Sign in to follow this  
SamRIa

3 Mod / Map Ideas and some thoughts on rivers = My first post

I’ll start with my map ideas...3 sketches (iterations) of one idea that boils down to Southwestern US biomes (Minecraft anyone?) that offer counter-balancing resources and risks(PvE).

Sidenote: Each map is basically a collage of actual locations in the SE US. I think the terrain could be collaged together as well (im experimenting with this at the moment).

So….For example...lets say our biomes are; Riverside, Desert, Plains, Hill Country, Mountains

Riverside...the land of plenty (supplies and food). While weapons may be hard to find, you’ll find clothes and fuel (both human and machine) in towns that will provide you with the gear to venture out somewhat safely into the other biomes that offer what Riverside does not… and in less developed areas along the river (more on the river later) you’ll find game to hunt and cook. Non-lethal military supplies will be in this biome...like ammunition and repair kits.

Desert...the land of nothing….except danger. These stretches require a player to be equipped with survival gear and supplies to make it across these areas that act as barriers between 2 biomes of higher loot value. At night coyotes hunt you down (Survival Craft) and temperatures drop (slowing your progress and requiring you to consume more food). I’m also entertaining Dean Hall’s recent mention of accelerated time to play into this...

Plains...Think of this as the wild west….prairies with ranch houses here and there where the occasional weapon or vehicle (horses too?) can be found. With these structures being isolated they could present a good choice for a barricaded home (ref. Dean Hall’s latest update 3/28/14). The flatness of this area allows the player to see people come from a long way...it also means they can see you.

Hill Country...beyond the “barriers” of the Desert and Plains biomes the rolling Hill Country provides more valuable loot (weapons at military bases, food and gear in small towns) while also introducing more formidable predators that hunt in packs; wolves. These areas provide more cover and therefore also present themselves as viable places to “settle down” or just an area to ‘flank” around more wide open parts of the map.

Mountains….The mountains represent the most treacherous biome environment, but they are the guardians to the most valuable loot (including military vehicles). A player must have significant amounts of food and water (you grow hungry and thirsty often) and must be equipped with proper clothing  to make it across the ridge alive. Oh yeah...and there should be unreasonably aggressive bears. This region contains the “end game” gear and vehicles that everyone will eventually want...but will be forced to prepare/plan for in order to survive the journey.

Vehicles and military weapons acquired in the outlying biomes will be equipped with little or no fuel/ammunition. You will be forced to head back to the Riverside biome to fetch supplies. The idea here is that providing resources in one biome that is required for loot in another will keep people from staying in one part of the map. You are forced to trek across biomes to fill up for gas, or to find ammo for that sweet rifle you just picked up.

It’s important to me that the environment becomes more lethal in the future for SA and its mods. Zombies are great..(especially once they are fine tuned), but you can’t hide in a bush to get away from the cold, or travel outside towns to avoid predators like we do zombies...because thats where the wolves and bears live!

Before I complain (on my next topic)...I wanted to be clear that I’m entertaining the idea of working on a mod(and new map) for either Dayz SA or Arma 3. My expertise would mostly be in terrain-building and map making...if anyone is interested and has complimentary skillsets..let me know…

Ok..off to complaints (aka “suggestions”)…

Rivers….every forum I see about rivers in Dayz SA and Arma says they aren’t possible in the engine (uh..doesnt it use Physx? ) …and that the change of elevation most rivers encounter would not work with how water is currently “modeled” in these engines. (I think bodies of water are required to have a consistent water level)

You’ll notice in my maps that rivers are prominent features distributed across the world...thats because I imagine them as being “highways” for new spawns who want to move quickly across the map. Being able to make a raft so you can travel across the map faster would be awesome (thats the technical term). Also...it opens up banditing opportunities to snipe from bridges crossing the river.

Suggestion...Rivers can be effective with something as simple as applying force to a player. Minecraft has rivers...they are functional...they have “current”. They would be good enough. Apply a vector to players, vehicles, and NPC’s that enter a body of water (even if it appears to be stagnant water) and you’ll add a whole new world of possibilities in these games and we can live without the spectacle of a roaring river…

As an alternate...just spawn small boats along the rivers...boom

Elevation? Sure...ok maybe rivers can maintain their own “sea level” so that they can obey the rules...no problem. This is also something Minecraft does. Each body of water has its own sea level, it’s own altitude. 

If Minecraft can do it...surely they can get something to work right?

Disclaimer...I’m sure some things I said seem ridiculous to some people...sorry about that.

Also...I realize my maps aren’t islands and would therefore have to have a fence or something...no pretty natural boundary…...meh, im ok with that

This post was probably way too long…

Edited by SamRIa
  • Like 3

You SERIOUSLY need to put [   spoiler] [ / spoiler] code around those pictures so people with slower internet/bad data plans don't get fucked for trying to read this thread.

Let me just say, Nothing is ever wrong with a decent suggestion. But the Dev Team knows what they can do and already have an incredible roadmap. Yes they can do rivers with the engine that Standalone was built off of and yes they want it for environmental looks. Dean said so himself, cause running water sounds and looks cool. Also it will have physical properties so walking upstream should be slower than going down like in Skyrim for example.

Down the road a good ways I heard they want to make multiple maps, just for instance desert or tundra for more environmental difficulties. But that's not a 100% certainity.

Far as biomes go the way you talk about it tickles my insides a bit, cause its funny. But in all reality New Chernarus "technically" has "biomes. Farmlands/Fields, Foothills, Forests, Coastline, and Urban Zones. Those are all basically biomes distinct in there own way. Some have loot and others don't. Once animals exsist some will have more animals than others. Evident realism here, just don't mention biomes like you did just makes it sound silly yet most people can see the obvious logic behind the term.

Good wishing!

You SERIOUSLY need to put [   spoiler] [ / spoiler] code around those pictures so people with slower internet/bad data plans don't get fucked for trying to read this thread.

Sorry Brony, I'm kinda new at this (2 posts?). I actually don't have a clue how to use that code....

I managed to do it another way....thanks for the heads up

Let me just say, Nothing is ever wrong with a decent suggestion. But the Dev Team knows what they can do and already have an incredible roadmap. Yes they can do rivers with the engine that Standalone was built off of and yes they want it for environmental looks. Dean said so himself, cause running water sounds and looks cool. Also it will have physical properties so walking upstream should be slower than going down like in Skyrim for example.

Down the road a good ways I heard they want to make multiple maps, just for instance desert or tundra for more environmental difficulties. But that's not a 100% certainity.

Far as biomes go the way you talk about it tickles my insides a bit, cause its funny. But in all reality New Chernarus "technically" has "biomes. Farmlands/Fields, Foothills, Forests, Coastline, and Urban Zones. Those are all basically biomes distinct in there own way. Some have loot and others don't. Once animals exsist some will have more animals than others. Evident realism here, just don't mention biomes like you did just makes it sound silly yet most people can see the obvious logic behind the term.

Good wishing!

Thanks for the response..

I'm just thinking about map designs that force people to move across the map in a big way that facilitate interactions between migrating players not wanderers and campers......and maps that have altogether different and refreshing environmental challenges...sure..Chernarus has some...technically...I guess I'm hoping for more extremes...and I don't think that would hurt realism...the maps I made are about 250km^2

Also...I'm dreaming of Dayz in the Wild West...wouldnt that be cool?

the term "biomes" was used to get the idea across..

Sure...im probably just impatient so im dreaming of building my own....thats how i deal with anxiousness i guess!

Well the DayZMod map Takistan looks pretty similar to what you have up there in the images so it probably wouldn't be that out of the question if they decided to modify that map. So I've ran around in a desert environment and actually no I wouldn't enjoy that. Im from the far Northern Frontier, known as Alaska. The non Canada chunk of the Artic Circle <-- that's a joke but true. So id rather see ice cold, barren tunda, and steep rocky mountains.

That's my tastes. Yes I want more variety, yes I want new areas. We can agree on that idea.

And yes I understand the reasoning behind posting a recommendation and also having wishes.

Sorry Brony, I'm kinda new at this (2 posts?). I actually don't have a clue how to use that code....

I managed to do it another way....thanks for the heads up

I'm not a brony. And you're welcome.

I'm not a brony. And you're welcome.

I have been deceived D:  Unless you're a pegasister...  *testily sticks up a hoof*

Well the DayZMod map Takistan looks pretty similar to what you have up there in the images so it probably wouldn't be that out of the question if they decided to modify that map. So I've ran around in a desert environment and actually no I wouldn't enjoy that. Im from the far Northern Frontier, known as Alaska. The non Canada chunk of the Artic Circle <-- that's a joke but true. So id rather see ice cold, barren tunda, and steep rocky mountains.

That's my tastes. Yes I want more variety, yes I want new areas. We can agree on that idea.

And yes I understand the reasoning behind posting a recommendation and also having wishes.

Beautiful state.  My parent met and married there and brought me up there one summer, but I'll always be a Florida boy ;)  Tundra, I think, would be a logical and ideal alternative to desert.  There is little water, little vegetation, extreme temperatures, and all sorts of other threats.  Heck, if they added moose to the game, they wouldn't even need bears.  Those things would absorb enough bullets and kill enough people that adding bears would make the game unplayable xD

I have been deceived D:  Unless you're a pegasister...  *testily sticks up a hoof*

Neither

-snip-

Pakistan was probably my 2nd least favorite map (right behind Lingor, or whatever the crap tropical island one was) and I'm not interested in seeing a return of a desert map; even in ArmA 3 it's obvious how bad open, barren maps are.

Neither

Your avatar is a pegasus, and your name is a pony... but you are not a brony or a pegasister...  Will somepony please tell me what is going on here!?

Your avatar is a pegasus, and your name is a pony... but you are not a brony or a pegasister...  Will somepony please tell me what is going on here!?

APPLEJAXC IS NOT A PONY.

Completely unrelated.

If I was a brony, my pseudonym would be Rainbowdax or something related to the characters.

Actually... Technically Applejack IS a pony from MLP (I know I have a 6 yr old daughter)

Now the confusing part is that your icon is Rainbow Dash-ish (the nose is wrong)

ANywAyS... Anyone else have any other thoughts on more diverse environments one might encounter in future mod/maps?

Compliments on my photoshop skills (my maps) are welcome...