Sign in to follow this  
fart11eleven

Crossbow Suggestions - new item/more

Hi,

i am not aware if this was already posted, but what i am certainly aware off is the complaining about the amount of item slots a bolt takes up in your inventory. As the crossbow is also fairly underpowered and hard to use, people will always choose it over e.g. a shotgun or a lee enfield. So i have a couple of suggestions to solve the problem that:

a) the weapon is too weak

b) the amount of item slots a crossbow bolt takes

The simple solution for 'a) the weapon is too weak' is of course to make a hit reduce more health. There are no cons against this, except that the weapon is silent, and so it should not reduce too much health. However at current state the amount of reduction for a hit is too less. Also it is very hard to use the crossbow (without iron sight, which is perfectly fine that we don't have iron sight for it), so it should be a bit more rewarding. E.g. when it takes up 3 shots in the body to kill a human, it should take up 2.

As for b). This is probably the most considerable reason for people not using it that often. It simply eats up your inventory. Therefore i would find it cool to see it overlap; 1 slot = 2 crossbows bolts would already be enough and probably even the best. However i have a little gimmicky suggestion to this: why not introduce a "container-bolt" item especially for the crossbow bolts. Here a picture to illustrate => http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/images/B001DARMO8/ref=dp_image_0/279-3592481-8917201?ie=UTF8&n=16435051&s=sports It would really pwn in my eyes :D So if you have this container item, you can put maybe 2 - 5 crossbow bolts in it and be perfectly fine with one slot.

So to summarize: i think the weapon is too weak and needs to be better managable concerning the amount of slots the crossbow bolts take up. My suggestions have been posted in a) and b).

P.S. please if anybody has contact to Rocket (i doubt he can read every post here in this forum) tell him and try to convince him to put at least the item in, so that crossbow user have moa fun at least ^^

Cheers

-fart

I feel the crossbow has been shunned out of the picture by the Melee hatchet.

I agree, the bolts should stack (to a maximum of 5). When i used a crossbow (before discovering the power of Sharpie aka the hatchet) i actually really liked it, it's quite satisfying watching the bolt piece the zombie skull and end up looking like the comedy arrow hats you get at Halloween. And it's a 1 shot kill, no matter where you hit the Zeds. So i don't feel its too underpowered at all.

Yes, it takes a great deal more skill to use one accurately, but this shouldn't warrant giving it a "buff" to damage. I've taken a player out with 1 both on multiple occasions, but this isn't what the crossbow was intended for imo. It was more intended for clearing out a town, silently with reusable ammo. Now the hatchet is king of that field, it kinda makes the crossbow useless.

As for the damage buff. I am not sure, but i once needed 3 shots to the body to kill someone. Luckily the first shot knocked the guy (who was hunting me) out.

Also a nice experience is when the bolts sometimes do not hit although properly aimed. Instead they seem to have been hit an invisible target infront of the real target. At the end the crossbow bolt was stuck, hanging in the air, and i could even loot it from there. But this probably belongs to the bug reports section.

Still i think it is a bit underpowered concerning PvP action. And at some point, if you really like the crossbow and prefer it over other weapons, i kinda want it to be more effective (and not just 3 shots to the body and hope that the guy knocks out).

damage buff to humans should take place as a GIANT increase to blood loss, but no, not direct "stopping" damage.

it should work that if you hit someone in the brains they die, but if you hit them in the chest, they can still come at you and harm you, but only for a short period of time.

I'd honestly love to see the crossbow used more, it's a great weapon more bolts more love. The heavier bleeding which Vultcha suggested, i could work with for PVP. It doesnt give it this unstoppable force power. But it would make the person you were fighting off have to make the decision of bandage NOW or die.

Actually yes. With heavier bleeding i would be perfectly fine. It does not make the weapon too overpowered, because a huge advantage is already that the weapon is silent. So too much firepower would not balance out that well. The bleeding aspect adds up kinda nicely to that.

How about, you get hit by a bolt you start bleeding, then you will have to pull out the bolt before bandaging *remove bolt anim*, at which point the bleed will slightly increase and you'll have to bandage quickly or lose a lot of blood.

Should make crossbow more effective in pvp while not actually buff them too much. Imagine getting hit by a silent enemy and see an arrow icon on the right of the screen ( similar to the broken legs or shock ) meaning you have to find a safe place to pull it out and bandage ( which takes more time ) while that enemy is reloading and aiming for the next shot.

The cumulative bolt quiver wont work with the current magazine system

They just need to nerf the hatchet quite a bit, and give the crossbow the boost it always deserved.

in my opinion, at least.

If you could one hit kill a zombie (bodyshot) with it i would always carry one.

If you could one hit kill a zombie (bodyshot) with it i would always carry one.

A boost doesn't necessarily mean damage increase.

I think ironsights that are actually half way on mark would make the crossbow alot more useful for alot of people.

But as long as the hatchet, which has unlimited ammo, is just as silent and kills in one hit, remains as it is, the crossbow, or any other weapon for that matter, will be almost useless in zombie defence.

How about' date=' you get hit by a bolt you start bleeding, then you will have to pull out the bolt before bandaging *remove bolt anim*, at which point the bleed will slightly increase and you'll have to bandage quickly or lose a lot of blood.

Should make crossbow more effective in pvp while not actually buff them too much. Imagine getting hit by a silent enemy and see an arrow icon on the right of the screen ( similar to the broken legs or shock ) meaning you have to find a safe place to pull it out and bandage ( which takes more time ) while that enemy is reloading and aiming for the next shot.

The cumulative bolt quiver wont work with the current magazine system

[/quote']

I like this idea. That you need to remove the bolt before bandaging. Also having stacks of 5 bolts would be very nice for space saving. OHKO zombies would also help, but giving a crossbow too much of a buff doesnt seem smart. At the very least i can agree that it either needs some buffs, or needs to be removed.

I feel the crossbow has been shunned out of the picture by the Melee hatchet.

I agree' date=' the bolts should stack (to a maximum of 5). When i used a crossbow (before discovering the power of Sharpie aka the hatchet) i actually really liked it, it's quite satisfying watching the bolt piece the zombie skull and end up looking like the comedy arrow hats you get at Halloween. And it's a 1 shot kill, no matter where you hit the Zeds. So i don't feel its too underpowered at all.

Yes, it takes a great deal more skill to use one accurately, but this shouldn't warrant giving it a "buff" to damage. I've taken a player out with 1 both on multiple occasions, but this isn't what the crossbow was intended for imo. It was more intended for clearing out a town, silently with reusable ammo. Now the hatchet is king of that field, it kinda makes the crossbow useless.

[/quote']

I don't know what hatchet your using but the one I have is buggy and unresponsive I can slap a zombie in the face 12 times and not even kill it while the zombie breaks my leg and bleeds me out and other times it will one shot all comers ...melee is hardly dependable in the current build...

The crossbow bolts also have a tendancy to be lost in zombies bodies and not be collectable even if you use hide body as suggested in the day z wiki

The crossbow needs some minor adjusting and bolts should stack 10-20 or have a quiver item in game and it would make more sense if there were multiple bolt use items seeing how stealth is such an integral part of game mechanics sd weapons are far too rare....

I myself have been using the crossbow as my primary weapon for some time now. It's fun and adds more challege to the game. I agree completeley with all of the suggestions you've made. Would definitely improve the usefulness of the crossbow. Also, I think that when you shoot a zombie and score a kill, you should be able to loot the bolt from the zombie, and not have to actually find the crossbow bolt and pull it out. I've lost lots of bolts because of glitched zombies falling through stairs or just consuming the bolt all together. In Oblivion and Skyrim when you shoot something with an arrow, you can just loot the arrow back just like normal items.

I myself have been using the crossbow as my primary weapon for some time now. It's fun and adds more challege to the game. I agree completeley with all of the suggestions you've made. Would definitely improve the usefulness of the crossbow. Also' date=' I think that when you shoot a zombie and score a kill, you should be able to loot the bolt from the zombie, and not have to actually find the crossbow bolt and pull it out. I've lost lots of bolts because of glitched zombies falling through stairs or just consuming the bolt all together. In Oblivion and Skyrim when you shoot something with an arrow, you can just loot the arrow back just like normal items.

[/quote']

the only issue with this is when a player is hit with the bolt. It'd have to be added to their inventory, and thus knock out/delete a inventory item or not be added at all.