Rakkasan

Hopping Bandits WTF

So I have a tent inside a complex area. I run there and see a guy crawling, I open fire. He disconnects.

I run to check tent, its looted, oh well. It happens. 2 minutes later bullets whiz by my head, I run into the busted up building. Zombies screaming. 1 minute later Zombies are silenced and despawned.

I hear footsteps coming down the stairs, bandit takes shotgun blast to back of the skull, I loot his M4 run it back to my tent, because I dont have room to hold his shit. 10 seconds later shots ring over my head again...I run for cover. Zombies screaming, then silence. I think to myself, these dudes are hopping, check the tent. Sure enough guy is looting tent, hopped in...I shoot him, he buckles, take his crappy AK. Shots ring again over my head, same scenario. Zombies despawn.

I look at my tent again a couple of minutes later, there is the 3rd guy looting as fast as he can. Takes a shotgun blast to the face, DC's. With the AK , M4 and my original Fn FAL. No biggie, its chalked up to a loss.

Server hopping to avoid death needs to fixed badly, but server hopping to move around for better position, on a 3 v 1 is a classless/skilless move. Shit I would have given you the FN FAL, I only keep the tent there for med supplies.

Yee i come across a bandit earlier took a shot at me and missed as he ran i followed cornerd him in a hanger shot 2 burts at him and he sat there then disapeared

Really not upset about losing anything, or losing kills, just pissed that they are able to relocate right ontop of to where they want to go. Didnt even attempt to outflank me, just wanted to loot my tent and were able to pop right ontop of it at will.

I would really like this to be fixed aswell.

Until it is we cannot defend any areas or set up any kind of base.

because its so easy for them to server hop inside any defences you set up.

Ive been killed mainly by people using the hop, flank, shoot tactic ... grrr

If i wanted to play The Matrix I would.

I don't know if it is possible but just set a timer before you can disconnect, so if you try to respawn there is maybe this sandglass for 5-10 seconds and then they disconnect.

So there is enough time to kill the hopper.

Guys....this kind of post has been all over the forums.

1. Rocket agrees that its a cheat

2. Hes working on a fix (allegedly)

3. its an alpha.

Earlier in the alpha wasn't there a mechanic that paralyzed you with the hourglass for a couple of minutes if you login right after disconnecting? I'm 99% sure that was the case.

I fail to see why you have a tent sent up inside a popular area unless your using it to bait people to shoot?.... I would be suspect of your intentions. I think your the bandit here and your getting upset the victims your luring in with your tent/loot trap are getting away with d/c

I was thinking. . . how about forcing logout at a campfire or you lose all your stuff? You can get the stuff to make a fire fairly easily. You could even extend it to your own tents as well. It wouldn't stop the lame server hopping to get supplies, but it would totally shut down DCing in the middle of a fight to avoid death.

I would really like this to be fixed aswell.

Until it is we cannot defend any areas or set up any kind of base.

because its so easy for them to server hop inside any defences you set up.

Ive been killed mainly by people using the hop' date=' flank, shoot tactic ... grrr

If i wanted to play The Matrix I would.

[/quote']

Please point me to this Matrix game you speak of....... lol

How about we save this topic, keep it being from just another gripe-fest. I now declare this thread the Anti server hop thinktank. DCing is something we can't stop right now, but server hopping is something we can have a defense for. We need solutions. Player side tactics. Things to avoid. No more anecdotes, it's time for ideas, discussion.

Problem: DCing and Server hopping to gain an advantageous position.

The known: Your current location, their previous location.

The unknowns: Their amount of awareness of you, their full armament(do they have grenades), their goal(escape or kill), how many teammates they have on the server

The unknown unknowns: the conditions of the server they hop between, how many teammates they have across servers.

Possible solutions: Think from their perspective, realize what they would deem an advantageous position, then get overwatch on that position for when they come back. Move to a position where they will have to server hop again to get the kill, make sure that area has only one good position for them to hop in from and camp that.

Input people! "I want lists and solutions by the time I finish this juice box! Warning -- I am thirsty! And it is fruit punch! And it is delicious!"

I fail to see why you have a tent sent up inside a popular area unless your using it to bait people to shoot?.... I would be suspect of your intentions. I think your the bandit here and your getting upset the victims your luring in with your tent/loot trap are getting away with d/c

I think this is the most retarded post ive seen yet. Who gives a fuck if hes a bandit? Thats within the rules of the game. Creatively setting up a trap like that is what makes this game fun. You sound like youre condoning dcing to get away from bandits, which is a confirmed fucking exploit.

Earlier in the alpha wasn't there a mechanic that paralyzed you with the hourglass for a couple of minutes if you login right after disconnecting? I'm 99% sure that was the case.

yes and it was annoying because sometimes you join a wrong server and need leave to rejoin the correct one, or the server you join is way laggy so you want to choose a better one, or its night and you want a better one, or when you join you realize for any number of reasons you need to exit and relaunch game to fix any number of problems ect ect.

basically it hurt people more than it helped against hoppers.

fix should be 20 second countdown where you are unable to move or else the countdown restarts. I hate to use the example of world of warcraft cuz that game sucks but like their system. When you log out, it counts down and you are able to break the countdown by moving or doing actions if you feel threatened, but to log out you need to sit still and not take any actions for X amount of time.

You, sir, are an absolute idiot.

Could his tent be a trap? Absofuckingloot(ha)ly.

"....getting away with D/C" Yea you might want to think about what you actually said there.

Threads like this do nothing but educate other lowlifes.

There have been a few good suggestions on how to counter this. One being a cool down timer when you go from server A to server B' date=' you wouldn't be able to join server A again for a set amount of time.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=20863

[/quote']

That's an amazingly good idea to deal with server hoppers who move for a better position.

If I have to wait 5 minutes every time a join a server, that's fine with me.

Going to make me stand still for 30 seconds to log out, that's fine. I'm in the middle of the woods laying prone anyway.

I have to do both you say, that is awesome!!

I'm not sure what the problem is here. As a legit player I have absolutely no problem with anything suggested to stop this stuff. Honestly who is arguing against these ideas, besides the cheaters of course?

This is from a new player who has never even shot at anyone yet, let alone come across this problem at all. I'm just sick of hearing about it already. Honestly if these changes punish any type of legit player is people like me, and I welcome it with open arms.

For what it is worth, I think if server hopping is eliminated or deterred...this mod will be so much better. Out of all the things that are wrong, this is the worse.

This just takes so much away from the game. Less realism. Less danger. Less gratification.

So many people who get killed are stacked with great gear because it is so easily replaced.

If this were a trap tent, I would not put good gear in it. And I would put it in a place where I would have the tactical advantage, not the players trying to loot it. I am not going to sit there all day and guard it. There are large amount of zombies that spawn in the complex. So those who go in deserve what is in it, if they get pass all the zeds (unless they hop). I myself dont go to that tent unless I have 4-5 extra mags of ammo for my side arm. I do not camp my tents or vehicles. If I wanted to kill players I would just grab an assualt rifle and run down the shore and do it. Do not need to bait anyone for that. I honestly do not care if you are a survivor or bandit. I had the decency not to disconnect when I knew I was probably going to die. They didnt. They got to reap the rewards of a simple, not sure if exploit is the right word, feat.

The more and more I see this going on the more and more I feel chars should be server locked. I was killed a few minutes ago but a guy looting Stary Sober Military tents. There was like 6 people on then all of a sudden a person connects and I am dead. This is ruining my fun and excitement. It is one thing to be hardcore. It is another to die for a stupid reason like lazy assholes server hopping. I can only imagine what the international airport is like. I was in one tent and someone shot me in the back. A whole days work gone.

So I have a tent inside a complex area. I run there and see a guy crawling' date=' I open fire. He disconnects.

I run to check tent, its looted, oh well. It happens. 2 minutes later bullets whiz by my head, I run into the busted up building. Zombies screaming. 1 minute later Zombies are silenced and despawned.

I hear footsteps coming down the stairs, bandit takes shotgun blast to back of the skull, I loot his M4 run it back to my tent, because I dont have room to hold his shit. 10 seconds later shots ring over my head again...I run for cover. Zombies screaming, then silence. I think to myself, these dudes are hopping, check the tent. Sure enough guy is looting tent, hopped in...I shoot him, he buckles, take his crappy AK. Shots ring again over my head, same scenario. Zombies despawn.

I look at my tent again a couple of minutes later, there is the 3rd guy looting as fast as he can. Takes a shotgun blast to the face, DC's. With the AK , M4 and my original Fn FAL. No biggie, its chalked up to a loss.

Server hopping to avoid death needs to fixed badly, but server hopping to move around for better position, on a 3 v 1 is a classless/skilless move. Shit I would have given you the FN FAL, I only keep the tent there for med supplies.

[/quote']

Idea: http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=20944

Yeah, Rocket already tried the cool down on log out fix. What happened is you would get disconnected, log back in, freak out because someone was standing next to you, you would shoot them and fall over dead. You would be shooting yourself because you were still standing there when you logged back in. It was hilarious but not a good fix... LOL

He needs to figure out some way around that before he can implement it again. I'm sure he's working on it.

I was thinking. . . how about forcing logout at a campfire or you lose all your stuff? You can get the stuff to make a fire fairly easily. You could even extend it to your own tents as well. It wouldn't stop the lame server hopping to get supplies' date=' but it would totally shut down DCing in the middle of a fight to avoid death.

[/quote']

Which sucks when the server has desync issues, disconnects, crashes etc.

No thank you.

Lost a tent already thanks to a server crash.