Sign in to follow this  
Hagon94

Banditry does not pay. Atleast not for me!

little note: I'm playing the experimental version of DayZ. I spawned on a hill inland somewhere west of berezino. When i turned around to my surprise I noticed I spawned in next to another fellow. I put my hand and greeted this man. He asked me if I was german. I said no and we talked to eachother in english. He seemed like an alright guy. He wasn't very talkative, but just enough to get by. We followed a road down to a small village. We shared loot and fought zombies together. I found some Mosin ammunition, but didn't tell my friend. Later on he found a mosin. I really wanted one but I did not want to ask for it because it might increase the tension and I don't know how he would react to that. He seemed pretty happy when he found it. What I did find, however, was a pair of handcuffs. If you think you know where this is going, you're right. When two strangers meet in DayZ there's a good chance there will come a time when the power balance shifts, tension rise and you cannot trust eachother. Especially without optimal communication, I wasn't willing to go all the way with this guy. But I wasn't going to murder him, that's no fun.

I waited for the perfect opportunity to restrain my german friend. I lead him to a water fountain in hopes he would be distracted. I tried once to handcuff him, but i couldnt make it work. He didn't seem to notice however and we went a little further. We walked into a house and I told him we should eat. I ate some and soon he began eating too. I took the chance and handcuffed him as he was crouched down eating. " Really man?" he responded, dissapointed in me. I apologized politely and stated I was only after his mosin. After I took it I left a can of beans in his bags so that he could eat and left on my merry way.

I followed a road for a little while until I could see a castle in the distance. I went up to the castle and investigated it. There was no one around me that I could see. I even scouted from atop the tower. I went down after I found a direction to go and hid in an evergreen so I could close some background applications on my computer since I was lagging quite badly. After doing so and having written the first part of this story to a friend of mine, I came back to DayZ after a few minutes only to find the screen, quite ironically, to say " You are Dead"

That's dayZ for you! One could definately say I deserved it. Who killed me, though? A zombie? A random player? Maybe even the one I handcuffed earlier? No way to tell, sadly. I don't mind dying in DayZ after beeing bested or dying in a hefty firefight, but I don't like dying by things that I can't do anything about. Such as hackers, lag, or being AFK. It leaves a bitter taste in your mouth. But again, maybe I deserved it.

Anyways, hope you enjoyed my little tale about banditry and karma.

You say you hate being killed while AFK, but you went AFK knowing you weren't gonna see in the game.. 

I disagree with the whole handcuff thing, but atleast you didn't kill him..

On another note, I've only saw one hacker and all he did was teleport around me around 20 mins playing Blueclues and western shootout songs lol.

Edited by Zedertone

moral of the story

DO NOT EVER

AFK in DayZ

ever

or tab out for 'a few minutes' dont even remotely expect to come back alive

when you are tabbed out and move your mouse it tends to sporadically rotate your character which obviously can attract attention and possibly bug 

last time I alt tab'ed out I came back to find a zed roughing me up. Luckily, I had enough time to kill it and bandage. I was out in a bush near a tree line and waited a few minutes before going afk to make sure there wasn't any zeds around. You never know....last time I afk in Dayz. 

You say you hate being killed while AFK, but you went AFK knowing you weren't gonna see in the game.. 

I disagree with the whole handcuff thing, but atleast you didn't kill him..

On another note, I've only saw one hacker and all he did was teleport around me around 20 mins playing Blueclues and western shootout songs lol.

Heh. You're right. You take a risk every time you go AFK, and i certainly did. I just don't like it, is all. I'd rather have a fighting chance :) 

On an unrelated note, I went back into experimental just now and the most hilarious thing happened. I spawned in Berezino and it was very dark there. I looked around for loot but found none. I thought I'd check the school building and if i found nothing I would kill myself and call it a day. so I went ontop of the roof and jumped off while vaulting and to my surprise, landed perfectly safe on my feet. The funny thing is that right where I landed there stood two german guys there. One asked me where I was from and seemed like a friendly guy but his friendl immediately started to punch me. So I beat the guy down and kept beating him for a long time until he was dead. Eventually his friend got tired of just watching me beat him and came to punch me. So I beat him down too and stole all their loot. I got a neat new crossbow over it so I was pretty excited. Then after running around for a while I heard a man yelling in the distance. " ANOTHER SURVIVOR! AFTER ALL THIS TIME!" In a wheezy creepy voice with a foreign accent. He kept chasing me rambling on like a demented psycopath about how he was going to eat my flesh and a lot of other funny things. I tried to get rid of him and almost made it once. I kept closing gates and doors behind me but he found me again. Eventually it turned into a standoff on a road where we fought with our melee battles. The battle went on for a good minute and I went down. He said I would never be forgotten. He would always remember me. His roleplaying was quite funny.

This game is amazing, haha. You get so many unique and quirky moments. 

• Like 1

Well, I'd have to disagree with the title of this post. I'll be honest, I'm a bandit. Right now, I don't see much of a purpose to team up with other players to fight zombies since zombies are not a threat yet. However, you need at least 1 other person to join you in your bandit activities. A friend of mine just bought DayZ and in the beginning we got killed by being careless and not playing tactical but after of week of playing together, we've learned a lot and know the best spots to rob players and how to get the best positioning. You just have to play very carefully and think about every place you go to and where to position yourself.