carbine781 (DayZ)

Ideas and real life factors that could make DayZ more realistic (which could prevent shooting on sight in the long run)

Headshots - 1 to 2 shot kill, depending on the firearm you are using. .22s will need more than one shot to kill a zombie. Axes should kill in 1 hit for headshots, as well as any other good melee weapon (Farming Hoe, Pitchfork maybe) Baseball bats are interesting. I want them to be stronger, I'd say 3-5 hits would be fine for the bat.

No matter what firearm you're using, I feel like it should at the very least knock you out. I think it'd be cool if you could insta-knock out someone without headgear with one hit to the head with a blunt melee weapon :D

I disagree. Kind off.

I remember in the mod when I was in a very small town looting, I fired ONE lee enfield shot and I had zombies running at me from everywhere! I was panicking, running away shooting, I had about 30 bullets at the time and it wasn't enough!

Zombies then where fast, dangerous and most importantly, respawning. 20 zombies in a small town will seem like 100 if they respawn.

100 zombies would be more than enough in cherno. I would like if respawning was explained by zombies climbing out the windows of non-enterable buildings but I know ARMA so it's either not possible or would take a lot of work. I would do it by having little rooms inside the buildings just big enough for a zombie when a zombie spawns it could either climb/fall out or if someone is firing or running near by they could jump out. imagine running through cherno while zombies are jumping out the buildings all around you!

So I agree, but I think they should still be fast and easy to kill but dangerous in numbers. I also don't think you need as many as suggested here. I'd rather make as few zombies as dangerous as possible and then start adding more just to see how many servers/PCs can handle, then tweak the zombies damage/health

Edit: also, I wish everyone would stop stressing about KOS. The devs will deal with it, don't worry.

Edited by Agentstapler

I don't understand what the problem is with Kill On Sight.

I do it sometimes and i frankly don't give a single damn.

Its a survival game.  What? You expect me to walk up and shake your hand every single time?  Or warn you saying "IM IN FEAR FOR MY LIFE, STAY BACK OR ILL SHOOT" every time?, no ill just put you on the ground 85% of the time.

The players are supposed to be living the life of their character in this game in their own way without the influence of rules because some people cry about losing all of the hard earned military loot they spent days searching for.

I say get the hell over it.  The game is supposed to be dark in some aspects.  Let people make their own choice.

• Like 1

Zombie hordes would be a good idea but right now........ FUCK NO. Zombies are still very glitchy. Here are the annoyances I've noticed. Zombies still glitch through building sometimes, they glitch through fence, they can see see a mile up even though there not facing up, they tend to hit when your not near them, zombies can see through walls often, certain weapons don't like to hit zombies yet they hit players with an ease, they can sometimes spawn kill(freshspawn and relog) there's lots more but that's the ones I've encontered most.

Zombies are still glitchy indeed. However, they are too easy to kill even when several in number (so I disagree with OP on this point), as you can sidestep/whack them without ever getting hit by that zombie ball. +1 for zombie hordes that the server can handle.

Melee weapon damage on zombies is OK, but rifles (AKM, AK101, M4) kill them too easily. 1-shot headshots OK, 1-shot bodyshots seem too easy.

Sometimes if you get caught in the middle of the town with a horde coming by, you should have a very hard time escaping. This would encourage more careful play: watch your surroundings for zombies / don't corner yourself. Right now I don't care if I agro a zombie, ever, so I don't even look for them, unless I am near hostile players; I would guess this is common for players with even little experience.

Overall, so the server can handle this, I could imagine adding random horde spawns outside of towns (numbered 10-30 zombies) that are given a walking direction towards the center of town, plus a random angle between -45 and 45 degrees to the direction (so zombies will occasionally miss the town). Buff the zombies against rifled weapons, giving real difficulty when being confronted by a horde. Of course, there aren't very many zombies right now because of the server-side load (I imagine), so more improvements would have to be made to handle even 'small' hordes.

Edited by icenhower

Something that would actually be neat about Zombie hordes is that player groups could actually work to wipe them out. You know, you get a good group of 5-10 people and you all go in guns blazing taking down the horde.  

This would be especially important in places like Cherno, Electro, Novod, NW, etc where a lot of decent loot is going to be, and where the requirement of a group to deal with the horde (either by straight up destroying it or by drawing it out of the area) will complement the groups requirement of these towns in order to stock up properly.

Having hordes would also encourage more forest play, where players who play alone or can't get into a group would still be able to survive out in the woods without having to travel into big towns (as typically small towns can resupply a forest player pretty easily).