Sign in to follow this  
Sykotron

Change sound effects?

Is it possible to change sound effects at all? I know in CS people modified their footsteps sound to be louder as to better hear people approaching.

I wear a headset and all voice communication (Ventrilo) comes through the headset while all other sounds (game sounds) come through my speakers. I'm sure many people here have a similar set up, but this makes it dificult to hear footsteps which seem to be a very important aspect of this game.

It would be really nice if you could modify them in such a way that instead of hearing different volume footsteps you just heard maybe the same volume always, but each footstep was followed by the spoken number for the distance they are from you as well as direction in some fashion. So as someone is approaching you you might hear *pitter patter 15m 7O'Clock below you*. It could be broken down into some shorter form as well to make it more feasible. This is a ridiculous suggestion that I know would never happen, but I'd like to be able to use the sound effects as well as hear my friends. Playing this game alone is very very boring to me.

Modifying the game for your own advantage is a no no

• Like 1

Modifying the game for your own advantage is a no no

I agree

Well ideally I'd prefer to not have to modify my game files. There should simply be an option in game to make footsteps ONLY louder. Even if I turn up my speakers to hear footsteps over the voices in my head I'm going to have to suffer through painfully loud gunshots O.o

Well ideally I'd prefer to not have to modify my game files. There should simply be an option in game to make footsteps ONLY louder. Even if I turn up my speakers to hear footsteps over the voices in my head I'm going to have to suffer through painfully loud gunshots O.o

An option? Why?

ARMA is about realism. What is so realistic about turning up the volume of footsteps?

Why not having the game sound come out of your headset as well?

I play like this and have had no problems at all.

Footsteps and all the other ambient sounds, sound great (try tinkering with the sound settings), and I still hear my friend perfectly.

so basically you want to increase footstep sound to gain advantage because your friends can't shutup ? ^^ i mean really? this forum is so entertaining thoses days XD

It should be possible and more people should want such a feature. You're all just making instant judgements based off of a lack of understanding of how others play games.

(A) If I can't hear my friends I don't enjoy the game.

(B) If I can't hear footsteps I don't enjoy the game.

In the current state I can't hear both my friends and footsteps therefor I can't enjoy the game.

I shouldn't have to sacrifice hearing footsteps in order to avoid being an antisocial hermit.

It should be possible and more people should want such a feature. You're all just making instant judgements based off of a lack of understanding of how others play games.

In the current state I can't hear both my friends and footsteps therefor I can't enjoy the game.

I shouldn't have to sacrifice hearing footsteps in order to avoid being an antisocial hermit.

Answer me this.

In a real combat situation if you were trying to sneak up on someone or avoiding someone sneaking up on you. Would you and your squad mates be chattering like old ladies or would you all be SILENT?

There are moments when you all need to shut up and listen. Turning up the footsteps is not the answer unless you are fighting enemies with a club foot.

• Like 1

Answer me this.

In a real combat situation if you were trying to sneak up on someone or avoiding someone sneaking up on you. Would you and your squad mates be chattering like old ladies or would you all be SILENT?

There are moments when you all need to shut up and listen. Turning up the footsteps is not the answer unless you are fighting enemies with a club foot.

Answer me this.

In a real combat situation can you heal broken bones with morphine?

In a real combat situation can you hide around a corner until someone feeds you (do you see any needles) a pint of blood which will instantly restore all health?

In a real combat situation can you put a helicoptor rotor assembly in your backpack and continue to move around and fight?

In a real combat situation are you not able to smash someone with the butt of your weapon?

In a real combat situation do you move your wrists only slightly while using your fingers to press keys to kill someone?

Don't throw the realism argument at anything. This is a fucking game.

Try setting up your volumes properly.

I've looked around, but maybe not extensively enough. The only controls I saw were over music, sound effects, voice, and maybe ambience, but nothing about footsteps. Maybe theres a config file I could modify to turn up that class of sounds though?

Looks guys, I'm not trying to start an argument. The fact is you should be able to more freely change the volume of different effects in any application. I was looking for constructive suggestions, but at this point I'm thinking I won't get any nor is there currently an actual way to do this.

Vent normalization.

ingame sound 'effects' to full.

ingame music off (or really low).

when moving into town tell everyone to shut the fuck up about what they had for lunch.

profit?

I know in CS people modified their footsteps sound to be louder as to better hear people approaching.

Yeah, people trying to gain an unfair advantage over other players. Cheating / exploiting. Strangely, most of the people who do this sort of thing refer to themselves as 1337 and other such nonsense.

Seriously though....

I would like to know if there's a way to turn down the engine noise of vehicles. It seems stupidly loud at times. Wouldn't want it to be silent and obviously any client side alteration wouldn't affect how other people hear it. Not trying to have a stealth bus or anything :)

This has nothing to do with footsteps, but I'd really like to know how to get rid of the ocean sound effect because it's TOO FREAKING LOUD and more importantly, I have this fly or bee or something buzzing around my head 24/7 nonstop (maybe not at night) and it's not the dead player flies, it's one fucking bee or something buzzing around in surround sound circling my head wherever I go. I'd like the excise that fucking noise from my game like a goddamn tumor before I go insane from it. I seriously had to quit playing several times because I just couldn't stand it anymore. There's no ambience option or anything, just Effects and Music/Mic, etc. :(

Yeah you can do it. All you have to do is extract the PBO files, edit them and then compress them back into PBO format. I haven't tried it and I am not sure if that will get you banned via Battleeye or whatever.

Can someone tell me if it would? I plan on releasing a new music modification but don't know if it will cause problems

PM me if you need help.

Looks guys, I'm not trying to start an argument. The fact is you should be able to more freely change the volume of different effects in any application. I was looking for constructive suggestions, but at this point I'm thinking I won't get any nor is there currently an actual way to do this.

That's fucking retarded, you absolutely should NOT be able to turn up individual noises just because you're too lazy and stubborn to change your output. Makes a lot of fucking sense to want to turn up footsteps to be audible JUST TO YOU from 1000 meters kiddo.

more importantly, I have this fly or bee or something buzzing around my head 24/7 nonstop (maybe not at night) and it's not the dead player flies, it's one fucking bee or something buzzing around in surround sound circling my head wherever I go. I'd like the excise that fucking noise from my game like a goddamn tumor before I go insane from it. I seriously had to quit playing several times because I just couldn't stand it anymore. There's no ambience option or anything, just Effects and Music/Mic, etc. :(

That's a mosquito kid, go outside sometime in the woods and it'll be much more annoying than the one that you hear periodically in-game.