Sign in to follow this  
Axel335

First impression(s)

First time poster here, been playing Day Z for some 16 hours.

The atmosphere is very good and truly horrifying. Unfortunately one thing comes back and haunts me every time; your avatar's movement. This holds true (in my case) for all Arma2 titles. 

I find the slower movement to be at least satisfactory. Crouching, walking, jogging is actually alright and feels relatively good. The problem really rears it's ugly head when it comes to sprinting or jogging while having your weapon at "high ready". 

I find the movement speed during a sprint to be okay albeit one can run for a really long time. The problem is the agility and acceleration. Again this holds true for Arma2 in general but the acceleration is nonexistent, therefore, you character simply sprints away at maximum speed the second you start the sprint. My other complaint is the sheer agility of movement, there is no form of slower movement while strafing or changing direction while sprinting (same holds true for strafing) which, for me, makes the whole ordeal look very un-human-like and robotic. 

So, now I wonder if anyone feels the same about this, and in that case how did you cope with the situation? I have not been in many firefights, but I can imagine that it would be a pain to try and hit someone who is sprinting and weaving. I find that many titles ie. Project reality and Red orchestra 2 (more so than 1) have a way better movement system than Arma2 and therefore also Day Z.

Apart from this little headache of mine the game is enjoyable and well worth the money (which my *eerm* friend spent while buying me a copy, thanks.)

Edited by Axel335

If you survive the first shot start zig zagging and run and you will more than likely survive to live another day! It is true but from the sounds of dev twitter and blogs better animations are coming.

Welcome to Dayz!

I just joined today too so...hi :D

Anyway I see what you're saying but the speed you can go in to a full run at is very necessary for running away from people. I'm not sure if you've encountered it yet but a lot of a**holes stand around spawn points shooting people who've just spawned, can't really defend yourself with a flashlight so if they could run as fast as you it would be terrible.

Once you experience people doing this more you'll probably not care, it's the only defence you have.

As for why the character can run so fast and seemingly forever, not sure if it's ever been explained but I chalk it up to your character being a soldier.

Makes sense, the average person doesn't know how to use guns effectively, perform first aid, craft things like a splint or backpack and aren't nearly as fit as a soldier.

There's no kind of "plot" to the game per se but I think it should be stated that you're a soldier of some sort.

Something thats a bit...I don't know about running is that so long as there's one guy if you don't have weapons and they do you can run up to them and beat them up quite easily because they simply can't aim at you fast enough in close quarters.

It's a bit crap but again it gives new spawners a chance so I'm not sure where they should go with that. Because you don't want it to be easy for bandits to kill people but at the same time need it to be easier to deal with them so for now I think the running system works.

I just joined today too so...hi :D

Anyway I see what you're saying but the speed you can go in to a full run at is very necessary for running away from people. I'm not sure if you've encountered it yet but a lot of a**holes stand around spawn points shooting people who've just spawned, can't really defend yourself with a flashlight so if they could run as fast as you it would be terrible.

Once you experience people doing this more you'll probably not care, it's the only defence you have.

As for why the character can run so fast and seemingly forever, not sure if it's ever been explained but I chalk it up to your character being a soldier.

Makes sense, the average person doesn't know how to use guns effectively, perform first aid, craft things like a splint or backpack and aren't nearly as fit as a soldier.

There's no kind of "plot" to the game per se but I think it should be stated that you're a soldier of some sort.

Something thats a bit...I don't know about running is that so long as there's one guy if you don't have weapons and they do you can run up to them and beat them up quite easily because they simply can't aim at you fast enough in close quarters.

It's a bit crap but again it gives new spawners a chance so I'm not sure where they should go with that. Because you don't want it to be easy for bandits to kill people but at the same time need it to be easier to deal with them so for now I think the running system works.

I have no beef with the speed per se. As I said in my original post, the thing I find to kill my "immersion" is the agility and acceleration (or the lack of it). I fully agree that the momentum of the sprint is needed, I just think it could be made a tad bit more dynamic, hence why I mentioned RO2 and the BF2 mod Project reality.

No I am glad they don't have this tbh too much realism kills a game

"This" meaning what?

"Too" much realism can indeed kill a game, but for me too clunky/weird/robotic movement can do the same.

"This" meaning what?

"Too" much realism can indeed kill a game, but for me too clunky/weird/robotic movement can do the same.

"This" meaning what?

This meaning having to speed up acceleration, if I'm getting shot at or chased by a zombie I don't want to have to wait ten seconds to get to maximum speed by that point the hoards they're adding and the other player have already killed me and if it's added then deceleration has to be added when turning or zigzagging a tiny bit. That's what I mean by too much realism, as for the clunky movements etc. it's still in alpha they're going to iron those out.

Yeah it would be kind of bad if there was a slowing down animation like a few steps or a slide because what if it lags out and you fly off an edge it would be inconventient.

I think what they could do is let you run fast almost instantly when you have really light gear on, so new spawns are the fastest and then when you have a backpack full of stuff it takes you longer to speed up. Instead of always being able to run incredibly fast that and how healthy you are should affect your speed.

They probably plan this anyway, someone who's both starving and dehydrated and has also lost a lot of blood should not be able to run for 20 minutes non stop.

For that though first zombies would need to be A LOT slower currently they can catch up and hit you a couple of times before giving up, or chase you forever so if you couldn't run faster than them will full gear on...big trouble.

This meaning having to speed up acceleration, if I'm getting shot at or chased by a zombie I don't want to have to wait ten seconds to get to maximum speed by that point the hoards they're adding and the other player have already killed me and if it's added then deceleration has to be added when turning or zigzagging a tiny bit. That's what I mean by too much realism, as for the clunky movements etc. it's still in alpha they're going to iron those out.

I would gladly take what you describe over what we have now. For me it is not too much at all, but to each its own.

There simply seems to be such a disconnection between the "slow" movements and the "fast" movements when it comes to fluidity IMHO.

Edited by Axel335

Yeah it would be kind of bad if there was a slowing down animation like a few steps or a slide because what if it lags out and you fly off an edge it would be inconventient.

I think what they could do is let you run fast almost instantly when you have really light gear on, so new spawns are the fastest and then when you have a backpack full of stuff it takes you longer to speed up. Instead of always being able to run incredibly fast that and how healthy you are should affect your speed.

They probably plan this anyway, someone who's both starving and dehydrated and has also lost a lot of blood should not be able to run for 20 minutes non stop.

For that though first zombies would need to be A LOT slower currently they can catch up and hit you a couple of times before giving up, or chase you forever so if you couldn't run faster than them will full gear on...big trouble.

Yes, this syncs with my own thoughts. I really like the small touches like pain, discomfort and such and it would be nice if they had a (slightly) bigger impact.

Would be nice if sprinting should be used more in dire situations and not just for trekking around, since a full-out sprint in offroad terrain with added gear and weapons might even cause injuries.

Well games need a fine balance so I agree with some of the stuff you said but I also think gear as you said should have a difference maybe so if you have a lot of gear or a big gun and backpack etc. that you run a lot slower compared to a lightly armed player? But if we are soldiers then that shouldn't be a problem either, but I think there needs to be pros and cons to whatever they decide to do I really don't like the godly speed the max is seta t are you telling me everybody can run like a professional athlete at a marathon?

Well games need a fine balance so I agree with some of the stuff you said but I also think gear as you said should have a difference maybe so if you have a lot of gear or a big gun and backpack etc. that you run a lot slower compared to a lightly armed player? But if we are soldiers then that shouldn't be a problem either, but I think there needs to be pros and cons to whatever they decide to do I really don't like the godly speed the max is seta t are you telling me everybody can run like a professional athlete at a marathon?

Well soldiers regularly go on like 20k runs with gear on as part of training, so if it was that you're a soldier in DayZ it works out but your speed should obviously be dulled by having a lot of extra weight on.

Or maybe not much, as it should running with heavy gear could just burn through your energy and hydration a lot but the speed could be only 10-20% slower than with no gear.

I was thinking some kind of adrenaline shot would be cool too or adrenaline feature it could play a part, like when your leg is hurt but you don't have morphine, stab adrenaline in and run through the pain for a few minutes to escape whatever. So people running slower due to a high amount of gear could either use that or while being attacked gain a natural adrenaline rush.

Well soldiers regularly go on like 20k runs with gear on as part of training, so if it was that you're a soldier in DayZ it works out but your speed should obviously be dulled by having a lot of extra weight on.

Or maybe not much, as it should running with heavy gear could just burn through your energy and hydration a lot but the speed could be only 10-20% slower than with no gear.

I was thinking some kind of adrenaline shot would be cool too or adrenaline feature it could play a part, like when your leg is hurt but you don't have morphine, stab adrenaline in and run through the pain for a few minutes to escape whatever. So people running slower due to a high amount of gear could either use that or while being attacked gain a natural adrenaline rush.

Well why have an adrenaline shot if you're being shot at or in combat and you get a broken leg you'd already have adrenaline realistically but it also depends on the break if it's a fracture someone could run it off but if it's clean snapped in half no one can run through that.