Sign in to follow this  
DaPessimist

Should there be a reward for time survived?

So I managed to stay alive for almost 4 days on my own. Didn't group with a single person. I stayed away from the coast, and only entered small towns for food/water and other resources.

Anyway, I had a great time... but at the same time, I felt like my style of play wasn't really rewarded. I feel like the main goal of the game should be to survive, and perhaps there should be a system that rewards a player for their ability to stay alive.

Again, I had a great time, and am not complaining... but do you think there should be some type of reward for time of survival?

PS - I ended up with 56 zombie kills, no murders, and didn't group with a single person the entire time.

I think a reward system would be helpful towards the game, but what would it reward?? How many zombies you killed, how many bandits died at your hand, how far you have ran? It's really difficult to see what kind of reward system you are going for because, even if it pops up with achievement you killed a zed, then what. What do you receive for wasting ammo. You can maybe get crafting recipes when they implement crafting, but that is a longshot, what would you get rewarded with ?

It could be interesting to have a leaderboard of the top 10 survivalists, those who remained alive for the longest time (and i do not mean RL time but ingame time)

That's the only thing you could aknowledge of being a feat really.

It could be interesting to have a leaderboard of the top 10 survivalists' date=' those who remained alive for the longest time (and i do not mean RL time but ingame time)

[/quote']

Like this?

http://www.dayzmod.com/leader.php

The only problem I see arising out of this would be people grabbing food and water, and sitting in a forest forever. Only leaving to get more food and water.

*shrug*

You set your own goals and feel rewarded with fun after completing them. For new players it may be getting a CZ, making it to Elektro or not dying for 2 hours. Others may find it fun to rack up X zombie kills or X murders. This game is a sandbox game and isn't really supposed to have a rewards system as of now.

Your reward is keeping your stuff.

There is no endgame, you just keep on living.

Of course you can say this is boring, however most of the fun from this games comes from being in groups.

Until missions or something similar like objectives gets added, survival is the only thing to do in this game.

It's you people and your ideas of creating "rewards" and "shortcuts" for playing the game that ruin it. There shouldn't be a reward system for a game that rewards you for surviving by being alive and keeping your stuff. Stop trying to change the game to make it easier or more convenient because all you're going to end up with is a ruined shell of a game no one plays anymore. Runescape is the perfect example, you don't want DayZ to suffer the same fate.

On a tangent another game project I'm associated with just posted a "community game night" to keep it's forum visitors happy. They intend to make a private server(s) and let forum members go at it for fun and prizes. They asked for suggested games to play. It made me think...

IF someone wanted to play DayZ in a sort of competitive manner what would have to be included or changed to make it feasible? Certainly you would have "longest living survivor", for *that night, on that server*. You would have to have some way of showing the scores in various categories. Maybe most zombies killed, most murders, most bandits killed, bonus points for time spent in a moving vehicle, etc. Maybe even a special, like a scavenger hunt... First person to gather a list of 10 items wins that prize, medal, mention, etc.

So then I thought what if you just got a subtle line of text on your screen that said "You are now the longest living player on this server" (without logging off and back on again) or "You are now the leader in zombie kills...", etc. Maybe broadcast it on global too.

Again, this is a thought experiment about how DayZ might be one day adapted to single night, single server competitive play. This is NOT to suggest this mode would be the best for all players or even that it should be added to the mod. Obviously there would be no cross-server persistence (which might soon happen anyway).

I know it's bending the original topic a bit but the thought of the OP made me think of it again.

I wasn't really referring to a reward like physical items, but maybe like a title or something?

Or like someone else mentioned, a leader board for people who have survived the longest. After all, what's the main goal in an Apocalypse? Survival, right?

It could even end up adding to others gameplay. Maybe off a title for someone who hunts down and kills the longest lasting survivor?

Anyway, I'm all for sandbox games, trust me. I don't want to turn this game into the typical chase the carrot type of game. I just think there are some little things you can reward players with that serve as a motivation for players to play the game in different ways.

I also think rewarding players for simply surviving would change the current popular style of gameplay, which is rush to Airfield to get 'uber' items, kill people, rinse and repeat.

I also think rewarding players for simply surviving would change the current popular style of gameplay' date=' which is rush to Airfield to get 'uber' items, kill people, rinse and repeat.

[/quote']

Yeah I totally agree.

Btw there are already leaderboards atm, but something ingame that distinguishes between the 4 hour lifespan deathmatchers and the 40 hour lifespan bandits/survivors would be better. Right now they have the same skins, roughly the same gear, the same abilities, etc.

I think this is the only game where "Achievements" would actually mean something. It wouldn't benefit your player in game, but it would show in your DayZ account profile that you've successfully lived for so long, killed so many zombies, etc etc.

I don't want a gold Mach 10 or the ability to fly, but a personalized profile with my own personal achievements might be nice.

btw, is there any way for us to check our current Life Expectancy time?

It could be interesting to have a leaderboard of the top 10 survivalists' date=' those who remained alive for the longest time (and i do not mean RL time but ingame time)

[/quote']

Like this?

http://www.dayzmod.com/leader.php

holy hell, half the people on that list is already dead..is it because of the new patch that increase the zombie amount?