Sign in to follow this  
Tyson765 (DayZ)

Razor Wire!

Hello there all, Now I bought ArmaII two days ago simply to try out Dayz and you know what? its very buggy (As Alpha versions tend to be) but still I'm really enjoyable! I'm loving it.

But I have noticed something which has really began to ruin the experience for me...

Razor wire.

I know this seems to be a common post but please hear me out.

I've just spawned, with no gear and if I have to spend almost an hour running between Power station, Fire station, Rog por and Airstrip which are meant to be newbie loot spots and find myself bared from them all by wire I begin to find it not as fun and I'm not going to be the only one.

This Mod could easily go the way of the Crysis Warhead Mechwarriors or any other amazing mod lacking people just because of this sort of new player griefing.

I expect to get shot at some point, but I also expect to be able to bloody play!

TL DR Razor wire griefing equipment spawns for new players is cruel and stupid, if we start to lose new players we won't have much of a mod.

If you think that is bad, this game is not for you.

You gotta be resilient to play DayZ, bud.

Expect to work hard to find awesome shit, then lose it all in one mistake - or maybe not. Sometimes there's nothing you can do to prevent a death. Like in life. DayZ is a brutal yet visceral and satisfying experience. Approach it the right way, and it will be one of the best video game experiences you'll ever have.

TL DR Razor wire griefing equipment spawns for new players is cruel and stupid' date=' if we start to lose new players we won't have much of a mod.

[/quote']

Naw, I agree, it's silly and a huge pain. Don't let the macho men "man up" bros tell you otherwise--they're usually the ones putting it there in the first place. :)

But yeah, it's not only an unfair detriment to newly-spawned players desperately looking for and needing supplies, but it's especially counter-productive and unnecessarily punishing (and I'm sure confusing, as it was for me at first) to brand new DayZ players!

Just do what I do: eventually when you find a toolkit, MAKE SURE you always go back to the main locations retards like to wire all up, and take it all down.

Ill agree its highly annoying, however its forcing the thought into how wire and obstacles can be used in game and fixed... when you first start yes its a pain, however toolboxes spawn fairly easy in industrial areas, I probally take a couple strands of the stuff down from places everytime I log in.

I would not be opposed it if "decayed" after so many hours when in city limits... if out of a city then it can be as long as needed... but its kinda silly someone can lay some wire.. log off and anyone who comes by without a toolbox is fucked for hours on end...

You can 'step' over it with V..

But personally I would like to see a decay put on it or allow anyone to be able to dismantle it, but make the timer for it being dismantled slow.

This way if it is spammed around at least people without special items can still remove it if its placed in stupid places.

You can 'step' over it with V..

But personally I would like to see a decay put on it or allow anyone to be able to dismantle it' date=' but make the timer for it being dismantled slow.

This way if it is spammed around at least people without special items can still remove it if its placed in stupid places.

[/quote']

Not always... if its set up correctly by someone who knows how you can not "step over" it... and trien to may result in broken bones and passing out/loss of blood.

They just need to make it not a pain to remove it (so much effort and time zooming into the support strut and then going through an animation.)

I've been removing it as & when i've come across it as I also think it's a terrible feature that has no use yet.

I would not be opposed it if "decayed" after so many hours when in city limits... if out of a city then it can be as long as needed... but its kinda silly someone can lay some wire.. log off and anyone who comes by without a toolbox is fucked for hours on end...

That's the sort of thing I was thinking.

And hey I'm still playing right? but many others might not, the goal in creating a good game is Reward divide by Time= > or < Fun and when Time or risk is beginning to heavily overshadow reward you start to lose players.

The problem is that with use like this its a very negative cascade* (Cascade: Design term for when two different components of a video game react or are used in an unexpected way) as they were meant to help create fortified bases, not to just lay somewhere to piss off people while you go to log off and eat a sandwich!

We need to make sure that we can foster this amazing thing called Dayz to keep growing!