Zone of death - off map

there's a serious problem with people hiding tents / vehicles off map in order to hoard items away from players. It's basically a form of abusing the game mechanics and poor sportsmanship.

*EDIT , i feel silly*

PintOfBass Wrote: The only thing that needs to be changed concerning this is that off map tents and vehicles dont save.

*EDIT*

going offmap is virtually cheating , escaping the playing zone to escape the intended dangers placed by the Devs and created by players themselves.

Let the hoarder whining commence.

I like this idea.

But there may be a way around it, what if I walk inside for two minutes, and then disconnect, and then re-connect again and repeat until I get to my tent/vehicle (and walk inside the map the same way)?

I like the warning, but it should be shorter, how about five seconds?

Its way shorter and you could barely move before having to d/c.

Edit:

Or making it in a way that, if I connect and appear inside the death zone, I insta die. (?)

I like the warning' date=' but it should be shorter, how about five seconds?

Its way shorter and you could barely move before having to d/c.

Edit:

[/quote']

maybe a minute then , but 5 secs would be too short for helicopters to respond.

what about rather then automatic Death it could be a radiation zone?spending time in the zone would build up radiation. and for every minute outside the map +1 radiation, while it would take 10 minutes to Remove 1 radiation while within the map. - the warning to the player would be the taking damage effect.

i realise its probably not the most realistic but it would deter people from risking radiation poisoning.

Alternatively the Map could be a quarantined Zone and if you cross over the map it would spawn some form of aircraft that would pepper the player with bullets until they have met the true death.

The only Warning the player would receive is a message saying "leaving quarantined zone" and between a random time an A-10 would spawn with its sights set on the player.

the only problem is i don't agree that the map should be a quarantined zone. i like the idea of it being a world wide occurrence

Vehicle hording is being addressed, but there's nothing wrong with hiding tents. Tent Cities are emergent gameplay elements symbolizing survivor strongholds, and add a lot of depth to end-game struggles.

If you don't like tent cities, load up some beanz and coke and start searching outside the map; they're fairly easy to spot.

I see nothing at all wrong with going off the map or hoarding tents. It is no worse than killing other players or looting everything. However I do like the recent change to vehicle spawns.

It isn't as if going off the map is an exploit, since anyone can simply walk out there. I don't understand why this is such an issue when many other suggestions get people labeled as care-bears.

If a player or group of survivors wish to exist off the map so they don't have to come into contact with trigger happy fools, why the hell should they be punished?

If a player or group of survivors wish to exist off the map so they don't have to come into contact with trigger happy fools' date=' why the hell should they be punished?

[/quote']

Because off map isn't the inteded play zone. To compare it to player killing is idiotic. The off map region is virtually endless so if everyone was heading out there to get away from people then we may aswell just make dayz as a singleplayer mod because contact with people in minimal.

Because off map isn't the inteded play zone. To compare it to player killing is idiotic. The off map region is virtually endless so if everyone was heading out there to get away from people then we may aswell just make dayz as a singleplayer mod because contact with people in minimal.

As a player' date=' you don't get to justify mechanics by whether they're "intended" or not. That's for rocket to know and decide off of. Many intended mechanics suck, and many rule; the same goes for unintended ones.

If someone is really going so far out into the wilderness that [i']nobody can find them, they're going to need to get supplies. If you want to find them, just follow the people who bring in food and water. There's always a way to find someone in Day Z; most people are just too lazy to bother.

The only thing that needs to be changed concerning this is that off map tents and vehicles don

t save. That's it. Your making huge complex solutions for simple problems.

As a player' date=' you don't get to justify mechanics by whether they're "intended" or not. That's for rocket to know and decide off of. Many intended mechanics suck, and many rule; the same goes for unintended ones.

e in Day Z; most people are just too lazy to bother.

[/quote']

I think i can justify it. The map in a game is the intended zone of play and any other area/dimension is unintentional. It's a basic fact of gaming. That's why the term off-map exists.

Going offmap is IMO the equivalent of cheating , going into an unintended zone of play to escape the intended dangers of the map that was created.

btw , your sig is.....im failing to find a proper word... snobbish?

there's a serious problem with people hiding tents / vehicles off map in order to hoard items away from players. It's basically a form of abusing the game mechanics and poor sportsmanship.

A reasonable solution would be to create a wall of death surrounding the outside off the map. If you approach the edge of the map you get a warning message " you are approaching the end of the map please turn around". If you do not within 2 mins orcontinue further inside then you die.

The edge of the map is very easy to spot in game so there won't be any issues making a mistake.

Smetimes peple obviously spawn off map ' date=' but this zone should be safe and a small safe alley heading South east from the spawn should work this out if anyone has to walk back.

Let the hoarder whining commence.

[/quote']

Horrible horrible BF3 like idea....

The only thing that needs to be changed concerning this is that off map tents and vehicles don

t save. That's it. Your making huge complex solutions for simple problems.

THIS.

Simple and effective , i feel like an idiot for not thinking of it.

People would then have no reason to wander off map.

Vehicle hording is being addressed' date=' but there's nothing wrong with hiding tents. Tent Cities are emergent gameplay elements symbolizing survivor strongholds, and add a lot of depth to end-game struggles.

If you don't like tent cities, load up some beanz and coke and start searching outside the map; they're fairly easy to spot.

[/quote']

Totally disagree, we are not beggars we are customers who bought the game and expect a good mod to be made and a good DLC at the end.

Alpha is the main stage to form ideas.

Vehicle hording is being addressed' date=' but there's nothing wrong with hiding tents. Tent Cities are emergent gameplay elements symbolizing survivor strongholds, and add a lot of depth to end-game struggles.

[/quote']

I have nothing against tent cities , as long as they are kept in the playing area / on map.

So why is it that everyone should be forced to play near other players? In a real apocolyptic scenario there would be plenty of people who try to survive off the grid. This is no less valid than any other survival tactic used in-game. If I don't want to bother with other survivors why should I?

I have yet to see a good arguement against going "off-map" other than people claiming it is cheating. Besides, vehicles now despawn after a period of time if they go un-used. So what exactly is wrong with allowing people to go head to the hills?

So why is it that everyone should be forced to play near other players? In a real apocolyptic scenario there would be plenty of people who try to survive off the grid. This is no less valid than any other survival tactic used in-game. If I don't want to bother with other survivors why should I?

I have yet to see a good arguement against going "off-map" other than people claiming it is cheating.

The world in dayz is the map of chernarus. Everything else may aswell be considered as space /no go zone. "off the grid" as you put it would be the edges of the map/ countryside and not escaping the gaming world to go somewhere that isn't meant to be accessed.

If you don't want to bother with other survivors then why play multiplayer? alternatively , hide your tent better in the middle of the countryside instead of the offmap wastelands which aren't intended for gameplay.

Please quote Rocket saying that the borders of the map are not meant to be included. I know he has said that staying in the debug area is considered an exploit, but that is completely different.

I avoid other survivors so there isn't a chance for us to have to shoot at each other, that has nothing to do with playing multiplayer or not. Again, why should I have to play where you want me to? Judging from your sig, you like to kill people, so why is it that I should be forced to make it easy for you to kill me?

staying in the debug area is considered an exploit' date=' but that is completely different.

[/quote']

that's why , it's not "different".

a good compromise would be to make "going out of bounds" penalties to characters steep. say it's "very cold" r something and they need to constantly apply heatpacks... something like that.

right now it's just too easy to drive off the map with a fleet vehicles and never have them get chanced with being found by anything but a chopper...

Just for the sake of argument, how far exactly would players be allowed to go? Would I die if I take 1 step north from Pobeda Dam? What exactly would be considered the boundaries? The mod is advertised as 255 km^2, and this certainly isn't the case if players are limited to populated areas only (it would be ~130 km^2). Would there be a 1 or 2 kilometer area beyond the edge of the map that people can still enter? What exactly should be considered the "edge" of the map?

I still don't know why you insist avoiding other players by going "outside" the map is so bad. It is no less valid than being a group player or murderer. It is a realistic survival method and forcing players to stay within unrealistic confines limits survival. Do you want people around cities simply so you can kill them? If so you should get over it.

there's a definitive boundary of the map if you go far out enough.

the terrain has no grass, trees or rocks. the ground texture is also low-rez.

Totally disagree' date=' we are not beggars we are customers who bought the game and expect a good mod to be made and a good DLC at the end.

Alpha is the main stage to form ideas.

[/quote']

Excuse me? You *bought* jack shit in this mod, and you aren't entitled to anything. If you bought the game to play the mod that's your own damn choice, but this mod is free and you're just along for wherever rocket decides to take it.

Valve doesn't have to refund someone a copy of Half Life because they didn't like how Natural Selection or any of the other mods played; you bought ArmA II, you got ArmA II, end of story.

there's a definitive boundary of the map if you go far out enough.

the terrain has no grass' date=' trees or rocks. the ground texture is also low-rez.

[/quote']

Which also makes it very easy to see vehicles/tents out there, and you also have to remember the further out they hide them, the more distance they have to run back/forth from those places.

It's sacrificing time getting there/back for more safety.

I see nothing wrong with hoarding stuff off the map, once you've experienced having loads and loads of tents/vehicles looted and stolen, only to find them again and hide them in a different place it just becomes one continues game of hide and seek so players decide to end the game and hide it off the map in a specific co-ord only they/friends know.

Not to mention those hacks that let players see where all the vehicles/tents/other people are, (there's one streaming right now) they are less likely to run all those miles out off the map just for a bit of loot that they can spawn into the game.