Sign in to follow this  
Windwalka1990

Moving steam to SSD

So I decided to pick up a SSD to see what it'd help with this game, but also it was about time to get one.

Last night I followed this guide to move steam to the SSD from my HD.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

And I thought it worked but didn't improve anything, but thought oh well I heard with some people it helps, others it doesn't at all..

Today however, I decide to try and improve some stuff in the config files n what not, and notice the steam folder is in both my SSD and my HD, and the most "up to date" modified files are all in my HD, and when I open task manager it says steam is playing from my C drive (which is my old HD)..

Anyone know whats up, or how I could do this again and make it work? I've never had two hard drives before sadly, but my goal is to have it on the SSD obviously..

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like its steam is still going to the default C drive, did you follow the steps properly for the new pathway i.e. (E:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\

Edited by Steak and Potatoes

tbh.. if you get an SSD.. you should put your C on it.. IE run windows from it... that is going to improve the performance a lot.. having an SSD only as an extra disk is a little pointless in my humble opinion..

As far as I know a lot of SSD's come with tools to do just that.

tbh.. if you get an SSD.. you should put your C on it.. IE run windows from it... that is going to improve the performance a lot.. having an SSD only as an extra disk is a little pointless in my humble opinion..

Right, but if you still have the original HD set to C it will continue to go there by default which is what I am trying to figure out based on information listed.  Did you set your BIOS up correctly?

^this

But it sounds like you forgot to change the steam directory, in steam it self.

Go to:

Steam -> settings -> Downloads -> click "steam library folders" & change your library path to the SSD library files, it should start auto updating all the games, after a restart.

Although i would suggest the same aproach as Recklezz84 ;)

Perhaps a complete format and reinstall of windows, after you backup your important files?

Then install windows and steam on the SSD, assuming its big enough to handle the games you want installed.

Im not sure theres a way to install steam on the HDD and then install and run DayZ from the SSD, might require some googling from your side OP hehe.

• Like 1

Yeah i didn't set it to be my C drive just because wouldn't I have to do a clean OS install and reformat that regular hard drive? 

Sorry for the slow replies, cant... stop... playing.... =P

2nd edit... Yeah I just didn't want to take the time to do a clean install =(

Edited by Windwalka1990

Also was that a restart of the steam client or the whole computer? (gunna do the clean install tomorrow)

Also was that a restart of the steam client or the whole computer? (gunna do the clean install tomorrow)

Byr is talking about a steam restart.  I would just configure your SSD to boot primary that way there are less issues in the long run.

Byr is talking about a steam restart.  I would just configure your SSD to boot primary that way there are less issues in the long run.

When I tried to boot from that it gave me the blue screen of death! lol

• Like 1

When I tried to boot from that it gave me the blue screen of death! lol

I have a feeling its going to be one of those days.

Make sure you run the SSD AHCI not IDE, double post sue me.

Edited by Steak and Potatoes
  • Like 1

Yeah it defaulted to ACHI  but it's weird in the steam settings it won't let me set the E drive to the default, I also have steam fully moved and installed on it but it won't register it's on there, even though it shows the amount left after it's on there...

Sorry if that's confusing lol 

EDIT: Basically I'm thinking it's best to uninstall steam and attempt to install it on the SSD as default, think that'll work? 

Edited by Windwalka1990

Yeah it defaulted to ACHI  but it's weird in the steam settings it won't let me set the E drive to the default, I also have steam fully moved and installed on it but it won't register it's on there, even though it shows the amount left after it's on there...

Sorry if that's confusing lol 

EDIT: Basically I'm thinking it's best to uninstall steam and attempt to install it on the SSD as default, think that'll work? 

Confusing, yes.  Try your basic resolution and report back.