Sign in to follow this  
TheDoctorInDayz

DayZ - Just a Game? Or also a pretty cool Social Experiment?

Thing is killing for loot is just pretty useless, either you are going to have a lot better stuff than the other guy or you have somekind of terrain advantage. I don't think i've seen a lot of fair battles in this game, given that there is nothing else to do sure but i'd rather play arma 3 or something than playing this for 500 hours and thinking you are good at shooting people lal.

The only "social experiment" is this:

There are some people who take this game too seriously, and then there are those that don't.

Some want this game to be some kind of fairy lovefest set in a post apocalyptic backdrop.

Me, on the other hand, enjoy the thrill of the hunt, or causing such a ruckus with my mates that we get assaulted by some large opposing force, and that thrill is based on if I screw up, there will be a penalty for my mistakes, and that there will be penalties for my enemies if they screw up.

That being said I find bambi's at range to be good target practice, helps me hone my shooting skills, so when the real threat presents itself my game is as spot on as it can be. Alls fair, if I am a bambi, and someone starts pot shotting me, I don't cry about it, I certainly don't go and try and shit talk them. But that rarely happens because i'm not a idiot and don't go running down the main roads like a nit.

90% of the people here are but mere sheep for the wolves.

If you create a game that allows for wolves, then the wolves will surely come to feast.

• Like 3

Thing is killing for loot is just pretty useless, either you are going to have a lot better stuff than the other guy or you have somekind of terrain advantage. I don't think i've seen a lot of fair battles in this game, given that there is nothing else to do sure but i'd rather play arma 3 or something than playing this for 500 hours and thinking you are good at shooting people lal.

Blah, even if I didn't have better gear then the other guy, for some reason when my mosin takes off their heads it seems to also apparently  ruin just about every damn thing they are carrying.

well if the economic reset will turn society into one big dayz game then were fucked.

The only "social experiment" is this:

There are some people who take this game too seriously, and then there are those that don't.

Some want this game to be some kind of fairy lovefest set in a post apocalyptic backdrop.

Me, on the other hand, enjoy the thrill of the hunt, or causing such a ruckus with my mates that we get assaulted by some large opposing force, and that thrill is based on if I screw up, there will be a penalty for my mistakes, and that there will be penalties for my enemies if they screw up.

That being said I find bambi's at range to be good target practice, helps me hone my shooting skills, so when the real threat presents itself my game is as spot on as it can be. Alls fair, if I am a bambi, and someone starts pot shotting me, I don't cry about it, I certainly don't go and try and shit talk them. But that rarely happens because i'm not a idiot and don't go running down the main roads like a nit.

90% of the people here are but mere sheep for the wolves.

If you create a game that allows for wolves, then the wolves will surely come to feast.

""There are some people who take this game too seriously""

CQF

• Like 1

Some people act like SA is some kind of Facebook app: try to make as many friends as possible and start bitching whenever you reject their friend request with bullet to the face.

Others just accept that it's mostly big sandbox where you can do whatever pleases you, plus you can interact (shoot, stalk, talk) with other players. They just try to have fun and not treat the game too seriously.

The second group seems to be having much better time playing SA. I wonder why?

""There are some people who take this game too seriously""

CQF

Yes I take the gameplay seriously, the tactics, the risk, that's what makes this game addicting to me, I just dont take the "social elements" of this game seriously.

Its like the difference between COD and Tom Clancy game.

Edited by gwartham

Lies, in real life there's no respawn button (that we know of..)

And no matter how much people think bullets hurt, getting shot in real life is way more painful than DayZ can ever tell you to be.

. What do you think?

I think some do play the way they really would act and other don't

I think I play the way I would in these kind of end of the world situations

My first priority is to stockpile supplies which I could do in the mod with tents

And help those less fortunate than myself

Most people will say it's a game, and that it doesn't reflect how they would really act but I think it does

If the world ended today the first thing I would do is fortify a good location such as a castle or mall, stockpile weapons and food with people I know and gradually let people in who I think have valuable skills such as doctors, soldiers and mechanics or farmers

And just as bandits are free to murder, rape and pillage with no laws.........with no laws I would be free to murder them right back with consequences and I think that's what most people don't think about, that the good guys that are left are also free to kill if they seem you a threat

Edited by Regulator Lone Warrior
  • Like 3

I think its a great experiment too.  People often ask why so many douchebags in dayz? well I've always thought the answer is that the game does such a good job of immersing people in the environment that we all behave as we would in an apocalyptic world fighting over scarce resources... y'know like douchebags.

The only exception to the rule is the actual real-life duchebags in this thread who seem to play dayz while taking a break from their games consoles.

right now this game is kill or be killed

Unless you get the drop on someone, theres not really much interaction possible.

If you see them and they see you. Somebody is getting a bullet.

Just a game. People don't behave anything like they would in the real world, mainly because dying is somewhat less 'final'.

Don't you think the fact dying being more "final" would just make people even worse and less likely to find out if a stranger is an asset (ie cooperation) or threat?

Don't you think the fact dying being more "final" would just make people even worse and less likely to find out if a stranger is an asset (ie cooperation) or threat?

Maybe! I can't quite figure out whether it would make people more or less cautious, but only psychopaths would run around the real world shooting folk who are not perceived threat to them just for fun, but this happens a heck of a lot in-game -so it makes any data for the social experiment rather worthless.

Edited by kander

I think it's a good example how the "mini maxing" gaming culture is affecting video games in general.

right now this game is kill or be killed

Unless you get the drop on someone, theres not really much interaction possible.

If you see them and they see you. Somebody is getting a bullet.

I would say that you are right to a point, but there are alot of videos out there of people being good to others, and not looking to just kill. You can check out mine if you like...I do my best to resolve situations without gunfire, but I do get into gunfights though.

I think it's a good example how the "mini maxing" gaming culture is affecting video games in general.

i think Power-gaming is more appropiate then min-maxing. Min-maxing more applies to the practice of choosing to level only a few attributes/abilities (common in MMOs/RPGs) that suit a cherry-picked play-style at the expense of any diversity or flexibility.

Power gaming on the other hand, is generally defined as focusing on progression over imersion, comraderie, or the expereicne in general. These are the sort of people who take any reules/terms to the game as a To-the letter contract and bear no mind for the "spirit of the rules". Generally have no interest in sportsmanship or the preception of it- only to "get ahead"

This manifest it's self in DayZ in the sense of how we always see a focus on how to get the best loot fastest. A constant push for more "end game content" and a desire to rush ever on towards the end game. to some extent this value of porgress over experience also effects KoSing in the aspect that people who are playing only to progress thier character's gear would rather "Play it safe" and kill first then risk a meeting on even terms.

i think Power-gaming is more appropiate then min-maxing. Min-maxing more applies to the practice of choosing to level only a few attributes/abilities (common in MMOs/RPGs) that suit a cherry-picked play-style at the expense of any diversity or flexibility.

Power gaming on the other hand, is generally defined as focusing on progression over imersion, comraderie, or the expereicne in general. These are the sort of people who take any reules/terms to the game as a To-the letter contract and bear no mind for the "spirit of the rules". Generally have no interest in sportsmanship or the preception of it- only to "get ahead"

This manifest it's self in DayZ in the sense of how we always see a focus on how to get the best loot fastest. A constant push for more "end game content" and a desire to rush ever on towards the end game. to some extent this value of porgress over experience also effects KoSing in the aspect that people who are playing only to progress thier character's gear would rather "Play it safe" and kill first then risk a meeting on even terms.

You are right, to me it's the most interesting bit. Players ultimately spoiling their enjoyment.

Think about it...games have always been just that, games. However, when you have a game such as this, with the personal interaction that it has, are we not discovering exactly what people would be like in real life if there were no consequences for their actions? 

I believe so.  In my personal experience in the game, I have ran into people who are absolutely cruel to new players, and I can not help but empathize for the player being abused and realize that, these people who are doing this, would probably do this in their real life, if not for consequences.

What do you think?

Not even close to resembling how people who act or treat others in real life. If someone makes a character ClownFaceKiller2 He has no emotional ties to the game, he is faceless. You can change your name at any moment. You have no identity. You are anonymous. Morals dont really matter, because its just a game.

• Like 1

If it took you to look at a game, to say that people are evil and cruel, and that in general the world is going to hell, then you need to open your eyes.

• Like 1

True, but name another game besides DayZ were you can restrain someone, and force feed disinfectants, or rotten food, or make them remove their clothes. I do not see where the internet offers that for people to do, other than real life events already happening,  but I understand what you mean when you mention the internet. I am talking about the seemingly normal people in our lives, that through this game exude a very different kind of behavior. What they do in this game is not on the internet unless they post it, but I am sure, if they are the bad ones, they would not want their family seeing what they do.

I agree on this. I also don't like doing this stuff to people. You can say 'virtual character', but there is someone controlling that character. And you can say cruel things which can actually affect someone behind his PC.

I usually approach people and then scare the shit out of them with my primary weapon. I do shoot them sometimes, yes. Because they try to aim at me, or take a weapon. But they usually don't take a weapon, and I'll give them some food and sometimes even ammo or a pistol (I have 3 pistols now, why not give one of them to somebody who needs it)

Edited by EvilTigerAce

True, but name another game besides DayZ ...

I guess you never heard of Eve-Online before.

You are right, to me it's the most interesting bit. Players ultimately spoiling their enjoyment.

thats the beauty of entertainment mediums. Thier entirely subjective.

Person A gets thier enjoyment from winnning fair fights in 1v1 or squad v squad PvP

Person B Gets enjoyment from having all the best stuff

Person C Enjoys the social aspect and unpredictable, unscripted player encounters.

None of them are wrong for enjoying one specific element. imho the only time its wrong is when you stop wanting to play BECAUSE of your playstyle. Some people geninuely enjoy the push for the best. thats all there is for them. I feel tho that for many they get tunnel vision for it and forget that when it becomes boring that there is other stuff to explore...

• Like 2