Sign in to follow this  
Puredeath

Decals, Stencils, and Spray Paint

So to add more personalization to the game and as something that possibly utilizes the steam workshop, add in some new loot items as decals and stencils (as well as different spray paint colors).

Decals

-would be mostly created by the community and would have to be voted on by the community before being submitted to be approved by a staff member and then into the game as a loot item you could find.

-quality would affect more than just the look of the decal, seeing as a decal is just a sticker the lower the quality the decal it is the less likely it is to stick and stay sticked to what ever gear or vehicle it is attached to.

-the object's quality it is being applied to would also play a role in how well or at all if it will stick to the object

Stencils

-again a community designed loot

-when used with a can of spray paint on an object it will paint what ever pattern it is on the object in the color of spray paint you used

-stencil quality will affect the paint patterns cleanness and potentially if there is over spray or not

-the quality of the spray can will affect overspray, paint drips (or running paint), and the how splochy it looks (ie. Some parts have to much paint and run, other parts don't have enough and under color shows through)

Spray Paint

- It would be nice to have the basic color pallette (red, orange, yellow, green(a different green that's in game), blue, purple, white and gray) to start off with, with the ability to mix colors or layer colors on items (ie.add a layer of white then a layer or 2 of red to get a pinkish color)

This could be useful for helping further personalize your gear, get your mind off something other than the fact your family just turned into zombies and you had to kill them (and watch them die again), and to allow groups to make it more reconizible that they are a group.

Some Ideas for both stencils and decals I can think of of the top of my head include

- A Red cross (like for medic) (I'm imagining getting a helicopter and painting a red cross on the side, or even ballistic helmet to show that you are someone who will hopefully try and heal any injuries you have)

- skull and cross bones (nothing says bandit or don't f* with me like I a skull and crossbones painted on your stuff)

- maybe some Russian symbols and text

- military style lettering (just stencils) (and people are already going to do immiture things anyway this way we know to kos the guy with penis written on the side of what ever he has) but I was mainly thinking like clan tags and such

- Nation symbols like UN, idk US star, ect.

- Can of beans (probably just a decal)

- flames (because who doesnt want to ride a bicycle with flames on it while holding a m4 (or better yet a m4 with flames))

This is mainly a rough idea I had it would be great to hear what people think

• Like 1

Spray Paint

- It would be nice to have the basic color pallette (red, orange, yellow, green(a different green that's in game), blue, purple, white and gray) to start off with, with the ability to mix colors or layer colors on items (ie.add a layer of white then a layer or 2 of red to get a pinkish color)

This could be useful for helping further personalize your gear, get your mind off something other than the fact your family just turned into zombies and you had to kill them (and watch them die again), and to allow groups to make it more reconizible that they are a group.

not to rip the rest ... I was just thinking this same thing about the color. 

the lack of simple color to the spay paint is kinda a bummer.

blue red yellow can do so much.

EDIT-   I like to edit

Edited by SmokedUpJoe

I considered saying RBY first but alot of people will not want to have to apply 5-6 coats to get a color they want that looks good (remember each use is 25% and if the can isn't pristine there will be some dripping or splochyness) and white would be need to be included.

To sum up bare min Red, Blue, Yellow, White added in. For starters

I think it could be supported by setObjectTextureGlobal , better if hardcoded.
However it can only work on rare objects that have a selection planned for that use (a squared empty frame at a specific location which display default texture but could be overlayed with a custom one).

It may work on vehicles (large selection), but cannot mix colors.

So they would have to add in some new classes? And rework how textures and painting is handled now? (Idk what language they are writing it in and haven't looked at the code)

I like the idea of varied spray paint colors. Keep it simple with red, blue, yellow, and white for sure. Better yet, find a way to make it a "rural" loot. Something that only spawns outside of cities and military areas. That way, when you want to get your Crips and Bloods decked out, you have to leave your hunting grounds first.

Would you guys still prefer to have all this if it meant number of zombies has to be reduced, for the game to run efficiently.

To the person who started this thread, im not having a go at you, as a matter of fact i like your idea, but is it something we need in a survival game. The more things to do the better, but would you still want it if it meant certain number of zombies had to be taken out?

Edited by ld-airgrafix

I can see the effectiveness of decals. I for one think that as the major features finnally come into play and the major bugs are fixed, aesthetics should be a big part of the game. In DayZ I beleive the survivor is meant to be YOU. This game should be able to make YOU,well, YOU!

Would you guys still prefer to have all this if it meant number of zombies has to be reduced, for the game to run efficiently.

To the person who started this thread, im not having a go at you, as a matter of fact i like your idea, but is it something we need in a survival game. The more things to do the better, but would you still want it if it meant certain number of zombies had to be taken out?

I don't encounter zombies that often and they are hardly a issue when I do incounter them... Except for that one female zombie with speed hacks...

I'd say keep multi-colored spray paint, but leave the rest.

Instead of trading it for less zombies, I'd say trade it for silly gear that never gets used like pink boonie hats. You already have the option to paint weapons and helmets either green or black, all you'd have to do is add four more colors.