Gromit (DayZ)

Learnt a valuable lesson..

Ok, So there I was. Longest Id survived, Had a ghillie suit, a ak74su, sadly a makarov, plenty of hospital supplies, food and water to last be decades. Not to mention plentiful ammo. I hear a gunshot, followed by "anyone out there" over direct comms. He sounded nice and all, So I replied "Yes" and set a meeting point. He got to the top of the building first, giving him the advantage. As I climb up the latter I was startled to see him already there.

I make the fatal mistake of saying "Hold on a sec, I got a present for you.." and he fires an entire makarov clip into me ):

If the guy who killed me is out there, Jack *hint hint*, I was going to give you a camo suit that I had been carrying for ages trying to find a person to give it to :D.

Silly Jack ;)

Short-term gain over long-term prosperity, it's a sign of low emotional intelligence.

Silly Jack ;)

hey....if it makes you feel better i got screwed over by a group of IRL friends after looting good stuff with them....ya played for a month and one little thing makes them kill me...now we are on shoot on sight relations....yaaaa so feel better?

Same shit happened to me in the church in Cherno, UK87.

I run in there with a zed train in pursuit, kill them using the door as a choke point, then fizzzzzzz-thud! a flare lands by the door. I run into the church and find defensive cover. I chat with the guy who threw the flare for a bit and let him in (I had looted everything already). He seemed ok and was worried I would kill him if he came in unannounced. He said he was out of ammo for his mak, and I had like 8+ mags - so i gave him one mag. He gives me sardines in return and as I am stooping to pick them up, he shoots me in the face with my own ammo.

Thanks, Chris...

I think your only mistake was expecting any other outcome.. Of course not having any chat now is kinda getting to me. I'd prob do the same thing if someone said something in direct to me like that (no one has yet). I'd just go over there assuming I'd probably die. No big deal. If I don't die then hey great, if I do no biggie ill have fun starting again. He/she better not miss though if they shoot at me. Of course I could shoot them first but what's the fun in that?

Same shit happened to me in the church in Cherno' date=' UK87.

I run in there with a zed train in pursuit, kill them using the door as a choke point, then fizzzzzzz-thud! a flare lands by the door. I run into the church and find defensive cover. I chat with the guy who threw the flare for a bit and let him in (I had looted everything already). He seemed ok and was worried I would kill him if he came in unannounced. He said he was out of ammo for his mak, and I had like 8+ mags - so i gave him one mag. He gives me sardines in return and as I am stooping to pick them up, he shoots me in the face with my own ammo.

Thanks, Chris...

[/quote']

TROLOLOLOL!!! That was me whahahahaha I think xD

Might be... Might very well be... If so, tell me this; what was my in game tag and what primary weapon was I carrying? Also, did Fergy actually shoot you by mistake later or was that just a sweet, sweet lie to appease my wrath?

I also learnt a lesson... Helped someone out and then lagged and he shot me.

What a fucking prick, enjoy the DMR,M4A1CCO, Mountain Dew and all the medical supplies I could carry, fucking Americans...

I was shot by an Englishman. True fact.

I guess the lesson we all need to learn is not to trust anyone you don't already have previous comms with and shoot anyone else on sight if they are likely to be a threat.

That said, I was being chased by a bunch of zeds, east of Zelenogorsk (near the power lines / deer stands) and I ran straight past a guy who was proned on the ground... He didn't shoot me, I didn't shoot him, I stayed around and watched him for a bit then booked it the fuck out of there as our presence was spawning zeds like crazy.

He could have capped my legs then looted my corpse (I'm still alive from the pre 1.7.1.5 days - yep... two morphine shots...) but he didn't... I hope he found some nice loot in the deer stand...

I see this is going in the "don't trust anybody" direction, so here's a true story from a few days ago...

I had caught the attention of some zombies and ducked into a three-level barn. I got into position, ready to shoot them, prepared for however many came in...

The zombies, instead of coming towards me, went up the steps instead. I thought this was strange, and I wondered if they had lost sight of me and were wandering upstairs. I think I shot them, not entirely sure.

Anyway, I went up the steps on the other side and started checking out the loot. As I turned around I saw a survivor over on the other side, second level, with a hatchet. I turned to face him, and I must have been quite a sight for him. I had a shotgun (and a holstered Makarov) and he just had his hatchet.

We stare at each other for a few moments, and then I use the sit down animation to show that I have no hostile intent. He also uses the sit down animation. I try chatting through direct communications, although I've suspected for a while that it's not working.

After a few more moments of awkward silence I return to my feet and start moving around. He does the same.

We meet again at the other barn to the side. We share some more awkward stares. I decide that I have plenty of ammunition so I place my Makarov and several clips on the ground. He looks at it for a while, then he takes them and leaves some ammo of his own.

After that we explore the barn a bit more and I salute him and we go our separate ways. After I saluted and ran out of the barn I saw him exit the other way and watch me from the side.

We were both (understandably) cautious, but even despite the lack of ability to communicate with words we still had a positive experience.

I'm a bit gutted that I never found out who it was. A lot of people will shoot on sight (and a lot of them with intent to kill), but there are some good people out there. I only wish direct comms worked as it should.

I play in a unique manner. I expect to die and I'm prepared for it. I can recoup my losses very quickly. Therefore I let the other player make the first move. The other day somebody shot me and I did nothing in return. I think he felt guilty as he gave me morphine and patched me up.

I'm happy to share what I have. You may choose to take it from me with violence, acquiring a murder in the process, or I can offer it to you willingly. You're the one who benefits or suffers, I'm prepared either way.

I have the same outlook as you. If the guy isn't a threat / not threatening (NOT the same thing) then I will hesitate. This made me a dumb mark on some occasions, but on others I have made (albeit temporary) friends. Chris was not among them.

I would have done exactly the same thing in your situation. Hell, I did with the Chris character - the difference is that you were lucky, I was not.

The only thing that chafes now is that I have survived since before the patch that removed your guns, food and morphine. Therefore I have a little more to lose - two morphine shots to be precise - than before the spawning gear nerf.

Agreed Orosian.

I met a guy some time ago in dayz. I got killed and killed and killed and decided, "next guy I come across I shot first."

I crossed him. I couldn't shot.

He didn't either. We were staring at each other, both with quite good gear. We talked then by writting a lil. We worked together, added each other on skype and we now play most of the time together.

I'm from belgium, he's from canada, he met 2 other guys from Danemark I think and yesterday we were all 4 in a van, we hit stary together and that was my best experience in Dayz.

3 guys I didn't know 2 month ago, and we worked like a crazy team. All based on real trust, not the one you got when playing with RL friends. That was just awesome.

I chose not to kill that guy that day, and he saved my ass probably 20 times since.

This game is incredible. Don't miss that aspect. It's so much rewarding than just shoot in the back.

Yes you can kill someone and pick his gun. But you will have nobody to watch your back.

As I lack a mic, I don't think I will ever get that experience. Added to that, the lap top is situated in the lounge (where the hard wire connection is; fuck wireless for gaming) so I play using big ass can stylee headphones, due to the missus wanting to watch tv etc... This makes using a mic in addition kinda impossible...

Luckily we are moving to a bigger place next week, so I might try to lay a claim to the spare bedroom for my gaming room...

Shitty thing is that even then you guys might not understand my shitty Scottish accent... :(

you need a mic and to use local voip now that side chat has gone, really can save you from death when meeting other survivors.

Some of the friendly encounters I have had was when me and another player were going in opposite directions along the same route. We saw each other from a distance. Both of us had Primary weapons but I took a risk from 50-100 meters away and stopped and saluted. He saluted back and we carefully moved around each other always facing each other. After that we continued on our own ways.

I would suggest always having encounters at range first. Tell or signal in some way for the person to stop and ask if they are friendly. Tell them to salute if they are and then if they salute I would suggest revealing yourself and standing up and saluting. Then other talks can begin with weapons lowered or at least not pointed at the other person. Even then unless the other person takes a risk or does something like gives a blood transfusion for you than be slow to trust and always keep your weapon ready for a betrayal. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS NEVER turn your back on a person you have encountered. This results in less disadvatages for you and helps to reduce your chances of being killed.

This is just my general method. Obviously many people will shoot on sight so be ready for this also. If someone surprises me from close range I might shoot them as a reaction. This is why I suggest getting farther away while staying in some form of communication. (I consider saluting to be communication if out of direct chat range) Others may have other methods that work for them.

On a lower note, I had an unfortunate encounter today. Serious question: if you were going up some stairs with a hatchet in hand and you saw a man at the top, crouched, in camo, with an assault rifle pointing in your direction would you stop?

This guy kept coming towards me and I had to take him out. I didn't enjoy it, and I don't like having a murder and the warning signs associated with it, but he kept coming towards me after he saw me.

To be honest, that's not what really bugs me. I did send two voip messages telling him not to enter and not to come up the stairs, respectively. What bugs me is that I don't know if those messages even went through. My luck with direct communications so far has been next to squat.

So I presume nothing went through. Still, if I was in his shoes and I saw somebody pointing an assault rifle at me, I certainly would not keep moving towards them.

Orosian I was the guy in the barn, tried to chat on direct channel with you but it didn't work for me neither. Server was LUxx or DE10 I think ?

Orosian I was the guy in the barn' date=' tried to chat on direct channel with you but it didn't work for me neither. Server was LUxx or DE10 I think ?

[/quote']

If it was one of those then it's more likely to be DE10. I normally play on UK servers but have hopped to others when it's too dark/busy. Is DE10 No 3rd person/no crosshair/no names?

ONLY make agreements on YOUR terms. There is no reason to be a dick. Just don't allow them to be a dick either. It's possible to play this game without shooting every person you see. You just need to try.

Yeah DE10 is set on 3dp:off/ch:off.

During the same session I also met two friendly guys at Balota airfield, with the first one I had a quick chat about the lack of loot in the base and with the second a nice 2 hours coop session around Kamenka and Bor. I think my character had good vibrations that night!

Well I think that holding a hatchet as only weapon has a reassuring effect on other people. I used to be a heavily-geared-paranoid lonewolf but now I really enjoy playing melee and pistol only.

I don't complain on PvP or rage when getting shot, the fact that almost all survivors now follow the KOS rule makes pacific encounters even more enjoyable.

This game is full of idiots, seriously. If you do not have them on mumble/teamspeak, just empty your clip in their heads. Chivalry is long gone in DayZ.

I usually laugh when I get shafted, since I am quite gullible at times.