Sign in to follow this  
unrealfu

So I took the plunge...

I have never really been into the whole tactical realism thing, it has always put me off games before, heck, even when they added the food meter in Minecraft I was disappointed!

My online gaming background goes back nearly 10 years now. I started with FarCry, which is still the best gaming experience I've ever had, moved onto competitive Call of Duty 2 and then 4, a few years back I stopped playing competitive due to finishing university and getting a 'real life', however I remained casual, playing WoW and Starcraft 2.

Looking at the games in my history, DayZ should not appeal to me, and it didn't.

A few of my friends got ARMA for DayZ and were raving about it to me, I resisted, 'knowing' that this wouldn't be a game I would enjoy.

I had stuck like superglue to Diablo 3 since it had been released, had a great time progressing through it until my Demon Hunter got the nerf bat, and I found progressing through Act 4 inferno impossible. Refusing to regear I decided to give ARMA and DayZ a go.

From the get go, I found myself fully immersed. I had never been so scared playing a game before, even though I am a big sissy when it comes to scary stuff, this was on a level I had never experienced. My friends have a veteran server, so you could say I was dropped in right at the deep end. I had no idea what I was doing and the slightest noise around me was causing me to cower and whimper.

After a couple of deaths I managed to find myself a gun, only to realise that a gun is probably the worst thing you can EVER have when your used to spraying the s*** out of anything you see (the downfall of CoD!) so this experience was short lived (literally).

My next attempt proved more fruitful, and I managed to find my way to my friends and we raided for hours. I died during that nighttime because I fell off a ladder :(

During my first few days I racked up 2 murders, whilst assisting in around 5 others. Our favourite tactic was to find someone and stalk them, occasionally saying "mine mine mine mine" over in game talk (

) to freak them out. The results often being hilarious.

Last night, after 4 day(Z) of playing we ventured into a military airfield.

My friends, who are very careful with everything they do, made me wait for 15 minutes while they tried to figure out who was spawning zombies on the other side of the field. Eventually we found the source as gunfire went rampant, there were 2 people in a barracks, pulling hordes of zombies. After 20 minutes, I had had enough, I decided I would go for a "LEROY!!!" and legged it across the field towards the barracks, where fire was still raining down and more and more zombies were being pulled.

About half way across the field I realised I had made a big mistake. I had worked pretty hard on this guy and I really didn't want to lose him. So I hit the deck hard, petrified. My friends were laughing at me on TS, because they could hear how much I was terrified and how dumb I had been. But I decided "no guts, no glory" and began to crawl the good 400 meters to the barracks, where still more fire was going on...

30 minutes after initial contact, I got within 20 meters of the barracks, my hand now shaking, I was losing my bottle. We were not sure of how many people were in there, our best guess was three by all the weapons we were hearing, and we thought there might be more hanging around, especially as they were being so noisy. I slowly crawled to the window, observed by my peers, who were actually trying really hard to keep me alive now, they had taken protective positions in case I got into trouble.

Standing up at the window, I immediately spotted a tango proning on the ground looking out of the door. Too scared to shoot, I quickly proned myself and told my friends in a very shaky voice that I had spotted one. They wanted me to check the other windows before taking action.

I stood back up, walked my way passed another window, clear, another, clear, last window, clear. I was now out of my head with fear. We knew there were more than one, why could I only see one??? After some motivational speech from our group leader, the time had come to "do or die", I got up at the first window again, took aim, and unleashed hell on the body on the floor.

At this point, my adrenalin reserves were running dry. I screamed... very loud....it was time to run. Fast. I ran for cover, regrouped with my team scouting began again to find our missing perps.

We eventually found them and killed them, and for our troubles, stumbled across their camp which came fitted with a HUM-V. The HUM-V lasted about an hour, we had a great time in it, crashed it once but managed to fix it. Until our server restarted or crashed (we didn't work out which) and when we logged back in it was gone :(

Why am I telling you all this? I'm sure its not the most gripping story you ever heard..

Well, I have never experienced a game with so much immersion. Which invokes so much emotion and takes so much effort to play. In my eyes it is a turning point in gaming and I can only see it getting bigger and bigger.

Sure there is a lot wrong with it, but the thing that makes it so spectacular, is that there is so much wrong with it, yet its still excels (if that makes sense?). I don't think I've ever experienced a game still so heavily in development and seen so much potential in it.

If the team keep adding to it, and ironing out its flaws, this game will go far, very far.

So there is an essay full of positives, it seems only fair I post some of the negatives as well as to offer an objective point of view.

Movement feels very clunky, to the point of being very slow and unresponsive, however I am unsure as to whether this is the game rather than the mod (?)

Navigation is very difficult, I'm awful with maps (male...go figure!) and struggle to get around using the in game map, most of the time I have to get my friends to come and get me!

I feel not allowing server admins to actually kick or reserve slots in their servers is overly harsh, although kicking to create room is bad, reserving slots would be a lot kinder considering they are paying for the server, but I guess this issue has been brought up a lot :)

That's literally all I can think of. Any other negative aspects I can think of are clearly bugs or WIP's and will be sorted in due time.

So I would like to thank the DayZ team, for giving me a gaming experienced unparalleled by anything I have ever seen before, and I hope that we have only seen the tip of the iceberg!

TL;DR

Game's good, go buy it.

I think this type of feeling is exactly what Rocket was going for.

I think (but don't quote me) it was a UH-1H Huey

probably not classed as a hum-v, but that's what we were calling it

During my first few days I racked up 2 murders' date=' whilst assisting in around 5 others. Our favourite tactic was to find someone and stalk them, occasionally saying "mine mine mine mine" over in game talk (

) to freak them out. The results often being hilarious.

[/quote']

It's funny you say this :V I do this all the time, whether in DayZ or not.

Gun? "Mine" Money? "Mine" Very rare item? "MINE MINE MINE"

probably not classed as a hum-v' date=' but that's what we were calling it

[/quote']

I'm confused, you found a chopper or a road vehicle? UH-1H is a helicopter

probably not classed as a hum-v' date=' but that's what we were calling it

[/quote']

I'm confused, you found a chopper or a road vehicle? UH-1H is a helicopter

Ha, now I feel like a dumbass :D

It was like a pick up truck of some sort. Military style, with space in t he back for passengers.

My online gaming background goes back nearly 10 years now. I started with FarCry' date='

[/quote']

It's been ten years since the release of Far Cry already? You made me feel really old and I'm only 20 :(

Hey,

Enjoyed reading your story. I was in the same boat as you I literally bought Diablo 3 played it for 2 days (got to level 13 lol) and then heard about this game, bought it and haven't played anything else since.

Also for future reference about vehicles after you get one take it to a spot you think is safe and jump out and mousewheel over it till you get the save option. Now if the server randomly resets or crashes the vehicle SHOULD be back where you saved it if its not right next to you when you log back in. No guarantees though but it will increase your chances of keeping it

Love reading stories like these, because I know the feeling of that adrenaline rush so well. It's crazy the way your body and mind responds to this game. It's really survival instinct kicking in. You just really don't want to die. This makes a lot of encounters very memorable.

About navigation being difficult; I love that the map doesn't show where you are. It's another skill you, as a person, have to develop. And not in an artificial way, like 'mapreading skill increased by 5, congrats'. No you really have to learn how to read a map. Personally I think that's awesome, but maybe that's because I have no trouble at all finding my way.

hehe navigation does get tough, there are some areas where its quite easy to think your somewhere else, even looking for land marks doesn't always work so you need to get really creative when trying to figure out where you are.

my favourites are matching deer stands to map locations or using the binoculars to read town signs.

You found a Land Rover

arma2oa2012050722483120.png from google.

Nice story' date=' good experience man. :)

[/quote']

After a little digging of my own, it was actually a normal civilian truck

V3S_Civ_en.jpg

Maybe a bit less extravagant than I let on, but was still a euphoric moment :D

Sounds like you brought a lot of the COD mentality with you..... Even after learning the mechanics

Welcome to DayZ!

Now dive in a little deeper, grab the two DLC packs for Operation Arrowhead! There are some MASSIVE co-op 'Domination' servers and several other solid mods like Project Reality.

Sounds like you brought a lot of the COD mentality with you..... Even after learning the mechanics

Uh, oh! Not the dreaded "CoD mentality." Quick, someone hang him from the nearest tree and then burn the body. We don't want to take any chances.

Your'e certainly right about that! :) After playing the game for so long it has engraved certain tendencies into me, lack of patience being one of them!

One of the most notable ones is as soon as I sit down at any computer, regardless of what I am doing... my left hand always jumps straight to the WASD keys! :D