sleepless

UK3 locked with admin + 5 others?

I get your concerns Cardiac' date=' some people just do not think properly. They see a server that is locked, with 6 - 10 people on it, and they automatically think the server is passworded, which it is not, with a selected group of players on it farming gear, which it is not.

All that's happened is that the first 10 who mashed their keys the fastest got in before it was relocked.

[/quote']

What about when a server stays locked for over an hour and the playercount never goes above 10?

You don't get it' date=' do you? You're not hosting a private server for your own enjoyment. You're letting the DayZ team use your server to host their game/mod. If you're doing something detrimental to the community, of course people will yell at you for it.

[/quote']

You're the one who doesn't get it. There is nothing detrimental being done here. As we've just shown, allowing everyone in at the same time is what is detrimental.

Complete nonsense. The server was locked with 6 people for bloody ages last night - if that was traffic management what were you waiting for to let the next six in? Hopefully, this now wont happen again. You should respect the spirit of the mod or else go and play a game where this nonsense doesnt matter.

If it ever happens and when it happens, tell a dev or Rocket. They will investigate it.

I like how you all keep banging on about just being the 6 of us, completely ignoring the fact that we cannot control who gets in an out, and when we unlock it and you hit join, you will get in. Instead you prefer to ignore that and think that we just joined ourselves somehow and didn't let anybody else in.

Randoms join the server at the same time we do before the server is locked. If there was anything suspicious being done, they'd have screamed here 'I'm on the FS server at the moment and they're doing such and such'

I never even mentioned any specific people or servers. You're getting awfully defensive about something you apparently never did.

Lol, no. You've come to a thread about my server, talking. So I've replied.

Look this is pointless. Stop trying terrible excuses for every point, 40 people on a server, you kick everyone except clan mates, lock server, private playground. This can go on all week, just stop doing it or stage gradual entry over a reasonable 5-10 minutes and nobody needs to report anything, this thread dies, your server isnt culled when he gets round to it. Everyone will be happy.

Stop being a retard. If there were 40 people on the server and we kicked them all, they'd be here complaining. Use your head for once.

So much BS in this thread, it was locked for a good 15 mins + today (i only saw it for 15 mins)

There was also a server locked, cant remember which, with 3 clan members in it, this was locked for a lot longer. maybe *MP* or something like that

I always saw the server locked with people in, like 20/30 not with only the FS so I don't think that they are doing irregular things.

I just want to question, how it's possible for someone to start a clan and set up a base in this server if most of the time it's locked with just half of the people who can join?

My friend and I have found a car and we started to set up a base to live togheter in the game, but we can't join togheter on the server, and it's difficult also for one of us to join.

Se it will be always in this way and we have to found another server, car etc, or the server will be unlocked more frequently?

Sorry for the bad english.

It depends Rugby. Thanks first of all for clarifying that it's not just FS members, but in fact quite populated as we unlock/lock.

The server cannot handle 50 connections incoming at the same time, this mod is alpha it's supposed to be buggy as hell. A lot of people are treating this game as release, and whining like it's a release but it's a buggy alpha. If it changes and the server can handle it, we will just let everyone in at the same time.

If one of you is in the server and the other isn't, just ask the admin if he can unlock it again, or how long until he's going to unlock again, as he will be keeping an eye on the database requests and SQL requests coming in and whether it can handle it or not.

Seems simple, to me. Playing on a private or locked server results in that player being kept off of the public servers.

It depends Rugby. Thanks first of all for clarifying that it's not just FS members' date=' but in fact quite populated as we unlock/lock.

The server cannot handle 50 connections incoming at the same time, this mod is alpha it's supposed to be buggy as hell. A lot of people are treating this game as release, and whining like it's a release but it's a buggy alpha. If it changes and the server can handle it, we will just let everyone in at the same time.

If one of you is in the server and the other isn't, just ask the admin if he can unlock it again, or how long until he's going to unlock again, as he will be keeping an eye on the database requests and SQL requests coming in and whether it can handle it or not.

[/quote']

It's just the truth, just now i'm playing with other 3 friend and I have to say that this afternoon when i asked for unlock explaining the situation one of you guys answered me and helped me, so thank you.

Just another question, your team have a lot of veichles, there are a limited number of veichles and items like night vision goggles or we can find more?

Little off topic, btw, we are a new clan, little and friendly and maybe we can trade stuff, i think i have that you can need!

It depends Rugby. Thanks first of all for clarifying that it's not just FS members' date=' but in fact quite populated as we unlock/lock.

[/quote']

It's just the truth, just now i'm playing with other 3 friend and I have to say that this afternoon when i asked for unlock explaining the situation one of you guys answered me and helped me, so thank you.

Just another question, your team have a lot of veichles, there are a limited number of veichles and items like night vision goggles or we can find more?

Little off topic, btw, we are a new clan, little and friendly and maybe we can trade stuff, i think i have that you can need!

Yeah, the admin is playing the game also so if it gets to 35/45 and he goes a few minutes without unlocking because he's being swamped by zeds then a polite ask and he will unlock it until we are full. You asked yourself today and he did it. Bingo. We've got no agenda, or any conspiracy.

I've got no idea how many vehicles there are on the server. We had 3 choppers and a jeep. We were lucky that one chopper spawned where one of us happened to be (NE airfield) raiding and nobody was there because people don't often go that far up north so we scooted over and got the chopper and jeep that was there. We'd already lost 3-4 choppers due to bugs in this alpha on other servers so we've been keeping stock piles of parts in tents so we had it ready. Once we had that up it has a radar on it that shows you where other vehicles are. So flying around the north we found another one at the dam in the middle of the map, again on its own. Nobody ever goes there ever, so we managed to get that off without any problems. This is all on populated servers, so people are saying ohhhh you're farming everything on your own servers, bullshit.

Then the third chopper we knew about because somebody told the whole server in side chat that it was there. So on a full server we fixed and lifted the heli off the hospital roof in Cherno with people coming to kill us, we had me and pope fixing it whilst killing bandits before we flew it off.

No cheating at all, people were there to see us take it.

On the subject of trading stuff, send me a PM on this forum. We won't ever bring you to our base camp, but if you've got something we need and vice versa we can meet somewhere on the map.

Stop being a retard. If there were 40 people on the server and we kicked them all' date=' they'd be here complaining. Use your head for once.

[/quote']

Yeah, shown your level of maturity there. you seriously think we have to guess how you manage to have the same people locked in every day? Password protected for 10 seconds then locked, server restart wait 20 minutes the start, join and lock, quite frankly do you think i give enough of a shit to sit there all day and see how its done? I tried to give you a peaceful way out, but your raging teenage hormones clearly got the better of you and you battled through the acne rage and spat out personal insults. Who the fuck do you think you're kidding here? everyone knows what UK3 is famous for, and with another thread just started on general, hopefully your infamy will be sufficient for you to be clamped down on. The first example of a new era of server revocations! The first dragged out to the wall and shot! Viva la revolucion! Have a nice day :)

Stop being a retard. If there were 40 people on the server and we kicked them all' date=' they'd be here complaining. Use your head for once.

[/quote']

give you a peaceful way out, but your raging teenage hormones clearly got the better of you and you battled through the acne rage and spat out personal insults. Who the fuck do you think you're kidding here? everyone knows what UK3 is famous for, and with another thread just started on general, hopefully your infamy will be sufficient for you to be clamped down on. The first example of a new era of server revocations! The first dragged out to the wall and shot! Viva la revolucion! Have a nice day :)

You have no idea what you are talking about. 'Lock it with a password then restart it join and lock it'

You don't even know how it works. I'm way out of my teens, and my acne is none existant. Do you need proof of this as well? No doubt you'll ignore it, like you have everything else in this thread. Or you can stop making childish remarks like the old 'guess the age must be a teenager' nut that we've all heard seventy billion times throughout our gaming lives. The way I'm replying to you, is a retort for the amount of times you've tested my patience posting what you've clearly got no idea about. Ignoring the other people who have come on to confirm how our server operates and how legit it is.

You have no idea how many people try to connect to our server, what you are suggested is next to impossible. While it's locked it's getting spammed by connections, the second we unlock it we get 4 connections at least with another 6 in the next second. Then we lock it again.

So I'll put it as plainly as I can, for about the 4th time that you keep ignoring it.

It, is not possible, to choose, who connects, to our server. Many randoms, enter the server, at the same time, as us.

Our vehicles, have been lifted, on a full server, in front of everybody, having to kill people whilst obtaining them.

Enough people have come on here, who play on our server and see what happens, to back us up, vs you, who sits in the lobby and sees nothing of what happens in the server.

Accusations aside...

I see no reason why a server would be locked for more than 20 minutes.

Locking the server when its FULL could probably bring it back in sync, and doesnt lose it again when you unlock it and cause a flood of connections.

Locking it for a select few for long periods of time is against the spirit of a harsh survival...especially since characters carry-over server to server.

I would retort but youre just a broken record.seventy billion times - really? Maybe you need to take that as a hint. Of course there are multiple ways of getting your own people on a server using mumble or vent to coordinate, youre not the first or the last, certainly you are top of the problem heap at the moment though. Who gives a crap how its happening, but by all means feel free to spout the same old justification of its not possible, then tell me im the deluded one.

I guess the 'many' people ( must be what, 4 now, all your clan, one of whom brought out the 'we pay for it, we can do what we like' chestnut - id stop him posting supportive quotes in the future if i were you or vet them first) who back you up should be weighed against everybody else to whom it is quite clear youre all exploiting, not least from you lot not being able to resist posting pics of your phat l3wt. As for the personal insults, dont throw stones in glass houses if you dont like getting cut. As for not seeing whats on your server, youre right, i wouldnt touch UK3 with a bargepole - when its not locked that is!

This is really tedious now. Do yourself a favour, shut up and re-read this post, absorb it and comply. I really cant be arsed to keep going over the same ground over and over again and all youre doing is adding to the length of this thread -

Accusations aside...

I see no reason why a server would be locked for more than 20 minutes.

Locking the server when its FULL could probably bring it back in sync' date=' and doesnt lose it again when you unlock it and cause a flood of connections.

Locking it for a select few for long periods of time is against the spirit of a harsh survival...especially since characters carry-over server to server.

[/quote']

Im not sure if you're quoting my post and responding to it, or using it to back up your response to others...

Im actually against people locking their servers for their own gains.

In any case, dont be rude about making your point. Since this mod has taken off my patience with the wider (and more rude) gaming community has been stretched very thin, no matter what side of the argument youre on.

WARNING post contains wall of text.

Good afternoon everyone,

I am the server admin for UK3 and I thought it was time that I stepped in and yet again explained a few things. Before I begin please note that I will not be dragged down into any arguments, I will simply ignore any rage posts and will reply to any questions people have so long as they do not (as afore mentioned) contain rage or abuse.

Firstly let me explain a few things about how the DayZ servers work.

1. It is not possible to password or un-password a server with out rebooting the server. Thus if we boot the server passworded then no one can join (unless they know the password) until it is rebooted.

2. There is a difference between "locked" and "passworded", locked servers do not allow ANYONE to join at all, where as passworded servers can be joined if you enter the password. Thus it is impossible to lock a server to allow people to join selectively.

3.DayZ does not work like a normal Arma2 server due to the link it uses to the main Database that stores your locations and items, as a result of this when a player joins a server it not only sends a login request to the server they are joining , but must also pull the data on that player from the main Database before the user can log in fully. This is what causes much of the delay when joining servers, when so many people try to join a server all at once (as soon as it starts up) it massively overloads the server and it takes a very long time to stabilise, if it stabilises at all.

So with these facts in mind we have tried different things to increase server stability.

We tried not doing anything (no connecting throttle no passworded testing) the result was 6 crashes in the space of 2 hours, clearly this would not work.

We tried pass-wording the server and putting the password in the server name, but people did not seem to notice it and we were accused of foul play, so that idea was no good.

We have recently been locking the server from the get go, then opening and joining, then locking it again and kicking everyone but me so at to allow the level to load and all the pre game mission briefing ect to be finished before players join. Then from inside the server unlocking and allowing 10 or so players in, then relocking and waiting for a while to let them all load, from there on cycling this process until the server is full. Once full the server is unlocked and left unlocked. There are some drawbacks to this system.

1. It requires me to be in game and not being eaten by a horde to open the chat to perform the commands, and im not always around , and not always Z free. Nor am I able to be awake and logged in to the game 24/7

2. Despite the system reducing load on the server some people still take white a while to load, and as people are inherently impatient they disconnect rather than wait for the server to allow them in. This is what results in the server being so sparsely populated despite being locked for a while.

3. It seems to attract all the flame the forums have to offer. (At least it seems to pull some heat away from the anti-pvp threads =D )

So these you have it, I hope that this explanation has clarified why I operate the server the way that I do. As I have explained before in other threads, the FS group itself has extremely strict rules regarding the use of the server that I run, and any indication of attempting to abuse the way I operate the server will result in a permanent ban from the server. However given the way in which I am currently doing things (locking and unlocking) which is not able to distinguish between players, it is not possible for any of them to gain an advantage over any other player anyway.

If you have suggestions on how I could better operate the server with a mind to ensure stability and reduce all round forum rage I would be more than happy to hear it. As with all DayZ servers the Dev and Server teams have RDP access to the server itself and have the ability to intervene at any time, or to simply manage the server themselves should they so chose, so please rest assured that if there was any concerns of foul play that they would step in directly.

Thank you for your time and sorry for the wall of text, I look forward to your reply's in due course.

Kind regards,

VPope - UK3 Server Admin

Posted this in the other thread by mistake:

I happened to join UK3 yesterday for a brief period while trying to get pat the 'waiting server response' issue. Vpope was on and locked the server while everyone who was in black screen had loaded. He asked everyone to say when they were in and then unlocked it. Stop being so paranoid, it's Alpha there will be issues which require admins to do things like this to allow people to get into a game. I spent 3 hours trying to get in a server yesterday and the only one that went through was UK3 so keep locking it while people load guys :)

I think its useful to have VPope lay that out, and whilst it is good to have the server admin state that that is how it operates, I must point out that the main concern is that the server stays locked with the same players for a very extended period. Maybe that is something he should look at, as has been pointed out by Griff a period of longer than 20 minutes should be considered unreasonable. If theres one thing that changes on UK3 because of this thread then I think that should be it.

And yes Griff, I was quoting your post to make that point, but you are a bit late making the point about rudeness as it has been going on since page 1! Im not pointing fingers because im as baitable as the next person. This forum currently has 900 connects in the last 15 minutes -There are influential boards in the PC gaming community that have a quarter of that number and are way more heavily admined.

Anyway, job done I think as regards this particular topic. Lets get back to enjoying the game.

Thank you for a constructive post, I will be looking into a method to automate the locking and unlocking of the server based on load to remove the human element from the equation , currently if i go afk the server can be locked for far too long. Hopefully i can come up with some kind of scripted solution.

And yes I would like to get back to playing more and enjoying it so i will hopefully see you on a server soon :)

I think its useful to have VPope lay that out' date=' and whilst it is good to have the server admin state that that is how it operates, I must point out that the main concern is that the server stays locked with the same players for a very extended period. Maybe that is something he should look at, as has been pointed out by Griff a period of longer than 20 minutes should be considered unreasonable. If theres one thing that changes on UK3 because of this thread then I think that should be it.

And yes Griff, I was quoting your post to make that point, but you are a bit late making the point about rudeness as it has been going on since page 1! Im not pointing fingers because im as baitable as the next person. This forum currently has 900 connects in the last 15 minutes -There are influential boards in the PC gaming community that have a quarter of that number and are way more heavily admined.

Anyway, job done I think as regards this particular topic. Lets get back to enjoying the game.

[/quote']

Thank you for finally accepting from the admin what I kept telling you over and over. :D

but you are a bit late making the point about rudeness as it has been going on since page 1!

Thats what the "report post" function is there for. Throwing a few warnings around can defuse the high emotions.

And Vpope, thank you for clearing that up. Sounds legit.

I think its useful to have VPope lay that out' date=' and whilst it is good to have the server admin state that that is how it operates, I must point out that the main concern is that the server stays locked with the same players for a very extended period. Maybe that is something he should look at, as has been pointed out by Griff a period of longer than 20 minutes should be considered unreasonable. If theres one thing that changes on UK3 because of this thread then I think that should be it.

[/quote']

Thank you for finally accepting from the admin what I kept telling you over and over. :D

Happy to oblige, lets keep those lockouts to a couple of minutes and everyone can have a nice day :)