Mr Muggles

So many damn veteran servers!?!?

I dont care for veteran servers as long as they have 3P on. This game IS NOT PVP only, zeds have inhuman sense abilities so you have to have 3P. If this game was PvP only then I would vote for no 3P too.

Veteran=No CH or 3P(except on some servers) which makes for much more realistic experience and are usually the servers i play on.

Regular=Allows you to see players name on your aim even through walls' date=' tells you the range and allows you to switch to 3P which i dislike. Only time i play on regular servers is when i have CZ550 because that weapon is completely useless on veteran servers.

[/quote']

Useless? How come? You just don't know how to use it.

I don't think you HAVE to have 3P, especially if you're using headphones. For me, though, I simply prefer a 3rd person view. I like having peripheral vision and, since I don't use TrackIR, 3P allows me to do this. I can cover a wider angle of view quicker which I believe is a more accurate model of eye movement. The downside is that it allows people to look around walls or above cover.

The downside is that it allows people to look around walls or above cover.

That is a VERY big downside in a PVP environment.

That is a VERY big downside in a PVP environment.

Agreed. At the least, however, it works both ways (just as not being able to look around corners, above cover, etc. would work for and against you). Despite my preference for it, 3P probably shouldn't be in DayZ since Rocket is going for a relatively high amount of realism. It would also mean that people couldn't hide behind a tree and watch a town without much fear of being spotted. I'm all for that. Knowledge is power and nothing is free.

Weird' date=' it's been perfectly accurate up to 500 meters for me (my longest shot, no actual data past that, although it should be fine up to 800+). I'd rather have an easily changeable zero than calculate mil-dottage on a DMR. To each their own, I suppose.

[/quote']

Without reg server range finders, mil-dots are the best way for estimating range accurately. There's a post on reddit regarding this, I believe. Target height x 1000 divided by the number of mildots it occupies for the range in meters. All humans in DayZ are 1.8m high.

Zeroing your scope is essentially just picking one of the mil-dots, since it only goes in increments of 100m; it's the same thing. The only downside is 800m range when others can go up to 1200m. I've never had to shoot that far, though.

Personally, its much easier for me to gauge range and adjust the zero of the gun accordingly than attempt to correctly gauge the correct mil-dot. Mil-dot's aren't in increments of 100, they're some strange exponential/log formula that scales with distance. The first mil-dot is something like 100~, the next is like 330~, etc. Targets at range are generally never standing up, they're either crouched or prone behind cover. Much harder to figure out the ratio, at least for me. For guns like the AS50/CZ, the zero-ing is essential to my success.

But that's just me. This preference makes the CZ550 preferrable to a DMR.

I've played in many REGULAR severs that didn't have name tags enabled and played in a few Vet servers with 3rd person enabled, and lets not start the 1st person realism discussion, you see less of your surroundings in 1st person then in real life so its not about realism but about difficulty and PERSONAL preference, cant we all just respect each other and play the game?

Nametags in this game is as good as cheating in my book. Its so easy to use it to find someone before you even see them.

It gives me the creeps. Outmanned, outgunned and bleeding? Ok. But nametags. Frak no, never!

It would also mean that people couldn't hide behind a tree and watch a town without much fear of being spotted. I'm all for that. Knowledge is power and nothing is free.

Very well put sir.. I totally agree.. too many of the people saying 3rd should stay only want it because they can use it as you described.

Nothing the say about it can remove the fact its used like that when used in pvp.

I've played in many REGULAR severs that didn't have name tags enabled and played in a few Vet servers with 3rd person enabled' date=' and lets not start the 1st person realism discussion, you see less of your surroundings in 1st person then in real life so its not about realism but about difficulty and PERSONAL preference, cant we all just respect each other and play the game?

[/quote']

Can we all please stop trying to emberass ourselves by showing that we have no clue about the .cfg files and possibilities of ArmA?

I'm for a unified experience across all DayZ servers. Maybe 3P on' date=' CH off, everything else off.

[/quote']

Problem is people wont agree on settings.

Of course everyone has a difference preference, what I am trying to say is that with so many servers having different variable enabled or disabled, the game experience can differ quite a lot, coming close to cheating or being very hard for people new to the game.

I do not want players to vote on what they want, By unified experience I mean that Rocket / Dev Team decide how players of this mod are supposed to experience the game and that all servers use the same ruleset.

I understand all of the setting having a toggle option except name tags.

It's not knowing names that bothers me, it's the range, and how far they work.

When I first started playing, I cruised past an afk player, and could see that I was about 20m from him.

Even with intervening terrain and having run quite far, I think I could STILL find him at 400+ meters.

Not only does it let me find people when I shouldn't (Why don't we just have giant name tags over our heads, like MMOs, then??), but it also helps tremendously with snipers (I love when bad azz snipers post their "I'm so bad azz" videos with ranges on).

Nametags in this game is as good as cheating in my book. Its so easy to use it to find someone before you even see them.

So is 3rd person view imo. "Oh noes I'm getting shot at by a guy on the hill in Stary Sobor, lets run in the doorway of a tent, bandage myself while turning on 3rd person... ah, there he is..."

I did that the other day to kill a player, he'd have killed me if there was no 3rd person. I've also lay prone on top of buildings and used 3rd person to see all around me to kill unsuspecting players. It's cheap, but I do it because my friends chose that server for the day and I'm at a huge disadvantage if I don't use it.

The game does feel a lot smoother in 3rd person though.

Weird' date=' it's been perfectly accurate up to 500 meters for me (my longest shot, no actual data past that, although it should be fine up to 800+). I'd rather have an easily changeable zero than calculate mil-dottage on a DMR. To each their own, I suppose.

[/quote']

Without reg server range finders, mil-dots are the best way for estimating range accurately. There's a post on reddit regarding this, I believe. Target height x 1000 divided by the number of mildots it occupies for the range in meters. All humans in DayZ are 1.8m high.

Zeroing your scope is essentially just picking one of the mil-dots, since it only goes in increments of 100m; it's the same thing. The only downside is 800m range when others can go up to 1200m. I've never had to shoot that far, though.

Personally, its much easier for me to gauge range and adjust the zero of the gun accordingly than attempt to correctly gauge the correct mil-dot. Mil-dot's aren't in increments of 100, they're some strange exponential/log formula that scales with distance. The first mil-dot is something like 100~, the next is like 330~, etc. Targets at range are generally never standing up, they're either crouched or prone behind cover. Much harder to figure out the ratio, at least for me. For guns like the AS50/CZ, the zero-ing is essential to my success.

But that's just me. This preference makes the CZ550 preferrable to a DMR.

You, sir, need to get your hands on the SVD rifle. Built in range finder for both, standing and prone personnel :)

As for OP... Your statement has as much fallacy in it as the posts that follow. By attacking with no merit, you are inviting the attacks on your post/character.

To each his own, you hate those presets, others think the general veteran ones dont go far enough. Unless you get your own server, i would suggest compiling a list of servers with settings you like, and sticking to them.

This game is best when there is immersion. Dumbing it down removes any realism from it. Play on veteran, be interested in your toon, and his/her life. Play first-person. Over time You'll find you enjoy it much more.

I would agree. Best immersion is with 3rd=off. But it also creeps me the fuck out to be honest. I had multiple moments where I went like "OMFGHOWTHEFUCKDIDYOUENDUPHERE" and nearly had a heart attack.

Is there something like "Field of View" in arma where I can up what I see a bit?

I often see more regular servers than vet servers, here at US West. I prefer vet servers.

When I have crud/no gear I play regular because heck I don't have anything to lose.

When I've got better gear I head to the veteran servers. I feel much safer knowing that people arent able to see my tag from a mile away or able to see me over and around walls.

Servers I use have 3rd person on, have to. Can live without CH and as for nametags I think I have seen them once on a server. I repeat that it's all very well having played the game for months and your sitting there stroking your massive e-cocks with all the guns and loot you have but for noobs the learning curve is horrendous, then you've got other players killing each other and glorified in name only, bandits. I hate those guys they make me sick.

If some 14yr old keyboard warrior fires at you then by all means defend yourself. I was sniped within 30 minutes on teh coast ffs and I was unarmed ha ha..pathetic.

About 6 of us were leaving Electro having spent 3 to 4 hours getting organised then some git starts firing at us out of nowhere. We didn't know who to shoot back at because...yep you guessed it........there is no definable way to tell who is who in a split second WHICH, tags would aid with.

Not everyone has to have a tag but certainly the group you are playing with should have tags enabled so when it gets messy you can identify who is who. Why is this such a bad idea? Your group should be clearly identifiable at all times if at all possible in comparison to all the other players.

Yours sincerely

Carebear

I usually play on regular servers, and often play in 3rd person.

BUT... I can live without 3rd person, and I don't like nametags.... what I HATE is playing without cross hairs. Reason I hate it is, if I get aggro'd by a zed, and they are right in my face, having to use iron-sights is extremely aggravating... the target is so close, and jumping/sliding all over the place, then add in the zoom associated with iron-sights, and it's like sitting 5 feet from a TV looking through binoculars trying to make heads or tails of what your seeing.

I usually play on regular servers' date=' and often play in 3rd person.

BUT... I can live without 3rd person, ad I don't like nametags.... what I HATE is playing without cross hairs. Reason I hate it is, if I get aggro'd by a zed, and they are right in my face, having to use iron-sights is extremely aggravating... the target is so close, and jumping/sliding all over the place, then add in the zoom associated with iron-sights, and it's like sitting 5 feet from a TV looking through binoculars trying to make heads or tails of what your seeing.

[/quote']

i only play 1st person, ive never had issues with it.

The only difference I have noticed between recruit/regular and veteran, is that in recruit and regular servers, you have third person cross hairs, and name tags are on -- which means simply run your cursor over the hills in front of you, and suddenly player name tags will pop up. Once the name tag is up and they are in range of your weapon, regardless of whether you can see them or not, shoot a few rounds for an easy kill. There is no where to hide, camouflage is useless.

On Veteran, sometimes there is no 3rd person cross hair, forcing iron sighting, and there are no name tags. So ... camouflage actually works, and they actually have to aim to shoot you. Makes sense eh? Using the weapon's sights certainly increases the difficulty.

Any of the expert, hardcore are usually distasteful to me, forcing first person. Even with a field of few of 90+ it's still like running around with a bucket on your head which is highly obnoxious. Even though you can see your character in third person, your field of view is a lot more life like.... except for the fact you can see around corners (LoL).

Anyhow, I believe if you understand how vulnerable you are in a recruit/regular server due to the name tags, you wouldn't play there (provided you have a 5+ day survivor). If you die all the time to zombies anyways it really doesn't matter.

To me, the highest threat DayZ has to offer is other players, and if they can see my name tag even though they can't actually see me, there is a serious problem there.

I'd prefer a server with just crosshairs on. Only options are Regular with crosshairs and nametags, or Veteran with no crosshairs and nametags off.

11 Years ago I would have agreed about the use of 3rd in the arma series.

Alas Ive played too much since then to see any real reason to use 3rd except for the cheat part of having a camera float over your shoulder and walls.

Trying to say that your FOV is too narrow is a poor excuse.

The arma series offers the look option which enables you to turn your head to look around. using this correctly added with the peripheral helpers

leaves no reason AT ALL to have 3rd on. Except to exploit.

I'm fine with any server settings as long as there's no nametags. I like the crosshair and third person, because they help make up for the fact that it's a game (which hinders the senses you'd have in real life), but I can live without them.