sleepless

UK3 locked with admin + 5 others?

So is this like a private game? Theres quite a few of these going it seems. so is this the future of Dayz?

retarded, I thought there was a rule against these types of private servers. If not, let me know, ill hire one out and just have people from ocuk on it, which would be totally anti the spirit of the game, just like this.

retarded' date=' I thought there was a rule against these types of private servers. If not, let me know, ill hire one out and just have people from ocuk on it, which would be totally anti the spirit of the game, just like this.

[/quote']

If you did that m8, you will be more retarded then they.

Give the example!

oh thats a brilliant argument. Heres an alterantive idea, how about not doing it and destroying the spirit of the game? and seriously mate, do you think reputation changes are going to bother me? you need to go and stand in some sunlight.

retarded' date=' I thought there was a rule against these types of private servers. If not, let me know, ill hire one out and just have people from ocuk on it, which would be totally anti the spirit of the game, just like this.

[/quote']

If you did that m8, you will be more retarded then they.

Give the example!

Course i wouldnt do it, I wouldnt be bitching about it on the forums if i was going to. I know that the ocuk players enjoy the challenge of playing in the mod the way it was meant to be played and stay away from this kind of nonsense. Just annoys me that its allowed, but I suppose thats something for Rocket to deal with as he sees fit.

Ahhhh people moaning about something they know nothing about...

You probably weren't there when we airlifted the third chopper we have from the roof in Cherno after the server was full and a guy typed 'there's a chopper on the hospital roof in Cherno'

So we took both choppers over, dropped 2 guys off, went over to find it needed repairing completely, flew the choppers off to find parts whilst me and Pope sat on top of the hospital whilst the whole server knew where we were, popped 2 bandits that came to kill us, left the roof ourselves to explore the warehouse right next to us, came back, fixed the chopper, refuelled it and flew it off.

On a full server.

So yeah, carry on putting 2 and 2 together and getting 65.

Those who play on our servers regularly thank us for throttling connections, allow 6-10 in, let them all load into the game, give it a few minutes, let another 6-10 in etc until we are full. So we will listen to the people that play on our servers, than some people on a forum who have no idea what they are talking about and rage.

The alternative is to let all 45 in at the same time, and have nobody able to play all stuck on Waiting for server response.

Then guess what happens? Moar whine!!!

'Omg everyone stuck on server response?'

'Anyone else stuck on server response?'

'Anyone else stuck on server response?'

'Anyone in yet?'

'I know that like 50 people have typed this alread ybut for no reason whatsoever I'm also going to ask, anyone else stuck on server response?'

OK so you let 6 in for an hour and a half and then everyone else in one go... good throttling, strange it wasnt mentioned previously. Anyway, this is going round in circles, its an issue that Rocket has said he will look at in the future so there is nothing to do but point it out when it happens. You guys enjoy your server.

We do, as do the patrons that populate our server and observe our throttling and thank us for it.

I don't get it, who's providing your server hosting? Because no-one else has to throttle their server connections for players to successfully connect to their servers; it's only a 2-3 minute waiting time as the server gets around to responding to each connection. Just read a book or something while you wait.

Regardless of your intentions, it still looks dodgy. Those 5-6 players in the server get into a locked server by themselves. If they spawn onto the airfield, they get several minutes with no-one else threatening them before you let the next load in - and if you're the players connecting first, you get to choose that time limit. Yeah, if I were a patron on your server and you were granting me free-time on the NW airfield before the next load jump in, I'd be pretty damn thankful for your throttling too.

On top of that, how do you select the groups to let in? Surely, you couldn't just unlock then lock the server because you're still going to get a horde of connections trying to rush into your server - like opening a floodgate. Are you giving the password to select people? How do you select those people? I'm actually curious just how you operate this whole 'throttling' connection service, and whether it's actually benefiting the server load.

Cardiac, that is exactly what happens. The server is unlocked, people connect, the server is relocked again. There is no way to choose who enters. That's why the people whining are none sensical.

Even when locked, we have the screen being spammed by people trying to get in. Then we unlock it, then we get notice of about 10 people joining at once, then we relock it.

If it is locked, there is no password. You cannot lock and unlock with a password. If you password it, you need to restart the server without a password before people can join again which obviously kicks everyone from the server. So the server just gets locked, without a password, nobody can connect, then it's unlocked and we get 10 random people who were previously spamming join connect, then it gets locked again.

Other people don't throttle their connections, and they get whining that people are stuck for 15 minutes on waiting for server response. We can see the database live and see the traffic incoming. We had issues the other day where the server crashed 3 times in 2 hours with 'No message received for X seconds' which is why we started doing it.

The players who get in are not 'let in' we have people on TS screaming LET ME INNNNNN because we lock them out as well.

At the end of the day, if someone has bought, or rented a server with their own money, its not up to someone who wont put their hands in their pockets to tell them how to run it.

I have a server which cost £2,500 and I'll be damned if some whining kid has the right to tell me how I should run a server.

If you aren't happy, get a job, buy a server then you can do as you like.

To further proove we are right, we've just restarted the server after noticing HIVE bugged, we let everybody on, then we get spammed with 'omg I'm waiting on server response, anybody else?' over and over and over again. Speak to the BTB guys if you want confirmation that this just happened.

At the end of the day' date=' if someone has bought, or rented a server with their own money, its not up to someone who wont put their hands in their pockets to tell them how to run it.

I have a server which cost £2,500 and I'll be damned if some whining kid has the right to tell me how I should run a server.

[/quote']

You don't get it, do you? You're not hosting a private server for your own enjoyment. You're letting the DayZ team use your server to host their game/mod. If you're doing something detrimental to the community, of course people will yell at you for it.

You don't get it, do you? You're not hosting a private server for your own enjoyment. You're letting the DayZ team use your server to host their game/mod. If you're doing something detrimental to the community, of course people will yell at you for it.

You're the one who doesn't get it. There is nothing detrimental being done here. As we've just shown, allowing everyone in at the same time is what is detrimental.

There is no argument here for those that DO NOT GET IT

what they are doing is managing the server better than both and if it wasnt for privately owned servers, which is the only server type in ArmA, BIS don't run any, you wouldnt have any servers to play on.

Cardiac' date=' that is exactly what happens. The server is unlocked, people connect, the server is relocked again. There is no way to choose who enters. That's why the people whining are none sensical.

Even when locked, we have the screen being spammed by people trying to get in. Then we unlock it, then we get notice of about 10 people joining at once, then we relock it.

[/quote']

Copy. Provided that's what's going down then, and you have no ability to select/choose the players getting into the server first, I don't see the problem with this concept of throttling then. Sounds like you've figured out a temporary solution to the server response delays when dealing with multiple connections. Nice work.

Still, like I said, it's going to look dodgy regardless of your intentions. Be prepared to receive these kind of criticisms no matter how you size it up.

At the end of the day' date=' if someone has bought, or rented a server with their own money, its not up to someone who wont put their hands in their pockets to tell them how to run it.

[/quote']

No, that can't stand here. It might apply to every other game out there, but DayZ works differently.

When every server shares a common database, it's difficult to use the 'our server, our rules' argument since the actions committed on your server will have a direct effect on the DayZ community, population and economy. If you lock a server and only allow your friends to access it, then you could spend hours farming the military bases till you've got your gear and then move to another server to hunt everyone else down - exploiting your unfair advantage of owning a server where you're free from outside threat.

The privilege for your server to connect to the central HIVE database has to be earned through the respect of equality and fairness of every player in DayZ - not just your clan or groupies. Notice the complete lack of private DayZ servers, and the crackdown by the developers on power-abuse administrated server hosters. Effectively, your servers are donations to the DayZ mod to allow players to access this experience; it's not for server-hosters to decide how DayZ should be played and who gets to play it with them.

When Rocket grants servers the ability to host their own independent databases separate from the central HIVE, then fine, do as you like: it's your server and your rules won't affect anyone else who wants to play legitimately. Until then, understand that for the sake of fairness and equality throughout the DayZ community, the DayZ community will not stand for improper server-hosting practice and they have the right to express their discontent against it.

I get your concerns Cardiac, some people just do not think properly. They see a server that is locked, with 6 - 10 people on it, and they automatically think the server is passworded, which it is not, with a selected group of players on it farming gear, which it is not.

All that's happened is that the first 10 who mashed their keys the fastest got in before it was relocked.

I do this sometimes and it works pretty well. Always works well when there are large amounts of players trying to get on at once regardless if it's DayZ or not. I can think of many situations where it has been an effective way to smooth out the server and prevent mass desync/lockups.

Thanks cm. Our server the second it's unlocked gets spammed with connections. You can see people trying to spam connect even when it's locked. It fills up in the bottom left 'so and so uses Arma II such and such'

Before for example our screen looked like this

Agent uses Arma II blah blah blah

As a guy called Agent wouldn't stop spamming connect. This is in between everyone else trying. We unlock it and within seconds we've got 10 people incoming and we lock it again. The time in between unlock and lock is like 8-10 seconds. Server just cannot handle letting everybody in at the same time.

I get your concerns Cardiac' date=' some people just do not think properly. They see a server that is locked, with 6 - 10 people on it, and they automatically think the server is passworded, which it is not, with a selected group of players on it farming gear, which it is not.

All that's happened is that the first 10 who mashed their keys the fastest got in before it was relocked.

[/quote']

What about when a server stays locked for over an hour and the playercount never goes above 10?

You don't get it' date=' do you? You're not hosting a private server for your own enjoyment. You're letting the DayZ team use your server to host their game/mod. If you're doing something detrimental to the community, of course people will yell at you for it.

[/quote']

You're the one who doesn't get it. There is nothing detrimental being done here. As we've just shown, allowing everyone in at the same time is what is detrimental.

Complete nonsense. The server was locked with 6 people for bloody ages last night - if that was traffic management what were you waiting for to let the next six in? Hopefully, this now wont happen again. You should respect the spirit of the mod or else go and play a game where this nonsense doesnt matter.

To be honest I have seen a few servers locked with only 6 or 7 players on them, it's quite clear what they are doing if the server is locked for extended periods of time with only a handful of players on it. Regardless of the fact that people say they are "staging joiners" I sat in the server lobby for nearly an hour and numbers on the "locked" server did not increase.

I get your concerns Cardiac' date=' some people just do not think properly. They see a server that is locked, with 6 - 10 people on it, and they automatically think the server is passworded, which it is not, with a selected group of players on it farming gear, which it is not.

[/quote']

What about when a server stays locked for over an hour and the playercount never goes above 10?

You don't get it' date=' do you? You're not hosting a private server for your own enjoyment. You're letting the DayZ team use your server to host their game/mod. If you're doing something detrimental to the community, of course people will yell at you for it.

[/quote']

Complete nonsense. The server was locked with 6 people for bloody ages last night - if that was traffic management what were you waiting for to let the next six in? Hopefully, this now wont happen again. You should respect the spirit of the mod or else go and play a game where this nonsense doesnt matter.

If it ever happens and when it happens, tell a dev or Rocket. They will investigate it.

I like how you all keep banging on about just being the 6 of us, completely ignoring the fact that we cannot control who gets in an out, and when we unlock it and you hit join, you will get in. Instead you prefer to ignore that and think that we just joined ourselves somehow and didn't let anybody else in.

Randoms join the server at the same time we do before the server is locked. If there was anything suspicious being done, they'd have screamed here 'I'm on the FS server at the moment and they're doing such and such'