ielisuk@gmail.com

Remove The Screen Shake While In Pain.

I didn't say I wanted DayZ to be made less tolerable. You're not reading my post correctly. I said changing the shaking/pain mechanic to what has been suggested in this thread would make DayZ more tolerable. The shaking is there to simulate discomfort, if it was toned down, that discomfort would become less apparent.

As for the people who get motion sickness. Imagine your at the fair or an amusement park, if you walked up to the guy running the ride and asked him nicely if he could put the ride on the slowest setting, because my friend here gets sick on fast rides. What do you think would happen?

Your asking for everyone to sacrifice immersion, for a relatively low number of people with disabilities. I don't agree with that logic. If you can't play video games without getting sick, maybe don't play video games? Some people can't go on boats without getting sick. Some people can't go on long car rides. Some people can't handle stress. We all just deal with the hand we're dealt.

Saying stuff like "I don't think that a real life disadvantage or disability should play any part in whether anyone on this earth should be able to play DayZ." is extremely naive(or ignorant). What if my mentally retarded half cousin wanted to play DayZ but doesn't understand the zeds aren't friendly? Should we change the game for him?

The DayZ community: Not caring about motion-sickness since 2012!

Saying stuff like "I don't think that a real life disadvantage or disability should play any part in whether anyone on this earth should be able to play DayZ." is extremely naive(or ignorant). What if my mentally retarded half cousin wanted to play DayZ but doesn't understand the zeds aren't friendly? Should we change the game for him?

Yes' date=' because Rocket has already decided he has no quarrels with catering to those with real-life disabilities on one issue. So unless you have a solid reason as to why he should help one small part of his player-base that is effected by a disability and not another, I think your point is void.

I agree with this. It's obviously an incredible level of realism because it makes you feel actual discomfort, but it's too much. I don't get seasick, per se, but I start to get a headache behind my eyes very quickly because they constantly lose and regain focus on the screen.

I will generally log out until a friend can offer painkillers.

@bad_mojo

I don't see how the screen shaking simulates discomfort to someone who isn't physically affected by it. Or how it simulates it more accurately than having just your hands shake.

Like I and others have said, you don't jiggle your head around permanently when you get a bruise in real life, so why should you in the game?

Your analogies are a bit generalised and overblown. A person who suffers motion sickness can't enjoy 100% of an amusement park ride. I can play DayZ 99% of the time with no issue. I got caught with my pants down once with no painkillers on me, but I should stop playing the game entirely just in case it ever happens again? Doesn't make sense to me.

And you can say I'm naive or ignorant if you like, but i'm a firm supporter of gamers being able to play games no matter what their disability or disadvantage and charities like Ablegamers that enable that to happen. Everyone has the right to enjoy video games, not just the able bodied or mentally sound.

I'm not going to drag the thread down to a political discussion about the rights of gamers however. The topic at hand has nothing to do with the subject, as i'm lucky enough to just suffer from some minor discomfort. I can play through it, but i'd rather not have to.

The bottom line is that to me the screen shake is OTT and to you it is absolutely tantamount to a good experience, so we'll never agree on the subject. I will agree to disagree with you. We'll only go around in circles.

Tweaking the HUD to allow color blind people to use it better is not similar to changing a visual effect because people don't like looking at it. Fact is, that shaking effect was put in place entirely because it's unpleasant to look at for any extended period of time. I myself might even get a headache or feel sick after looking at it for too long, but I don't know yet because I don't like to put my character into a position where I don't have an ample supply of painkillers.

If I found myself in a position where I had no pain killers and the shaking was becoming unbearable, I'd simply hit the respawn button. I wouldn't come on here and suggest the game be changed so I wouldn't get a headache or feel sick.

People here are acting like having no painkillers and seeing the shaking is a huge important part of this game. It's not.

Tweaking the HUD to allow color blind people to use it better is not similar to changing a visual effect because people don't like looking at it.

I stopped reading after this sentence entirely.

I don't think you understand the argument here at all. It's not that they don't like looking at it. They can't look at it. It makes them physically ill. I'll refer back to this post for why your argument is null and void.

I am fully aware of people feeling sick from motion on their screen.

Shaking the screen is just about the most basic thing a video game could do to disorient a player. If you can't handle looking at a shaking screen on very rare occasions, a game like DayZ that tries to scare disorient and horrify the player using visual effects might not be suitable for you.

If I had seizures every time I saw flashing lights, I wouldn't play video games that had flashing lights and suggest they remove the flashing.

A colorblind friendly HUD removes nothing from the non-colorblind players in the game. If you can't realize how that is different than changing the shaking effect, then I feel sorry for you.

Shaking the screen is just about the most basic thing a video game could do to disorient a player. If you can't handle looking at a shaking screen on very rare occasions' date=' a game like DayZ that tries to scare disorient and horrify the player using visual effects might not be suitable for you.

[/quote']

DayZ does not scare, disorient, nor horrify people using visual effects. Never once have I ever seen a visual effect in game other than the green hue of night-vision, and the shaking of the screen when you are in pain. If you can give me some other visual effects, or better yet, ones that specifically 'scare, disorient, and horrify' players, I might think this a valid argument.

(QUICK EDIT: I also just thought of the lack of color and blur that comes with a low blood level. I can possibly understand how this might cause some disorientation or fear in a player, but as it stands, that doesn't impare any single player more than any other player.)

A colorblind friendly HUD removes nothing from the non-colorblind players in the game. If you can't realize how that is different than changing the shaking effect' date=' then I feel sorry for you.

[/quote']

And to contrast this example, why don't we pull a suggestion that was made in this very thread, shall we?

The shaking of your hands still reduces accuracy, which is pretty much the reason pain is even in the game. (Due to the fact that the screen doesn't shake in 3rd person.) As it stands, if you remove the shaking effect on the eyes (which, in all my years, I've never been in enough pain that could be cured by a bottle of painkillers, that I shook so furiously that it distorted my vision) and instead only apply it to the crosshair and ADSing, you are given the exact same effect. Now, both parties (those with motion sickness and those without) are at a disadvantage, but those without motion sickness have nothing that is realistic removed from their game.

People here are acting like having no painkillers and seeing the shaking is a huge important part of this game. It's not.

100% agree. So why not change it? You're going back on yourself, you've been saying up until now that it's important enough to keep at the expense of a minority of players physical comfort!

I get your arguement that it's an immersive element, but this is the ONLY game i've felt sick while playing.

Amnesia the dark decent is full of weird visual effects to disorientate and make the player feel uncomfortable, and they don't make me feel sick because the screen isn't moving without the players input. It's just blurring around the edges and changing depth of field.

Something similar to that would suffice as a replacement. I just want anything else that doesn't = screen movement without my input. That's what causes motion sickness. There are loads of compromises that could be made and I'd probably accept them all, I just don't think poopooing the idea completely is constructive.

Im sure there is a very simple adaptation that could be implemented that would satisfy everyone and not make it an issue at all. Keeping an open mind is important, this is Alpha after all, the time where things are tried and tested to see if they work or not. If a bunch of things were tried to fix the issue and make everyone happy but it was found that everyone wanted the original screen shake. I'd deal with it.

But i'd like to think the majority of people would be open minded enough to at least try something different.

The whole game is made of visuals. The darkness, the lighting, the zombies, passing out, it's all a very visual experience. Perhaps I should have just said "visuals" instead of "visual effects". Anyway, my point was that the screen shaking serves a purpose of disorientation. Weather or not your view shaking around is realistic matters very little, there is only so much a game can do to a player, you can't actually inflict realistic pain on a player, so the realism argument isn't going to get us anywhere when dealing with this specific topic.

You assume that Rocket intends this pain effect to cause decreased accuracy and nothing else. So why does the screen shake? There are other ways to reduce accuracy without shaking the screen.

As for the suggestion of just shaking the hands, well that's going to make painkillers less essential, I could tolerate shaking hands on my screen with reduced accuracy until I find some pain killers. I cannot tolerate my whole screen shaking, so I always have painkillers.

Rocket wants you to avoid getting hurt and value pain killers. Reducing the harshness of pain so it's tolerable is going against his (I'm just assuming here) intentions.

well, keep the weapon shaking, but few head shakes here and there? You know - these moments when pain comes and goes for a while. That'd be more realistic than a guy with vibrator in his mouth?

+1 to idea, if this actually affects future game in any way :)

+1 to this. I don't have a problem with this but people with motion sickness should be able to play the game without getting ill.

I agree, my screen is shaking now and I'm feeling physically ill.

Anyone hating on the OP's suggestion because they're too hardcore for his ideals is an idiot. Not only would his change make it so people vulnerable to motion sickness wouldn't become violently ill just by playing the damn game it would also make it so you cant negate the affects of needing painkillers just by going into third person.

Use your goddamn brains haters.

+1

Like it and makes sense.