Sign in to follow this  
BeefBacon

Dynamic torch shadows

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/180890-how-dayz-could-look-with-dynamic-shadowmapping-reddit-post/

In my opinion, dynamic flashlight/ torch lighting and shadow mapping is an absolute must in a game where being spotted can mean death.

As it stands, light from flashlights shine through buildings illuminating the landscape. It's something that can be seen from a mile away, meaning that somebody hidden away in a building with a flashlight on has essentially set up a beacon drawing bandits to them.

So I propose that, despite the performance hit, mandatory dynamic shadows be introduced for flashlights and other player-made light sources such as gas lamps and campfires. (mandatory as in setting a lower shadow quality will still have dynamic shadows from player-made light sources).

It'd also be nice to be able to attach flashlights to weapons at the cost of, say, accuracy.

Having advanced lighting effects will also help to increase immersion, which is always a good thing.

• Like 1

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/180890-how-dayz-could-look-with-dynamic-shadowmapping-reddit-post/

In my opinion, dynamic flashlight/ torch lighting and shadow mapping is an absolute must in a game where being spotted can mean death.

As it stands, light from flashlights shine through buildings illuminating the landscape. It's something that can be seen from a mile away, meaning that somebody hidden away in a building with a flashlight on has essentially set up a beacon drawing bandits to them.

So I propose that, despite the performance hit, mandatory dynamic shadows be introduced for flashlights and other player-made light sources such as gas lamps and campfires. (mandatory as in setting a lower shadow quality will still have dynamic shadows from player-made light sources).

It'd also be nice to be able to attach flashlights to weapons at the cost of, say, accuracy.

Having advanced lighting effects will also help to increase immersion, which is always a good thing.

Why don't you just copy/paste this into this http://forums.dayzga...ng-reddit-post/ pre existant

topic,and bothered to make a whole new one about it?

Because while they're related, the original topic doesn't discuss its applications. The reasoning behind it is "it looks nice".

You could say the same thing about any topics that are even remotely related. Take the 'mortar' thread for example. Why not just have that in one of the weapons threads? Because it warrants it's own discussion without being tacked on after the OP.

Please write something constructive.

Edited by BeefBacon
  • Like 1

This requires a different render engine... the one their using won't do dynamic shadows.  This has been a complaint forever and the issue exists in Arma 2 & 3, as well.  Hopefully, it'll happen because they keep saying how night is an important aspect of the game and this is one of the biggest problems with night, but... we'll just have to wait and see.

Hopefully it's something that'll be resolved. I'd like to play at night, but that feels impossible for as long as flashlights remain such a liability.

I'd also like to see a much shorter day/night cycle to promote playing at night time as I feel that night is an aspect of the game that should be very important but, in SA, seems largely unexplored.