direwind

disable 3rd person view.

Well, since there is no way of changing the FOV to something reasonable I pretty much need the third person view in order to not get a massive headache

3dp makes you invisible, now i've heard it all.

i'd prefer that someone pans the screen round a corner and sees me rather than me having to be stuck in first person and not even glimmer at ppl running in the distance in my non-existant peripheral vision, also crawling, which is what you spend at least 4/5ths of your time doing while around towns, great view in first person, i compare it to that of a screen saver with all the grass just flattening into more grass, which then flattens into even more grass, that is one bit of immersion i can live without.

irl, you are much more aware of your surroundings than what first person is capable of showing. 3dp just gives you a bit of that freedom back. there are games that limit what you can actually see in 3rd person by blocking characters and objects that aren't in direct line of sight, maybe that would be a better compromise. the problem with that is you have players popping into sight when they run into your LoS.

I'm immersed more by third person than first.

made me smile :)

yes nothing more immersive than a camera floating above your shoulder :)

Ill just hide behind this rock and use my magic camera to look over it :)

I do only play on Expert settings severs btw. I just like reading all the lame excuses people who want 3rd on try to use to justify it :)

i laugh at the people saying fp is more immersive, the game is more immersive when you play the way you like dont troll, people like different things get over it and play what you like tyvm :)

i refuse to play on 3dp disabled servers so if if it goes i simply will not play any more.

just leave it the way it is! let the server admins decide!

How about in removing 3rd person, we fix head bobbing so it isn't so damn odd feeling, better movement in buildings and in general, being able to slightly raise your self off the ground without going to crouch, better peaking around corners with lean, better way to simulate peripheral vision, better way to simulate awareness of your surroundings like trees or that building you are next too when moving, and than maybe it would be fine.

deleted

How about in removing 3rd person' date=' we fix head bobbing so it isn't so damn odd feeling, better movement in buildings and in general, being able to slightly raise your self off the ground without going to crouch, better peaking around corners with lean, better way to simulate peripheral vision, better way to simulate awareness of your surroundings like trees or that building you are next too when moving, and than maybe it would be fine.

[/quote']

You've got yourself ARMA 3. Graz

you miss quoted me fella i like 3dp thats the point, and i do play on servers with it ON.

i would find it considerably harder to play effectively if they removed it altogether.

Well' date=' since there is no way of changing the FOV to something reasonable I pretty much need the third person view in order to not get a massive headache

[/quote']

You can change FOV.

Besides, ArmA 2 has freelook so you don't need 3rd person to look around.

Well' date=' since there is no way of changing the FOV to something reasonable I pretty much need the third person view in order to not get a massive headache

[/quote']

You can change FOV.

You must enjoy get stuck in buildings due to bugged arma2 engine.

No pain killers? twitching like a cocain sniffer? no problem switch to 3rd person view' date=' fart out your soul and view yourself in all your glory! then you can see your self twitch without the nasty drawbacks

Damn those pesky trees and bushes, are you prone? can't see? well hit that button and switch to 3rd person view! you can then magically see all around you! the eye of sauron has nothing on you!

in a building? need to see out that door but cant move? WELL say no more, hit that 3rd person button! you'll be able to see even while your are cowering under that table, who needs a friendly ghost when you can use 3rd person view!

you scavaging on a roof? did some one fire and miss at you? did you soil your pants then dive to the floor before realizing you wont be able to see where he shot from? Say no more! hit that 3rd person button and you wont have a problem!

force all players into fp view, in a mod like this you shouldnt be able to go into 3rd person view no matter how useful and game breaking it is. it just ruins the immersion and makes other aspects of the game pointless.

[/quote']

Play on first person server only then PROBLEM SOLVED:)

[/quote']

You can change FOV.

I play 1st person and I don't get stuck on things or in buildings.

Do you honestly think people are masochists just because they prefer a playstyle different from yours?

This thread man, this thread.

When I first tried DayZ, I accidentally logged into a 1st person only server... and hated it. I constantly was agroing zombies, and I didn't realize at the time that the head bob was an option to change, so after playing an hour with the default amount of head bob, I was feeling physically ill.

After that, I played a few days on 3rd person servers, and got a feel for the zed's detection capabilities, and for navigating some of the quirks/bugs of arma2/dayz. (for example, how to get inside buildings without getting stuck on the doorway) A couple days back, I learned that you could reduce the head bob, and now I find that I prefer 1st person a lot.

I don't have any trouble heading into buildings in first person, and I feel that first person adds a lot of tension when you're heading into a building, since you can't see around a corner with the camera, you're forced to do stuff like leaning around a corner and looking around with the free look. However, I'm not suck a massive dick that I demand that rocket remove 3rd person just to suit my tastes. I do wish there were more 3DP:Off servers with reasonable pings for me, though. :(

Personally, I advise that everyone who plays DayZ should start in 3rd person till they get a feel for how the zombies behave and get a handle on some of the quirks of the engine. Once you get a handle on the game, give a first person server a try. (and make sure you turn head bob all the way off, unless you hate yourself)

[/quote']

You can change FOV.

I play ArmA 2 for 2,5 years and never had a problem to enter a building. I play first person and don't get stuck.

What is bugged? Could you elaborate more on that or wait even better report it on ArmA2 bug tracker: https://dev-heaven.net/projects/39/wiki/CIT

Back on topic: such games as CoD, Battlefield, Killing Floor, Left for Dead don't need 3rd person perspective.

3rd person is sometimes used by military units to keep up formation in shape etc.

No pain killers? twitching like a cocain sniffer? no problem switch to 3rd person view' date=' fart out your soul and view yourself in all your glory! then you can see your self twitch without the nasty drawbacks

Damn those pesky trees and bushes, are you prone? can't see? well hit that button and switch to 3rd person view! you can then magically see all around you! the eye of sauron has nothing on you!

in a building? need to see out that door but cant move? WELL say no more, hit that 3rd person button! you'll be able to see even while your are cowering under that table, who needs a friendly ghost when you can use 3rd person view!

you scavaging on a roof? did some one fire and miss at you? did you soil your pants then dive to the floor before realizing you wont be able to see where he shot from? Say no more! hit that 3rd person button and you wont have a problem!

force all players into fp view, in a mod like this you shouldnt be able to go into 3rd person view no matter how useful and game breaking it is. it just ruins the immersion and makes other aspects of the game pointless.

[/quote']

i completely agree with you.

LOL here we go!

Its a server option. Play hardcore if you don't like it. Why do you need to try and get something changed for people who do like it when you don't have to play with it yourself.

As stated before because its exploitable.

You then get gear from an exploit which then gets transferred onto servers that don't have the exploit enabled.

I'm fine with there being servers for beginners and people who need or prefer 3rd on.

Just don't allow the items to be transferable from servers that don't use easy and exploitable settings.

Ok so you prefer 3rd.

Ok so you get a sore head in first (awww).

That doesnt remove the fact 3rd is basically an exploit. That is and can be used to see over objects and in some cases through objects.

TL;DR keep your exploit 3rd servers just don't allow cross over exploit items

• Like 1

OP just stop talking. Your idea is bad just like you

OP haven't said anything since the first page.

This thread man, this thread.

I lol'd when I read the guy above stating 3rd person is an exploit.

Generally when people refer to "exploits" in video games, what they are describing is people that exploit a game bug/glitch.

3rd person view was an intended game mechanic and is not a bug.

We are all free to exploit the game's legitimate functions, just like exploiting the fact that players can't see dick when proned in the grass in first person.

Or exploiting the fact that you can't see what is behind you when your in a vehicle in first person.

Either way removing 3rd person would greatly harm this mod and is a bad idea. Having servers running both 3rd and 1st person is fine.

First off you can't argue the point:

'there are some servers that do allow it, and other that do not, its your choice'

Its a fact that 3rd persons make the game so much easier, and seeing as character are shared across all servers its exploitable. Someone could easily gather items and such on a 3rd person server, then hop on to a 'real' server without 3rd person, its the same with cross-hairs and tags.

But also you can't argue that 'this is a simulator', read what rocket has written about what he wants DayZ to be, it anit a simulator, more a social experiment with varied choices.

Also the arguments about FOV, Pref vision and such are void, as are any links to ARMA 2, the simulators approach to 3rd person.

However it is simple, 3rd person is terrible for game-play, immersion and sportsmanship, I'm so very surprised that so many want to keep it, however its not so many, just the vocal few on the forum which is barely 20% of the player base.

There is no denying that 3rd person makes the game easier,. which is bad, there are too many easy game to choose from, let us have this one,. only one, you guys can keep the rest, just let us have this.

How many other FPS have an option to view in 3rd person? not many really,. and there is no cry for it on them. And why don't they have it? because it spoils the game.

I pretty sure the same guys who like 3rd person are the same one who like tags and cross-hairs,. probably would be keen on auto aim if it were introduced too.

• Like 1

Instead of worrying about stuff like this, Rocket needs to fix the debug forest. Stuff like this should be based on server preference. Play on a VETERAN server, don't whine.

First off you can't argue the point:

'there are some servers that do allow it' date=' and other that do not, its your choice'

Its a fact that 3rd persons make the game so much easier, and seeing as character are shared across all servers its exploitable. Someone could easily gather items and such on a 3rd person server, then hop on to a 'real' server without 3rd person, its the same with cross-hairs and tags.

But also you can't argue that 'this is a simulator', read what rocket has written about what he wants DayZ to be, it anit a simulator, more a social experiment with varied choices.

Also the arguments about FOV, Pref vision and such are void, as are any links to ARMA 2, the simulators approach to 3rd person.

However it is simple, 3rd person is terrible for game-play, immersion and sportsmanship, I'm so very surprised that so many want to keep it, however its not so many, just the vocal few on the forum which is barely 20% of the player base.

There is no denying that 3rd person makes the game easier,. which is bad, there are too many easy game to choose from, let us have this one,. only one, you guys can keep the rest, just let us have this.

How many other FPS have an option to view in 3rd person? not many really,. and there is no cry for it on them. And why don't they have it? because it spoils the game.

I pretty sure the same guys who like 3rd person are the same one who like tags and cross-hairs,. probably would be keen on auto aim if it were introduced too.

[/quote']

^ this

it's also clear from several posts in this thread that many players have no clue how to disable head-bobbing or change their FOV yet use that as a basis for liking 3dp

Just about all veteran servers I see have 3rd person on. There are very few with it off. I've spent hours searching for the perfect server and whenever I join it its either got 2 people in it or doesn't actually have the settings they said they had. On top of that, there are only a handful of expert servers.

it's also clear from several posts in this game that many players have no clue how to disable head-bobbing or change their FOV yet use that as a basis for liking 3dp

No they just like being able to cheat and look around corners, everything else is just bullshit.

That said, I'm fine with just playing on 3dp=0 servers.

Just about all veteran servers I see have 3rd person on. There are very few with it off.

Should be a sign that the majority of the players prefer to play with 3rd person on no?