Sign in to follow this  
Mac338

Animations tied to movement, rather than the other way around

In DayZ, a lot of people would agree with me that the movement is incredibly clunky. Not so much the hardcore players I bet, but that is probably because they're more used to the moment system. I'm not saying you should strive for less realism but I've got some issues with the current approach.

It seems that the process of moving the player starts with the player input obviously, but rather than tie that directly to the movement, the animation is run and the movement is dependent on that animation. This means that when your goal is to take just a small step to the side and then come to a full stop, you instead take a large step and slowly come to a halt. This makes navigating in enclosed spaces incredibly counter-intuitive and I've stepped off more ledges than I can count back in the mod because of it.

Instead, I'd tie the movement directly to the players input and then have the animations fit that movement.

When it comes to realism, you'll never have as much control of your character as you have over your own body, and I don't see any need to try to emulate actual movement. 

At least that's my opinion, what do you think?

Tl;dr: Player movement seems based on animations triggered by user input, it should be based directly on the input and then the animations should be applied to fit.

• Like 4

I like it.

Some movements should be dependent on the animation - such as rolling while prone - but for the most part the animations should be subservient to the movement.

At the very least animations should blend better. Can't tell you how many times I've been hit by zombies when I stop running to slowly put my rifle away and take out my axe, or I've been crouched and have had to play out the whole standing up animation before I can move.

For now I always just walk when I'm inside buildings or when I'm on balconies or roofs, just to minimise the risks of falling. 

• Like 1

I like that a lot to be honest, but I can't see them changing basically the fundamentals of the engine. I'd be nice though

• Like 1

I like it.

Some movements should be dependent on the animation - such as rolling while prone - but for the most part the animations should be subservient to the movement.

At the very least animations should blend better. Can't tell you how many times I've been hit by zombies when I stop running to slowly put my rifle away and take out my axe, or I've been crouched and have had to play out the whole standing up animation before I can move.

For now I always just walk when I'm inside buildings or when I'm on balconies or roofs, just to minimise the risks of falling. 

Yeah walking makes things less of a pain but it still feels clunky. And yeah I forgot to mention that, having to come to a dead stop to pull out your weapon really sucks. Aside from that, I wish they would implement a way to stop eating/pulling out your weapon instantly. There's nothing more infuriating than to watch your character finish eating while someone is bashing your head in with a bat.

• Like 2