Bruce (DayZ)

Barbed Wire Getting Annoying

You know that "giant tool box" goes into your gadget slot right?

I kinda failed there, then. I was convinced that it took up a few slots in the inventory, my bad. Still, the fences need a lot of work to be proper items, but that can also be said of a lot of other things. I don't agree with their removal from the game, since it adds the possibility of establishing semi-permanent camps, which is cool, but they need to be fixed, or the toolbox spawn chance to be slightly bigger, from rare to common, like the hunting knife. Meaning that the wire fences were more of a temporary solution and the sandbags a more permanent one, since the entrenching tool is rarer and is military.

Having them being deleted when the player disconnects kind of makes them pretty much useless.

how so?

To the people that think this mandatorily needs to be apart of the game, and uses "realism" of ANY sort as a backing - for some reason I just believe all of you are exploiters yourselves.

In "real life," the odds of some arbitrary person lost in the apocalypse picking up and deploying a nice set of barbed wire is null. And even if they do, barbed wire is extremely easy to get over.

This is not a good game mechanic, not with the way the server layout currently is. Removing them from the game is the best fix for now. I have never, once, seen someone legitimately block themselves off so they could stand up in a building and defend themselves.

And to those of you saying, "OH BRAH JUS GHET A TEWLBUX N CUT EM ITS GRATE BROH." toolboxes are not always easy to find - sometimes they are, other times they are not.

If everyone spawned with a mandatory piece of gear that could easily cut all wire, that would be fair. Just engage a 20-30 second timer for taking it down.

The only problems with barbed wire are that it spawns far, far too often and that not enough buildings are enterable. I've been to a factory once and had every single spawn in the factory - and you know how many spawns there are in the factory - have razor wire in it.

That being said I've never had a problem with it, toolboxes aren't too hard to find if you spend some time in industrial areas instead of just looking for military spawns and ghille suits.

To the people that think this mandatorily needs to be apart of the game' date=' and uses "realism" of ANY sort as a backing - for some reason I just believe all of you are exploiters yourselves.

In "real life," the odds of some arbitrary person lost in the apocalypse picking up and deploying a nice set of barbed wire is null. And even if they do, barbed wire is extremely easy to get over.

This is not a good game mechanic, not with the way the server layout currently is. Removing them from the game is the best fix for now. I have never, once, seen someone legitimately block themselves off so they could stand up in a building and defend themselves.

And to those of you saying, "OH BRAH JUS GHET A TEWLBUX N CUT EM ITS GRATE BROH." toolboxes are not always easy to find - sometimes they are, other times they are not.

If everyone spawned with a mandatory piece of gear that could easily cut all wire, that would be fair. Just engage a 20-30 second timer for taking it down.

[/quote']

Lol where to start. You are bitching about people playing the realism card but play it yourself hmm that is not double standards at all.

As for finding gear or in this case toolboxes, nothing is always easy to find that is one of the objectives of the game i.e. to get the tools required to complete your objective whatever that may be.

Lets give everyone all the gear that they need from the start then? lol

Are you even reading what you are typing "brah"? or in other words: Y U NO MAKE SENSE! :D

Having them being deleted when the player disconnects kind of makes them pretty much useless.

how so?

Well first off, a lot of people here seem to think that these tools are only used by server hoppers they are not but I am certain server hoppers use them as well. However that is not going to stop people from server hopping either. Removing them when the player disconnects defeats the whole purpose of them being used legitimately to defend seal off an area and deny access or force people to go a certain route (especially useful when traps and such will be implemented hopefully soon)

I don't understand why people are so keen on easy mode gaming. A game is supposed to be challenging, there is no point in playing a game if there is no challenge.

I used to get frustrated too when starting off in the big cities only to find the good loot spots barricaded but that was because toolboxes weren't spawning at the time. Now they do and there is no reason to complain about it.

Emplacements getting annoying?

get a toolbox

The same thing goes for night time, you have no excuse to complain about it being dark when there is nothing in the sky to provide light, provide your own.

get a toolbox

The same thing goes for night time' date=' you have no excuse to complain about it being dark when there is nothing in the sky to provide light, provide your own.

[/quote']

I agree, but toolboxes are rarer than the damn wires. The spawn chance of a toolbox is 1.96% and the wire is 5.88% (this data is from the wiki http://dayzwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Loot#Tools). The toolbox is categorized as a rare item, when it should be the other way around. Sure, wires are useful, but since they aren't easily taken down (either by glitches and small action hitboxes or by rare toolboxes) they are abused and explioted, together with other flawed mechanics by less scrupulous players.

And i like night time, I'm less likely to be spotted by zeds and snipers :D

Just my can of beans here!!!

I came acdross the fire house in electro and the tower was fully Wired-in.

So I searched and found a toolbox. I spent about an hour running about that tower and found NO WAY to remove the wire. It was placed as to not be removable; as far as I could find.

I understand the use and need for the wire as an added feature. However, wiring in a place making it fully unaccessable with no way for an out sider to remove the wire without hopping servers is to me an exploitive use of the wire; especially if it is set to protect the server hopping croweds claim to loot.

To me this is not a game intended use of the wire. I'm in no way saying remove the wire use. I found it pretty handy when I set up a wall of it and used it to slow down some of those rotty type folks who decided to come for me. *laughs*

By the way; a few of those Zeds managed to cross the wire by walking right threw the stuff. "No fair" *laughs* It did make them slow down a bit, instead of running, so it sort of worked *grins*

However, I agree in part what the exploiters are doing can be veiwed as positive. This is an alpha phase run. So in a way exploiters are testing the exploitive use of items and helping rocket figure out a better way to set it up. *smiles*

So, to conclude. If you hear tons of Zeds trapped in a shed, or see a HUGE wired in area. Just move along or find another server. I think Rocket is aware of the need to rework wire by now *beams smile*

get a toolbox

The same thing goes for night time' date=' you have no excuse to complain about it being dark when there is nothing in the sky to provide light, provide your own.

[/quote']

I agree, but toolboxes are rarer than the damn wires. The spawn chance of a toolbox is 1.96% and the wire is 5.88% (this data is from the wiki http://dayzwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Loot#Tools). The toolbox is categorized as a rare item, when it should be the other way around. Sure, wires are useful, but since they aren't easily taken down (either by glitches and small action hitboxes or by rare toolboxes) they are abused and explioted, together with other flawed mechanics by less scrupulous players.

And i like night time, I'm less likely to be spotted by zeds and snipers :D

That wiki info is waay out of date. They are quiet common in industrial buildings now.

recently been playing re-spawned and in electra in the small area with the high yeild building medium yield and supermarket i had seen all 3 building baracaded off except one entry to all 3 but it was like a maze to get into thus making it hard for one to get in without being shot by the oposing player/group camping the buildings for the loot

So what "purpose" does this wire serve apart from locking other players out of buildings ?

oh..none ... since Zeds can just walk through it, only players are affected by it.

I agree that it should not be so difficult to take down / navigate over it, we can go the "realism" angle, and well those types of fences would be easily navigated.

Again the player base is it's own worst enemy, there is no reason that I can see where the use of this wire would benefit anyone unless your server hopping / loot exploiting.

IF you actually have a valid / non-griefing / non-exploiting use for this then pray tell....

Those posting the "it's in the game deal with it etc" - are obviously "intellectuals" who are far far above everyone else that it's not worth their time to actually construct meaningful sentances, so perhaps they should not bother, and instead stick with their other "mensa" buddies and leave us mere mortals to discuss things without their attempted input.

I'd like to see loot spawns are totally random, anywhere not just in the same places all the time, this would discourage things like this.

Obviously places like the hospital would have specific loot that is going to be there (bandages / assorted medical supplies) - but things like guns / ammo / food / tools, if spawned in totally random locations could work.

Use a car or toolkit problem solved.

no need for removal :huh:

This thread can be closed.:dodgy:

The only thing I want rocket to do, is to make wire have a larger hitbox so I can actually remove it. As it is, most barbed wired fences have me hunting around for several minutes before I find the spot, and the worst ones are unremovable as far as I can tell.

I saw one setup where it was a double layer on a building. I couldn't remove the outer one from the outside and I couldn't remove the inner one from the inside. In order to get rid of them, you had to switch server, position yourself so that you'd be between the two, hop back to the original server, and then remove them from the middle.

Toolbox spawn rate is fine. Wire spawn rate is fine. The wire hitbox is the issue. It's hitbox should be so massive that you could remove it from any point along the entire fence.

It makes me laugh at how easy it would be in real life to get over that barbed wire, by jumping, or likely using the command "get over" from Arma 2. It's not that freaking high to stop you from advancing, and even if it was, i could simply smash a small part of it with my axe and get over that way.

It should stop ZED from getting inside, since they are not that bright, they would trip and cut thenselves on the wire, but it would make sense for it to only hold a feel zombies, after all, they would start covering the barbed areas of the wire with their bodies stuck in it.

The wire is usually carefully placed so that using a toolbox is impossible despite most of the wire being visible.

To me it is just retarded, you think blocking a building like this will protect you and your server hopping buddies while you loot? Every other player can server hop too. All the wire does is encourage this shitty behaviour.

NzMab.jpg

now you mean to tell me that this isn't over doin it... in a building that has a low to medium yield spawn point?

now you mean to tell me that this isn't over doin it... in a building that has a low to medium yield spawn point?

I don't think that's too bad, as it's not like 4 strands deep or anything. I could justify this as fortifying a temporary base of operations or something. Zombies glitch through the stuff, true, but it does still slow them down at times. Plus protecting your self from other players is valid.

I'm not saying the stuff isn't abused but I wouldn't call this a good example.

I don't think that's too bad' date=' as it's not like 4 strands deep or anything. I could justify this as fortifying a temporary base of operations or something. Zombies glitch through the stuff, true, but it does still slow them down at times. Plus protecting your self from other players is valid.

I'm not saying the stuff isn't abused but I wouldn't call this a good example.

[/quote']

okay i guess i can agree with you but at the time i wasnt being chased so i snagged a shot lol

FWIW, every single time I've been to the Elektro FD, the tower is wired (with noone inside). It didn't occur to me what was going on until this thread.

On every server I've been on tonight almost every spawn in elektro and cherno were sequestered off with barb wire.

So were some streets.

It needs to be removed, people are just trolling with it.

The wire is usually carefully placed so that using a toolbox is impossible despite most of the wire being visible.

To me it is just retarded' date=' you think blocking a building like this will protect you and your server hopping buddies while you loot? [i']Every other player can server hop too. All the wire does is encourage this shitty behaviour.

NzMab.jpg

I can almost agree with this. As someone who doesn't agree with server-hopping, sometimes I have felt like I want to do it when I finally find an unblocked building because otherwise it is simply an unfair advantage.

To the people saying, "stup ur wying bro stup crying broh jus get tewlbawx." Why are you even on the forums? People should only be here for constructive criticism, praise, or help. You're just wasting forum space with worthless text.

Barbed wire / sand bags are not innovative or refreshing. The only reason the mod has access to them is because it is based off of a military simulator. If you were introduced to this game fresh, you would not have thought off the top of your head, "oh barbed wire would be great!" The only reason people are attached to it now, is because it offers an extremely easy way to exploit, and shitty players love exploiting.

I met a guy at work who plays this who is terrible at a lot of the games we play, and he quickly started bragging about his "awesome" strategy where he server hops to barbed wire locations. Why would you waste your time even?

"I found this sick ass game. It's really cool - what you do is log onto a server, click the ground, then log off. You do this day and night until you get bored, and then you stop, it's awesome!"