Sign in to follow this  
Thaeggan

are pistols worth using indoors over rifles?

I'm not sure what weapon to use when traversing inside of buildings. I currently have a SKS for outside shooting and wondering if switching to a pistol for indoors combat is worth bothering. I see reviews about the inaccuracy of pistols and that they take more rounds to kill a person ("2-4"), but my lack of combat experience in this game doesn't provide me with ample data to determine it for myself.

I have not had any way of really testing if pistols are worth arming myself with instead of an SKS because I rarely see anyone; I put myself far away from the coast to avoid the bloodbaths.

I understand that an SKS kills in a single bullet or 2, but it has a long barrel that can reveal me before my body turns the corner. However, if a pistol is a solution to that problem yet can't be a reliable killing mechanism because of inaccuracy or lack of a quick kill... why have a pistol?

so, is using a pistol like an FNX45 a good idea for indoor fighting or should I just keep my SKS out at all times?

I only use a handgun for cqb when I have a mosin or a blaze. I'd much rather use the SKS than a handgun indoors. But it's personal preference I imagine

I use an FNX45 or CZ75 when breaching if I'm playing with a Mosin Nagant setup.

If I'm using an SKS or on the very rare occasions I use an M4, I tend to have either a 357 magnum revolver as a backup, due to its high per shot damage and not requiring magazines or an Amphibia S for the utility of having a suppressed weapon.

If you try and storm a building with a Mosin, you'll quickly find out just how limited bolt action rifles are in close combat, so yes.. depending on what weapon you use, there are several good reasons to carry a pistol or revolver.

Over an SKS?

"Maybe" if it's an FNX45 "no" if it's anything else.

I'm not sure if it's implemented yet, but you can't turn around as quickly with a rifle compared to a pistol.

I would much rather have the pistol. If I have myself an M4, shotgun or sawed off, then I'll use those. Otherwise I'll take my pistol. It's easier to maneuver and it doesn't give my position away. The key or keeping your crosshairs very straight, where you would assume somebodies center off mass to be. I'm not used to this tactic as much as I am more familiar with "looser" control settings as compared to most fps games. But, if someone happens to be crouched, you also have a fantastic opportunity to hit em square in the domepiece.

I normally breach with a mosin.

Have recently been switching to my .45 simply because I'm trying to get used to it before the dexterity patch.

I understand that an SKS kills in a single bullet or 2, but it has a long barrel that can reveal me before my body turns the corner.

There's a thing I learned from action films, called "slicing the pie". Instead of walking up to the corner and running around it, you take a step back and sidestep around in a circular motion, as if the corner was a pivot and you were wheeling around it:

tinter1.jpg

In that example the first thing the baddy will see is your right elbow. Once you've killed the other guy you can sit down to have a nice steak and kidney pie, which is where "slicing the pie" comes from.

In my opinion rate of fire and magazine capacity are the deciding factors; if this was a real war you would toss a grenade around each corner, wait for it to blow up, and then charge ahead with your finger on the trigger spraying rounds all over the place. In which case a PPSH with a 75-round drum magazine would be the best choice, or some kind of riot shotgun that you can bumpshot, albeit that with everybody wearing body armour that's less optimal. In the game, an M4 with a 60-round magazine.

Edited by AshleyP

CQC in ARMA/DayZ has always been pretty rough.

ACE (I think?) made some marked improvements.

But when just opening/closing a door is a chore, people sidestep and rubberband, and people can peer around corners with third person, I don't really care what weapon I'm using to clear buildings.

There's a thing I learned from action films, called "slicing the pie". Instead of walking up to the corner and running around it, you take a step back and sidestep around in a circular motion, as if the corner was a pivot and you were wheeling around it:

tinter1.jpg

ya, I do this, but when I open doors I end up pretty close to where the enemy might see my gun barrel. Though now that I am thinking about it... dropping my gun from the shoulder when opening doors would solve this issue...

Edit: which is probably a terrible idea... I need a buddy which I have to cover me... Also, I looked up ways to clear buildings here

CQC in ARMA/DayZ has always been pretty rough.

ACE (I think?) made some marked improvements.

But when just opening/closing a door is a chore, people sidestep and rubberband, and people can peer around corners with third person, I don't really care what weapon I'm using to clear buildings.

I play hardcore mode to get away from 3rd person shenanigans

Edited by Thaeggan