a PvE would work if they made set missions and made certain loot in places swarmed with zombies requiring team work so i could see it happening in later times

The current mechanics are a PvP game with aggressive wild-life, most of the more hard core players are PvP/PK enthusiasts. Trying to play against the mechanics as a "friendly" is just playing with a handicap.

Accept the game for what it is, hope for a humanity to mechanic to moderate it or stop playing if it is not what you want out of a game.

So me & my crew adopted a shoot on sight rule this week. Which is a damn shame. I'm sure there are plenty of nice players out there just trying to survive' date=' help out there fellow man, kill zombies. Unfortunately there is no way to identify people intentions so we kill on sight.

This really bothers me as this is the best survival horror game to come out in over a decade. So obviously the people playing share a similar interest & recognize the mod for what it is. Everytime we kill someone I cannot help but wonder if things were different if he/she could have turned out to be a great friend/gaming buddy.

I would really like to see designated PvE servers. There is no reason why this could not be implemented. You could prevent said servers from being able to transfer items to "hardcore servers". That way everyone is happy. PKer's can keep griefing & the rest of the community can work together & do what they enjoy most - killing zombies.

[/quote']

+1.

As long as you can't carry your loot from PvE servers to Hardcore servers, i don't see why not.

I enjoy PvE a lot, and i also enjoy PvP, but i think sometimes it's getting out of control, the way people act these days, seriously...

Everyone is entitled to have fun, so maybe one day we can get PvE on Dayz!

Just yell out "DON'T SHOOT' date=' FRIENDLY" in direct chat. If they respond, spare thier life, if they don't respond then kill them.

It's pretty easy and no need to shoot on sight. Most people will generally give you the once over before they shoot you.

[/quote']

Not working if it's a player killer.

In fact they said friendly...

And came to you and shoot you or there friend do it from behind.

If you see a player and dont want to kill...

Just hide. If you ask... He will know you are there.

I die to many time with (liar/killer)

I never encounter a friendly player yet in 3 week's.

I never play with bandit skin...

Maybe at that time.

But now it's a kill or be kill game.

Only friend can be trusted !

I'm not worried about it really. I will play for a while longer. I'm getting my $30 for arma2 out of this mod. But like so many others I will move on eventually. Not because its not a good mod. It is. But because of people killing you for no reason. I dont mind being shot for my supplies. Do I have a gun? There is a good chance I have other supplies you may need. Dont have a gun? Probably dont have much more than a can of beans and a pepsi on me if that. My problem is the PKing for no reason with no real way to identify thoes people and/or fight back. The loot system doesnt support fairness in that way. I may actually make it into a military complex or downed chopper 1 out of every 10 lifes without being sniped. Then I have a really low chance of actually getting a top end weapon. If I'm lucky awesome. But more often than not you/I wont be lucky. I've seen claims from people with 50-100hrs + logged and still havent found one of the higher grade weapons. THAT is my issue with zday and THAT is why I and many others will stop playing leaving the game empty except for the few griefers. Then they will leave because they no longer have the advantage over others.

In an interview with TB I believe Rocket said he expected the mod to peak at 12k players. Well Rocket you will be lucky to have 2k players in the next 6 months if nothing changes. Which is fine if thats what you want. The HC asshole griefers that got beat up one to many times in highschool need thier games to!

Perhaps a "gesture" can be added, say one that puts your arms up as a sign of "not shooting" , something to indicate apart from voice that you are a "friendly" ... lol sorry couldn't even finish that... friendly hahahahaha there ARE NO FRIENDLYs.

Shoot everyone on sight, only way to survive, you might just maybe get one person who is looking to "team up", but it's very very rare, and not worth letting someone else shoot you to find out if they are or are not.

To be honest the first couple times I've played this I have thought "Wow what an awesome game" - but since mixing with the playerbase , it's clear that i misunderstood just what this game is, it's actually a very poor version of Battlefield, based on the armaII engine. The zombie part of it, which dominates the advertising for this mod, is actually a very small and insignificant part of the game.

The actual game, is PvP / deathmatch. The only defining "features" are the need to eat / drink / medical, and of course the "finding" weapons. The rest is just gimmick to make it look different from the other FPS games.

It is fun to some degree, I enjoy the "survival" part of the game, but like I said, that is actually such a small part of the game. What I think is really needed is work on the aiming / shooting - mouse accuracy, as the Arma II engine is somewhat poor when compared to other FPS games.

I jump on from time to time and wander the wilderness, in a way it's like I am single player, the deeper into the woods you go the more fun it is (IMO) as the amount of players out there are few and far between.

If you want to enjoy the survival aspect of the game, go bush, deep and far, don't go anywhere near towns / beaches or really any structure.

(it's only unfortunate that going to those places is required to gear up, but once you've been through that, go go go get into the deep bush as quick as you can).

If you want to play the "PvP" style, I'd suggest looking at COD / BF3 as they are far and above superior versions, but if your after the survival aspect, then see above.

I don't see the reason to implement a "Punishment" system for killing another player' date=' its a moral choice in the game. I did like the fact that you look like a bandit if you where one but now that fun part is gone so I don't know. I guess PVP will just run rampart in the game, kill everyone you see or be killed.

The only way you would slow it down is taking out the aspect that you loose all the gear you have collected, lets face it, that's why we are killing, to get more beans and Pepsi! And to stop that other guy from getting the beans and Pepsi you don't have!

[/quote']

Just yell out "DON'T SHOOT' date=' FRIENDLY" in direct chat. If they respond, spare thier life, if they don't respond then kill them.

It's pretty easy and no need to shoot on sight. Most people will generally give you the once over before they shoot you.

[/quote']

Not working if it's a player killer.

In fact they said friendly...

And came to you and shoot you or there friend do it from behind.

If you see a player and dont want to kill...

Just hide. If you ask... He will know you are there.

I die to many time with (liar/killer)

I never encounter a friendly player yet in 3 week's.

I never play with bandit skin...

Maybe at that time.

But now it's a kill or be kill game.

Only friend can be trusted !

I can honestly say I have foun 2 friendlies in about a weeks playtime now. One guy I gave my gun to. He didnt shoot me in the back as I left. Another we stood still waiting for the other to shoot. I simply said I left some food/pepsi/ammo/ and a windchester up the steps and backed away. He thanked me and we went our seperate ways. I had left that stuff btw. No room in my inventory at the time.

On the other side of that, the funniest one I had was running directly up to some idiot with a shotgun next to a barn. Told him I was down to 4k blood and was going to drop what little food/ammo I had for him. He ran off. I mean really, if I was going to shoot him I had more than ample chance. Ran back up to him and he just shot me. I laughed so hard. Of course then I got sniped as soon as I respawned, litterly as soon as I could see what was going on. Thats where this mod fails imo.

It's certainly become the nature of the game as it evolves. You just can't afford to give anyone the benefit of the doubt.

More often than not, death just comes swiftly from a random location. You are either the one dealing the death or receiving. There is no motivation to spare other survivors.

I don't disagree with the "shoot on sight", but i found it much more enjoyable before it was so common. since I've been playing I never really trusted anybody apart from my RL mates, though even that can get questionable at times if we had been alive for a while.

I found that the most fun I've had in this game has come from some form of pvp.

Stalking another player with a friend or two to find out whether or not hes worth the effort, has got to be one of the most exciting things in the game. espicially when you know they have no idea you're there. simply shooting every person you see i find a bit overkill (unless your right in each other face, then you are faced with a pretty quick decision where kill or be killed truely crosses the mind.) A seperation of the two elements of the game would destroy it, because you would never find a realatively cruisy player on the pvp server, but pve end game would just fucking suck. theres alot of good suggestions how to encourage some cooperation so im not going to repeat them. But by no means would 2 servers types be a good idea.

No offence for people who are calling for it, but PVE only would totally suck. The enjoyment would be over after an hour.

1 - Get off the beach

2 - Roam around a town, find a gun, matches, knife, hatchet and water bottle.

3 - Live off the land never having to enter a town again

or 3 - Go postal on a town full of Z's, die and start again.

It's the fear factor of knowing someone could be watching you, waiting for you to get close, get surrounded by Z's or get lazy. Making you tripple check if there is anyone around the hunter stand or town you're about to enter, wondering if it was you or someone else that triggered that bunch of Z's to spawn.

PvP, or player interactions, are part of survival. Why do people think these things are separate?

I think shooting on sight is silly, but PvE servers would be boring as hell.

I found out my mic works beautifully in direct chat. I had a guy run up to me in Elektro, he shot at me (missed), and I ran around a corner and said with the my mic "DUDE, I don't have shit, just shoo" and he did, ran down the stairs and I heard him camp there for a few, he eventually took off and left me to my own devices.

If not for the mic actually working, I'd be back on the shoreline, I'm sure of it. We need to enforce some sort of short-range communication thats quick and is without hesitation. Then leave it up to the player to decide if that person is lying or not.

[/quote']

Ignorance is not bliss.

I connected my microphone yesterday, and found out that using voice chat can make encounters much easier. I ran into a few people, talked to them, and neither of them shot me. I still got shot a lot while looking for supplies in the south, but not by people I'd actually talked to. I guess it makes the encounter more human if you hear another voice.

I tried shooting on sight, but I'm just not that much of an asshole. Had a guy in my sights last night at a store, was going to shoot, but changed my mind and asked if he was friendly. Turned out that he was, and very new, so I showed him where to find a backpack and some equipment, and we walked our separate ways. Almost gives you back hope for humanity!

I'm still fairly new to the game, and have only had 2 friendly interactions with other players, and I'm sure that was because they were weaponless, hell I even ran from the building and left one guy because I knew there was a shotgun in the back corner and assumed he'd shoot me once he got it. But yes, most of my interactions with other players have been made up of me trying to see if they are friendly and then being shot in the face. Yet I would not wish that removed from the game as it would reduce the "fear" experience a great deal.

I mean take yesterday for example. I'd just found a new shotgun, replaced my LE with it. Then I hear the sound of Zeds approaching the barn at great speed, another survivor runs in and heads behind the crates (I would assume looking for a weapon as he had none) So, being the nice chap I am, I kill the two Zeds that were on his tail. I then call out over the mic to see if he's okay or if he needs help, then BAM! He comes from behind the crates and shoots me in the face.

Was I a little annoyed? Sure. Did I think he was a dick? Sure. But the fact he is free to be that dick and do that is part of what makes this mod great. So yes, even if you take away the fact that PvE servers would be exploited to all hell in order to gain the best gear and then go fuck shit up on a PvP one. Just think about what you would be taking away from the game. One of the best things about this mod is the freedom, remove that and you loose a lot in my opinion.

I'm still fairly new to the game' date=' and have only had 2 friendly interactions with other players, and I'm sure that was because they were weaponless, hell I even ran from the building and left one guy because I knew there was a shotgun in the back corner and assumed he'd shoot me once he got it. But yes, most of my interactions with other players have been made up of me trying to see if they are friendly and then being shot in the face. Yet I would not wish that removed from the game as it would reduce the "fear" experience a great deal.

I mean take yesterday for example. I'd just found a new shotgun, replaced my LE with it. Then I hear the sound of Zeds approaching the barn at great speed, another survivor runs in and heads behind the crates (I would assume looking for a weapon as he had none) So, being the nice chap I am, I kill the two Zeds that were on his tail. I then call out over the mic to see if he's okay or if he needs help, then BAM! He comes from behind the crates and shoots me in the face.

Was I a little annoyed? Sure. Did I think he was a dick? Sure. But the fact he is free to be that dick and do that is part of what makes this mod great. So yes, even if you take away the fact that PvE servers would be exploited to all hell in order to gain the best gear and then go fuck shit up on a PvP one. Just think about what you would be taking away from the game. One of the best things about this mod is the freedom, remove that and you loose a lot in my opinion.

[/quote']

fiinally a smart friendly character. most of the other friendly PvE only players are pretty narrow minded and want to force PvE on everybody. I applaud you sir for looking at it with reason.

I have shoot on sight rule because I have died too many times because I was merciful.

Once I saw man whit axe at cherno and I had aks-74u kobra. I thought that he was noob and I didnt shoot him. Then I tried to crawl across road and that man came to hit me whit axe. I shoot him but I died as well.

However I dont shoot when someone says that he is friendly.

I saluted when I met other survivors. If I had anything to give I will give..

When I saw another Survivor I would run over to them' date=' glade to seem them.

I try and help out other Survivors, I once watch a bleeding man running for his life with 4 behind him, I shoot the back 2 then follow and take out the other 2. He stops and crouches, I drop bandage and coke. He takes and drink and wraps, We are now an army of 2 we stick together, he follows- but unarmed, I have a side arm and rifle, I give them my side arm, He shoots me in the head..

I see Survivor - I am unarmed I run away

I see Survivor, I'm armed, I'm killing you

I have blood lust

I seek out people to kill..

[/quote']

Wise words my friend.

I very, very much prefer PVE play (as maybe you can infer from my sig). I also very much like living. After the amount o murdering I've endured (and I'm not complaining, simply justifying) I've become a little twitchy.

If circumstances permit, I'll simply hide from you and move away. If I know I have an advantage, I'll initiate contact via direct comms, generally asking you to get on the ground and informing you that I"m friendly. Generally, I'm willing to give someone enough time to type out a reply, because I'll assume you don't have a mic. If I can see you don't have a weapon, chances are I'm not going to kill you regardless. If you can't hurt me, why should I hurt you?

Your reaction is what determines my next decision. If you refuse to comply or reply, you're probably going to get shot. If you turn tail and run, you're probably going to get away, because if you're running away from me, you aren't being aggressive towards me, and we're good. If you comply and/or reply and make no hostile moves, I'll gladly work with you. If you need something and I have it, I'd be happy to give it to you (I constantly hand out medical supplies, ammo and food if I have anything to spare)

I have murdered 2 players in my week of playing. Both refused to reply or comply with my request. Genuinely, I felt bad abut each kill, I take no pleasure in killing players, nor do I engage in hunting survivors or killing newly spawned players for fun. Yes, I'm aware I don't have the "right" to order you to do anything. You don't have an obligation to comply. That doesn't really change anything, in my mind. I don't know you, I don't trust you. You don't have a reason to trust me, either, but we have to start somewhere, I'd rather it be on my terms

I'm sure you'd do the same, in my place. :P

Edit: Guess I could add, too, that even though I'm a PVE player by nature, I'm not at all saying that the PVE/PVP system in this games needs to be fixed. Part of the tension, as I know was mentored before, is not know what the otehr guy is going to do. Part of what makes his fun is that initial mistrust. As I said, you have no more reason to trust me, than I, you. I find that fun. Yeah, I hate being killed, but I dont feel like my PVE preference needs to be force don everyone else.

Interesting thread. My group will ignore unarmed survivors and even offer medical help at times. Of course when you have a helicopter you don't really care about armed coast scrubs at all.

PvP is good but what some of these people do is not PvP and do not claim it survival. Killing someone in Day Z just because they are running by does not fall into the catagory of survival or PvP. It is senseless killing aKa murder. How can anyone claim that killing someone that has nothing to fight back with concidered survival or PvP?

Im new to this game (playing for 2 days now) and i only got PKed one time were i still think it was a accident i was on the way to a hospital and already close sneaking around a corner and suddenly i was right infront of 2 others players at mele range 0.2 sec later i didnt needed a hospital anymore

but i found a way to be a bit safer i dont play alone and luckily a bunch of mates likes day z too so im at least in a group of 2 up to 8 hopfully even more and even if one of us dies the rest of us camp the corps till our mate arives again we also we normaly play on servers were coop is encouraged over pvp and this little server news seems to make a difference we had a few encounters and no one ends up dead but maybe its just that a lone survivor looking in 2 ak47 barrels thinks twice if he oppen fire

i also think Pve server are needless i only wish for a method to edentify a murder/bandit its the task of righteous survivors to take care of them to bring a pice of humanity in the post apocaliptic wasteland also would give a late game option for players that arent such bastards and dont want to kill innocents

IF u may see me on a server dont shoot me for 3 reasons first i dont want to shoot u second im not alone that u see me often means there are a few more u dont see but proberly they see u and third i proberly remember u i also call murder and bandits out on servers

im normaly named Lupus

I'm seeing alot of people suggesting that we should stop, identify ourselves as friendly & offer assistance to other survivors. Unfortunately, that is no longer a option now that bandits are not represented. Heartbeat at close range is also not acceptable. I need to know if someone is a PKer 800 yards out.

One of my crew came across someone just this week. Player was getting attacked by zombies & had broken leg. He saved the player, fixed his leg & as they went their separate ways that player turned around & shot him in the head. That, and the 100's of videos of people PKing players on youtube after gaining their trust warrants our decision enough.

To those who are absolutely close minded about the possibility of a PVE server, what are you afraid of? If there were designated PVE servers that one could not transfer items off of, how does this effect your gameplay? Less players to grief?

Might be a bit offtopic;

I hope DayZ doesn't get PVE only servers. As mentioned previously, you could get good gear real quick, and to be honest: Zeds are easiest thing to bypass. I've once had lived for 2 days straight and was roaming around towns, but I never attracted a single zombie. Even with the increased sight and hearing range of the zombies it's still easy to bypass them, it just takes patience (i.e, took me 20 minutes to go from the coast to Elektro's docks which were 5 minutes away if I would've ran to the docks, carelessly).

Now, ontopic:

I do shoot players on sight. But I really feel bad about it. Just recently I have had an encounter with a small group at Balota Airfield (I wasn't aware they were playing together at the time being). I watched them from the tower, they didn't seem to notice me. Only one of them was armed. As he went up the tower, he stood directly infront of me, and I shot him instantly. It felt like I didn't care t first because he would've been a potential risk, but as soon as I went downstairs, his other 2 mates came around asking if I was friendly or not, and then I realized I pretty much destroyed a whole group. I felt really bad about it -_-.