rocket

Patch 1.5.7 and this being an Alpha and fucking zombie spawns

Rocket,

Maybe you should consider adding some sort of randomization to the zombie spawning logic?

Obviously there's a lot of people who feel strongly about having very minimal zombie spawns (0-1 per building, ending up at like 200 zombies on a 50 player server) and a lot who feel strongly about a zombie apocalypse (3-5 per building, ending up at >1000 on a 50 player server).

Instead of locking things in to one playstyle or another, it might be nice to have variation:

If you handle it on the server scale, you would end up with "on" and "off" days - days for hunting and days for surviving.

But if you handle it on a CITY scale, you would end up forcing a lot of migrations. Players would log in to find out that the eastern seaboard is swarming with zeds today. Stay away until the swarm moves on, tomorrow maybe it will be the northern border that is dangerous.

All these kids are just crying because they want to be the lone survivor and cant now.

Rocket thanks for allowing us to be in the Alpha testing and HAPPY BIRTHDAY you old fart

groups dont freaking matter you dont have enough ammo to survive hes going to lose his fan base because you cant play the game not every one has people to play with' date=' how do you expect people to even group up with that many zeds

[/quote']

Yeah, it's like its a zombie apocalypse or something! I love the new zombie count, in the previous patch zombies were more of an ambiance in a persistant pvp game. Now zombies are actually a serious threat. I would like to see the respawn time for zombies slightly decreased so that if you do manage to put a big group down that you have time to explore the town for loot to replenish all the ammo lost. I would like to see increased ammo spawns as well to balance out the zombies. In any case I am quite happy with the changes, it is a better game with tons of zombies as opposed to very few.

I think the zombie counts are great to be honest. Now it's challenging.

I say keep the zombie count, I think people are just pissed because they realize that they're not playing CoD or Battlefield.

The zombie numbers have to be low because of the ridiculous low amount of ammunition in this world.

BS. I have 30 mags of the m4/m16 ammo right now. I've had to drop a few just so I can make room for food and water.

Hopefully with more zombies, I'll have a reason to sacrifice ammo for some of those tin cans in order to distract them rather than just mow 'em down.

Anyone know when global chat will be taken out and direct communication fully functional? can't wait :D

happy birthday and keep it this way assuming it doesn't cause lag or server issues

people have to actually think twice about their actions rather than run in guns blazing like a retard

happy birthday and keep it this way assuming it doesn't cause lag or server issues

people have to actually think twice about their actions rather than run in guns blazing like a retard

THIS a million times this

This is my first post, I signed up as I think I have quite an important point to make.

The zombie count has been drastically increased, thus making shooting loud weapons very dangerous. I personally think this is great. It makes it feel more realistic. However, in real life, if shooting loud weapons results in hordes of zombies chasing you, what options do you have?

Melee Weapons

We need melee weapons.

It's also become clear to me that zombie spawning needs fixing.

Someone should create an official "needs fixing" thread, where people can vote on popular problems. This will no doubt make Rocket's life a bit easier.

High number of zombies, great.

Practically instantaneous zombie respawn rate, not so great.

panic meter is ridiculous

More zombies = good, but killing them should be more or less permanent.... players should be encouraged to cull zombies to rid them from the gameworld, this could become a goal of players when they have nothing to do. Are there plans to have them spawn in remote places and then move as a horde?

Great update! Keep up the good work! Happy Birthday!

Accidental extra Zombie numbers? Too bad, so sad players. Rocket, you work so hard, for free, and no one has the right to berate you on bugs arising from each patch. Constructive criticism is the only criticism that should be welcome, all others can go screw.

Zombies climb ladders for a reason, either shoot the zed off the ladder, or quit yer `bichin.

Too many complaints about "patches" when the heart of the complaint is based out of lousy gameplay skills. Like someone said, this isn't Left4Dead. I quite possibly have the lowest Zombie Kill Count for any survivor who's still alive longer than 23 hours, and I've been playing since the beginning. Each of the encouters I've had were tense as hell, much like Resident Evil games, I don't spend my rounds unless I absolutely have to.

If you run around this game, a survival game, full of expectations that you're gonna become some badass Zombie killer, you're not surviving - you are "playing". If you are not afraid to die, than you are missing the whole point of this game. Players will die because of impatience, rash action, and poor choices. Survivors will survive because they plan, they have patience, and they value their "life".

1. I am more concerned by the issue of being present in an area, having situational awareness of the area, and then a player spawns inside the area - one you've already checked. This is the key factor that detracts from any level of realism, and even as a modder myself, I cannot see any way around it, even once servers are running private databases after the Beta/release hits.

2. Also, I am not a fan of "partially spent magazines now have a chance of disappearing from gear upon logging out". I immediately understand this - a man could otherwise roam with 2 mags, simply logging out before either was spent, and upon return, it's back to 30 rounds, or full capacity.

Because a system is not in place to combine, say, a 10 round magazine with a 20 round magazine to become one full 30 round mag, I feel this is a serious detriment to the survival nature of this game. I cannot imagine coding such a system as easily as I could imagine coding a counting system that would use an event handler to monitor every round fired, and save it to the database for recall on player login.

3. Again, not one to suggest others to work - I'd love to assist in a few additions, this being one, and some version or similar system to ACRE (advance combat radio environment). Mumble is another decent idea, but ACRE of course brings actual radios in to cover long ranges. Many vehicles have CB radios, and "hunter's radios" (like small "walkie talkies") would make for some excellent depth in communication, while addressing all other coms problems.

With ACRE required, players would be less likely to use TS3 to talk to eachother behind the backs of other players who, in all "virtual reality" are standing right next to the players while they discuss perhaps killing him. He should be able to hear them deliberating, and ACRE brings that, and to a lesser extent, so does Mumble.

I've stopped sending emails to the dev email, because they go unnoticed as a result of all the tards using email to complain about this free game mod. Feel free to email me, but it would seem PM here at your forums would be more appropriate. As I said in last email, I can be found at ts3.veterans-gaming.com:9176 and patiently await a chance to work with Matt, or anyone, to knock out this issue of our DayZ server's HIVE exe not connecting to the database server. And let me know if/how I may be able to help with a script/fsm or two. I've been the "lone modder" everyone expects results from - that sux! Hit me up!

semlerpdx.png

to many man, im in a town now near nw airfield across the road are 33 zombies (runners mainly) and a few crawlers and hoppers (10).

If i go around this in the field are so many hoppers it's kinda off putting, so i can't flank either way.

If i go through some of them like i tried the entire immediate area came towards me, i run into the red house, and have to mow down about 50 zombies lmao.. now i have no ammo for any gun and quite frankly there is so many that i can't get out because i'll get mauled, it took the stealth and fun out the game for me and i just bought a server too.

can't get out, spose ill have to die n start again which won't be fun because you'll never make it.

When you see player killed x 20 in about 2 minutes, you know people are having problems.

panic meter is ridiculous

More zombies = good' date=' but killing them should be more or less permanent.... players should be encouraged to cull zombies to rid them from the gameworld, this could become a goal of players when they have nothing to do. Are there plans to have them spawn in remote places and then move as a horde?

[/quote']

I would love if cities could be cleared of zombies, if only for a short while.

The respawn times were always ridiculous.

I also agree with the opinion that higher zombie numbers is great but the spawn rate is REALLY stupid/annoying to the point of clearing a small village inland and when I'm done I look back down the road there are zombies already there.

I love the large amount of zombies....spawn too fast though. Cleared the South medical facility under balota (how ever it's spelled) airport. Went around checking tents, then more zombies phased on top of me like they just were beamed in off the Enterprise.

i like the large number of zombies and i really like that they wander around. I think you should slow the zombies down though. when you are watching them walk around they can barely even stay on their feet but the moment they spot you the all turn in to Jessie Owens. i think you should slow the runners to the the speed the hoppers move at now and make it so they group up and move as a horde once they have spotted you. that way the danger is in the numbers and not in the glitchy running.

Happy Birthday rocket

keep up the great work

Great update! Keep up the good work! Happy Birthday!

Accidental extra Zombie numbers? Too bad' date=' so sad players. Rocket, you work so hard, for free, and no one has the right to berate you on bugs arising from each patch. Constructive criticism is the only criticism that should be welcome, all others can go screw.

Zombies climb ladders for a reason, either shoot the zed off the ladder, or quit yer `bichin.

Too many complaints about "patches" when the heart of the complaint is based out of lousy gameplay skills. Like someone said, this isn't Left4Dead. I quite possibly have the lowest Zombie Kill Count for any survivor who's still alive longer than 23 hours, and I've been playing since the beginning. Each of the encouters I've had were tense as hell, much like Resident Evil games, I don't spend my rounds unless I absolutely have to.

If you run around this game, a survival game, full of expectations that you're gonna become some badass Zombie killer, you're not surviving - you are "playing". If you are not afraid to die, than you are missing the whole point of this game. Players will die because of impatience, rash action, and poor choices. Survivors will survive because they plan, they have patience, and they value their "life".

[b']1. I am more concerned by the issue of being present in an area, having situational awareness of the area, and then a player spawns inside the area - one you've already checked. This is the key factor that detracts from any level of realism, and even as a modder myself, I cannot see any way around it, even once servers are running private databases after the Beta/release hits.

2. Also, I am not a fan of "partially spent magazines now have a chance of disappearing from gear upon logging out". I immediately understand this - a man could otherwise roam with 2 mags, simply logging out before either was spent, and upon return, it's back to 30 rounds, or full capacity.

Because a system is not in place to combine, say, a 10 round magazine with a 20 round magazine to become one full 30 round mag, I feel this is a serious detriment to the survival nature of this game. I cannot imagine coding such a system as easily as I could imagine coding a counting system that would use an event handler to monitor every round fired, and save it to the database for recall on player login.

3. Again, not one to suggest others to work - I'd love to assist in a few additions, this being one, and some version or similar system to ACRE (advance combat radio environment). Mumble is another decent idea, but ACRE of course brings actual radios in to cover long ranges. Many vehicles have CB radios, and "hunter's radios" (like small "walkie talkies") would make for some excellent depth in communication, while addressing all other coms problems.

With ACRE required, players would be less likely to use TS3 to talk to eachother behind the backs of other players who, in all "virtual reality" are standing right next to the players while they discuss perhaps killing him. He should be able to hear them deliberating, and ACRE brings that, and to a lesser extent, so does Mumble.

I've stopped sending emails to the dev email, because they go unnoticed as a result of all the tards using email to complain about this free game mod. Feel free to email me, but it would seem PM here at your forums would be more appropriate. As I said in last email, I can be found at ts3.veterans-gaming.com:9176 and patiently await a chance to work with Matt, or anyone, to knock out this issue of our DayZ server's HIVE exe not connecting to the database server. And let me know if/how I may be able to help with a script/fsm or two. I've been the "lone modder" everyone expects results from - that sux! Hit me up!

semlerpdx.png

You are forgetting the fact that this IS A GAME. This is not real life.

If the purpose of the game is to never fire a single shot and always run away, which it is rapidly becoming, then about 3/4 of the playerbase enjoying this mod /is/ going to quit.

The game should be balanced. If there are going to be this many zombies, perhaps some should not be able to run. More should hop, some should crawl by default, some should only walk but take more then 3-4 shots to kill. There are many ways to balance the game out, but just adding tenfold the amount of zombies that existed before not only breaks the game, it is taking the fun out of "playing" it. You aren't even "playing" anymore. Anyone who says "well it's a survival based game, if you want to shoot everything that moves go play call of duty" with all due respect go take a flying leap off a fucking cliff.

I am not against the idea of hordes upon hordes of zombies roaming about (as it is now), but it needs to be balanced. The gameplay right now is not fulfilling. It is cruel and boring, which is not how a fucking video game is played. If you want to go sneak around and never attack anything, go play Amnesia. I play DayZ so I can meet up with my friends, loot M16's and shoot zombies, not try to meet up with my friends, die 20 feet after spawning, find two Makarov clips, meet 1 zombie, sneak past, 16 more start chasing me, die, rinse, repeat.

I had no idea that the extra zombies were NOT intentional until I saw this thread. The changelog makes it seem intentional, which may be why people, including me before now, were all up in flames about the zombie count.

I managed to barely survive solo in Cherno last night looting the whole city, but that is only because I never fired a shot. When I left the city and pulled the trigger in a small town, you'd think I aggro'ed the entire map. It was brutal.

oi oi. Generally speaking I dont usually join such debates, but in this case i kinda have to.

I would literally hate it if the zombie numbers went back. well...maybe not hate...enjoy less perhaps...from starting playing a few dayz ago (see what i did there) i made pretty good progress just sticking to the back roads, hitting small villages and the like...pretty much never having to worry about anything except the small chance of running into an asshat who is gonna shoot me and steal my stuff. not that there is anything wrong with that per se, your still a douche :P. imo though, it was too easy. i mean...what sort of zombie apoc is it when the only real worry are bandits?

oh no no...in a real zombie apoc...ammo is sacred, used only when the need its at its greatest. the mentality that you must kill...kill...kill em all...stupid undead bastards...KIIILLLL...*ahem* is suicide wrapped in bravado, wrapped in pastry, wrapped in a "D" hat. sure you might want to fuck somebody over to get ahead, after all...not everyone is going to survive this, best to make damn sure you will (i play friendly btw...in case you wondered) but you should still be concerned about your own safety first. surviving the zombie apoc is not going to be easy. this is not a game, its a pro jogging simulator with added flesh eating incentive to run...teh fuck...away...and i love it. more zombies = win.

if you just wanna pew pew people go play battlefield...its kinda its purpose...this is about sur-viv-al which generally means you need something to be challenging your existence...in this case, zombies. APB is a sandbox cops vs robbers game...play that if you wanna steal shit and shoot at people all day. play this if you want your wits tested :)

thank you for making this, i bought arma 2:co to play it, just it, and i look forwards to playing it for a long time to come. dont listen to the lil babies who are scared of the ickle zombies. bring it on i say.

think numbers are too high? think its unrealistic?

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/geo_pop_den_peo_per_sq_km-density-people-per-sq-km

take a look...even the smaller ones still have double digits per sq mile, there should be way way way more than 1000 in the little 225km sandbox we call death...

"its time to nut up, or shut up" - tallahassy

oooh edit while i remember. me and my brother were playing this after the update we decided to take on the air field north of vybor, after a few successful weaves and some nail biting shots (please dont hear, pleeeasee) we made it into the heart of it...well long story shot it was not a good idea to make some noise to thin out the herd a little, i ended up crouched on a roof, shaking, panicking and with roughly shit all bullets for anything...but i was safe ha ha...but i swear to *insert deity* when the first zombie poked his little head up that ladder i crapped my pants (not literally...figuratively) nice work on that :D

Okay' date=' so still people don't realize this is an [b']Alpha. If you do not know what this means - go look it up on wikipedia RIGHT NOW.

When I fix one bug, many can crop up.

I fixed some zombie spawning bugs, time syncing bugs, and now there are alot of zombies. This became apparent in testing, but rather than delay the patch release by a few days (too many people are helicopter dying) the update was released.

So yes, the zombie numbers weren't my intention - but now that it is here, let us see how they play out. Maybe we might actually learn something from it or maybe everyone just wants to jump to conclusions in the first ten minutes...

Hey Rocket,

I, as everyone, appreciate what you are doing, and understand it is something that will be improved.

I believe the concern, at least mine, is the people who are claiming this is a good thing. It clearly is overdone (not so much "intense" as "fuck it ill die anyway don't care anymore")

I believe most people are complaining due to the fear that those who want to keep this insane and impossible amount of zombies will get their wishes, causing the game to be virtually unplayable for a good number of people (no, not noobs, genuine players that have the right to enjoy this game as much as anyone else with an assault rifle and full ammo)

That said, we all know and wait for the tweaked update, and will keep playing regardless =)

Cheers and keep up the good work! And happy belated birthday (timezone)

I am not against the idea of hordes upon hordes of zombies roaming about (as it is now), but it needs to be balanced. The gameplay right now is not fulfilling. It is cruel and boring, which is not how a fucking video game is played. If you want to go sneak around and never attack anything, go play Amnesia. I play DayZ so I can meet up with my friends, loot M16's and shoot zombies, not try to meet up with my friends, die 20 feet after spawning, find two Makarov clips, meet 1 zombie, sneak past, 16 more start chasing me, die, rinse, repeat.

Maybe I am wrong here but that IS what DayZ is about right now and if you dont like it why not go play left4dead or some other zombie game instead of trying to force your ideal scenario of the game onto others.

The game is going to be however rocket wants in the end and if you dont like it then move along.

I have faith that no matter how punishing he makes this mod it is going to have a fairly large user base BECAUSE there is no other game out there as punishing as this for a zombie survival game.

I am not against the idea of hordes upon hordes of zombies roaming about (as it is now)' date=' but it needs to be balanced. The gameplay right now is not fulfilling. It is cruel and boring, which is not how a fucking video game is played. If you want to go sneak around and never attack anything, go play Amnesia. I play DayZ so I can meet up with my friends, loot M16's and shoot zombies, not try to meet up with my friends, die 20 feet after spawning, find two Makarov clips, meet 1 zombie, sneak past, 16 more start chasing me, die, rinse, repeat. [/quote']

Maybe I am wrong here but that IS what DayZ is about right now and if you dont like it why not go play left4dead or some other zombie game instead of trying to force your ideal scenario of the game onto others.

The game is going to be however rocket wants in the end and if you dont like it then move along.

I have faith that no matter how punishing he makes this mod it is going to have a fairly large user base BECAUSE there is no other game out there as punishing as this for a zombie survival game.

The current number of zombies is a bug, as he CLEARLY STATED IN THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD.

And he could very well decide that he likes the number and leave it here.

Your point?

After playing with 4 (and 5, later) other people for several hours last night, the new zombie counts are great. What is not great is the respawn timer. Waaaay to fast. All of us agreed the new towns full of a hundred zombies presented a great threat to our safety and our lack of being found by other players, and we'd like to keep it. We all also agreed that being able to physically see 15 zombies respawn when you've just killed 30 is a bit disheartening. It doesn't lend itself to getting into a town, clearing, and looting, because you're -always- fighting zombies.

Overall, keep the number, change the timer. Yay bugs.

I like that there are more zombies, but I don't like that there are this many more. I can deal with it just fine in my group, because out of the 4 of us we all have at least one suppressed weapon. I totally understand that almost no other group is like ours. There are too many zombies.

Good news is, rocket knew that before he even made the thread. Aren't we so lucky? Why do we have to have yelling?

In the words of my calculus professor as he hands out a test: "there will be crying."

For those of you with an ounce of dignity, my calculus professor said this when he returned our tests: "there will be dancing."

Keep calm and carry on. One thing you Brits got right.