure every time you log off you will recognize your surroundings next log-in even if you log in on a night cycle. (I.e. in a bush or looking at a tree/rock) If you do join a server that spawns you anywhere other than where you last logged out, do not move or even look around, exit immediately. Don't panic if your startup screen shows a fresh spawn. Don't attempt to change settings etc. Just rejoin a server from your History or Favourites list and you should spawn back in with your past hive character.  If you hit a server that reset your character and you move that character, the hive will be updated and the change will not be reversible. Now what I don't know is if in that 30 second log-out after getting the reset, if some twit or zed spawn-kills you, if that will register on the hive triggering a dead/respawn against your hive character.

As far as I can tell, where this has happened to me is on certain servers that appear to have been customized, usually having low pop. (likely because no one wants to lose their characters!) I don't know if these have been set up as honey-pots for spawn jumpers, griefing hacked, or what. Best thing to do is make a note of them, and try and find a core set of servers to play on if your common one gets full or you need a lower pop server to loot up in.

• Like 1