Sedated Dreamer

Do you ever feel guilty for shooting on site?

I avoid people whenever possible, because I can't trust them. I have killed two people, one was self defense, the other was fear.

Kill 1: Stary Sobor Military camp, was raiding the tents when two server hoppers spawned on hill and shot at me. I hid in a tent with an M4A3 CCO I had just found and waited to see what they would do. They started shooting zeds with their silenced weapons and then one approached the tent I was hiding in, makarov drawn and aimed. I kept saying I was friendly in side chat, but he didnt respond. When he rounded the corner, I dumped a mag into his chest, he shot me twice in the chest. His buddy DC'd. I felt bad but it was justified.

Kill 2: Climbed to top of Devils Castle, turned around to see a guy with ghilly suit and an M249 looking at me. I was so scared I dumped a mag into him without thinking. I actually lost sleep over that one.

I try not to shoot unless they shoot first.

1st kill was after a guy camping in one of those log cabin houses shot me with a lee einfeild after rounding the corner (no strafe through doors :(), which knocked me to the ground. On the ground I opened fired on him with my shotgun, hitting him with two blasts. He bled out shortly after but managed to kill me after I unloaded on him.

2nd really true kill was when I heard a guy running towards my friend and I in Elektro. I wasn't sure if he meant harm but I wasn't taking chances in Elektro, from a distance, I plugged him with two .45 revolver rounds. I'm fairly sure he was already injured. He ran off around the street corner, losing LOS, where my friend and I ran after him. Few seconds later I heard him next to the church where he was bleeding out. Put one in his head and looted the body for 2 bloodpacks, several bandages, and some morphine.

3rd kill happened directly after the 2nd. My friend walked in to the church to get some loot. I was a moment behind, still looting the body of #2. I round the corner into the main entrance of the chruch to see two players inside. One taking aim at the other while prone (obviously seeing him come inside but didn't get a shot off), the other one looting a pile of stuff in the back. Confused at first, I asked my friend over TS, "Shit! Which one are you?!" before my friend gets a chance to respond, the guy in the prone position turns to me and starts firing. Luckily, I'm halfway behind one of the pillars and he's a bad shot. Shit was wierd man, it felt so real as a shot of adreanaline kicked in trying to focus on his shots. I round the other side of the pillar and blast him with 4 revolver round, killing him. Friend loots the body and we get out of Elektro within 15 mins of spawning with exellent gear and supplies.

I've only killed 3 people within about 2 weeks of playing the game and two of those were yesterday. I've died quite a bit more, mostly to sniper fire. I'm all for PvP but snipers kind of piss me off. I found that snipers kill other players not because they need supplies, but mostly do it to establish they are awesome by killing players from 400m away. I'm pretty friendly, but usually with a group of people I know outside of the game who typically don't take chances with other players.

I only feel guilt depending on the loot. Like if it was complete newbie stuff, then I sometimes feel a little guilt.

No I don't shoot on sight.

Yes I've been killed a few times for it but that's how I'm playing the game.

I have noticed people are less likely to shoot on sight since the starting gun was removed.

nope. if i have the advantage i dont even hesitate. i only communicate if im backed in a corner.

case in point. i was in berezino east store and only had a 1911 as a weapon. i heard someone sneakin around the back of the store. i got into the front of the store and stayed in the corner to where i could see him come around the corner of the counter. he wasn't there to kill me because he coulda just shot from the front of the store and got me. so i said in direct comms 'i shoot on sight. fuck off or die.' no response. so when he came crouching around the counter i emptied a clip into his ghillie face.

I felt sorry for my first kill...terrible in fact. I was shaking in pain and had no painkillers. Came up on a guy defending himself against a couple zombies. He didn't see me. Shot him without thinking. He had painkillers...I used them but ended up getting hit by a zombie and started shaking again...

2-3 I think...didn't confirm the kills. I was at NWAF at night in the fire station tower. I had an AK. Was scanning the ground for movement. Saw someone with a chemlight and another person firing on them... They both were running across about 100 meters away. I fired on both of them fairly certain I killed them both. Didn't find their bodies though.

4th I was in Elecktro in the fire station tower. Just picked up an AK when I hear gunshots below me and zombies attacking someone. I look down from the top floor and see someone looting a pile with their back to me. I come back up, attempt to say I'm friendly over direct chat, but too late they come up and I cancel the chat. They fire once... I unload 5 rounds. I die... and soon after they die.

5th I was roaming the north with just a hatchet. Run across a girl just standing in a dirt road that can't see me. I type friendly over direct. She goes prone and starts acting strange. Her head nods forward and back and she turns side to side as I strafe side to side. She fires several times but misses. I couldn't tell if they were warning shots or not since I was moving back and forth. I move forward and get behind her and hack her to death, loot her body, and hide her corpse. Felt slightly bad for that one but easily pushed the guilt away. Haven't killed since.

Since my first kill I've since always tried to make contact before attacking. Especially with the new starting gear. I've made several friends on the coast who had no weapons and I had a hatchet. I've only had issues with people KoS when its in a tight situation like the top of that tower...I don't blame them for that.

I only feel guilt depending on the loot. Like if it was complete newbie stuff' date=' then I sometimes feel a little guilt.

[/quote']

thats not guilt. its disappointment because you didn't get anything good out of it.

Simple answer: Hell fucking no. As long as the person has a weapon in hand and I see them I will kill them. I'm am tired of having my time wasted on assholes who just wanna ruin my enjoyment. Anyone with no weapon in hand will be spared. Once the game changes and this is no longer necessary just to preserve the time you've put into it, then my strategy will change.

Ill say it again...people will not act friendlyor group up under most circumstances unless via TS or with a REWARD.

nope. if i have the advantage i dont even hesitate. i only communicate if im backed in a corner.

case in point. i was in berezino east store and only had a 1911 as a weapon. i heard someone sneakin around the back of the store. i got into the front of the store and stayed in the corner to where i could see him come around the corner of the counter. he wasn't there to kill me because he coulda just shot from the front of the store and got me. so i said in direct comms 'i shoot on sight. fuck off or die.' no response. so when he came crouching around the counter i emptied a clip into his ghillie face.

lol nice he had a ghillie

Ever since I've gotten shot in the back several times, the only guilt I feel now is the guilt of not shooting first.

It depends, you have to read the situation. When I was new, I murdered another fresh spawn, I felt sooo bad!

If I'm alone and dont have a lot to lose I try to be friendly. I will counter fire for sure.

Last night I was with a friend, he had a broken leg, so we were looking for Morphine. We get to the top of Green mnt. He asks if some one is around and can help, no response. We know some one is near by, we heard gun shots. My broken legged friend is near the front front gate asking for help. I looped around the fence and go to the backend of the camp and crawl through a small hole. I see a guy aiming at my friend, so I go full auto on him. He goes down.

I didnt feel bad about this, I feel since he didnt communicate with us and was aiming at a friend, I was justified in killing him.

Most of the time, I try not to shoot other players, I will lay and watch what the other player does and my actions result on what they do.

I've been shot, KoS, 3 times now. Enough to piss me off and turn me in to a killer? Not quite but it's not helping my general frustration with the mod.

Thankfully I've been playing Arma since release and play with a good group of guys, which has tempered my approach to trying to be freindly. However, I had one situation where I was in a bad way, in need of meds & food. I figured I was not long for the DayZ world when I spot a guy, follow him for a while, wait until I can get close enough to take a kill shot and empty my makarov into him.

Looted the body to find food, meds & ammo enough to get me back to a better state. Didn't feel guilty at first but then a little later wondered if a call for help might have got me what I needed?

That was maybe 2 weeks ago now and after the intervening sessions, my faith in humanity has dropped to a level where I seriously doubt I'd not do the same again in that situation, guilt free.

Example: I was at one of the fire stations in Elektro and I hear/saw a "survivor" having trouble with a group of zeds. I attempted to move into position to help while not attracting the attention of the zeds myself. During that time, he ran out of the fire station, zeds in tow and I was able to sneak into the back door. I assumed he would come back to the fire station at some point if he wasn't able to shake the zombies because it is a good place to defend yourself against multiple zombies. Sure enough, he came barreling back into the station so I opened up on the zombies with my AK. As I am killing the zombies, he shoots me in the back.

I can swear to you that this is the last time I will attempt to help anyone and the last time I see another ARMED survivor that I do not kill on sight. Previously, I would not shoot unless shot at first. Previously, I would attempt to group up. No more. Unfortunately, there are no in-game features that encourage teamwork, nor is it really needed to "survive". Unless there is a system in place that makes this necessary or at the minimum "encourages" it, I can guarantee that nothing will change. Shooting on sight will always be the best way to survive.

So far I've got one kill since I started playing 1 week ago, and I haven't felt any guilt for that.

I was on the roof of the Cherno hospital at that time when I heard shots not far away. I saw someone looting another survivor a couple of houses away from the hospital and I knew it was the player who fired.

I had my Lee Enfield and I knew the guy down there had to be a bandit, so I decided to avenge the dead survivor. Took me two shots right in his back and he was dead.

When I got down I noticed that the victim of the bandit was someone with starter gear so I knew I acted right, felt quite good for the kill then.

So far I always try to communicate, though sometimes I can't use the chat fast enough. One example was about an hour ago.

Just got into Cherno, close to the Fire Station when I heard shots coming from the Store. When I went to take a look I saw someone running towards the church with a pretty big group of zeds behind him, so I decided to take another route to the church and help him. Even though he had a group of zeds on his back and I was shooting them, he pointed his gun at me and just shot me down. Don't know if he got away, but he sure took a couple of hits from the zeds in the mean time, I'm not so sure about helping other people now anymore.

Unfortunately the internet allows coward ass pansies to act out in ways they would be to afraid to in real life and without consequence. This is exactly why an open sandbox games are not really as realistic as they claim to be and need some sort of mechanics that bring things back in line with the reality of the fiction that is being portrayed.