Sign in to follow this  
BadContrakt

DEADLY Ricochet Mechanic Proved True

So Raptor and I were running in the field, a Zed was chasing him and I popped a shot at him with my Sporter. I missed the shot and noticed that the bullet hit the ground and in a bright orange streak of glory, the bullet ricocheted off the ground and into the air. I was like hmmm...

I was wondering if that ricochet actually carried any real mass or deadly properties. I just sort of naturally assumed that their was no code carried in the ricochet animation, it was just an animation (like most other games).

We decided to test it out inside a building. At short ranges with a different weapon (1911) the bullets were going all over the place! It looked promising. So Raptor said "Hey what if I tried to ricochet it off and make it hit one of us?" And I was thinking... The servers are fucked right now anyway, so why not? If it hits me, no big deal, just bandage up and move on. If I happened to DIE, well no big deal like I said the servers are jacked anyways.

So we did it.

**I don't know what the Dayz Forum's policies are on posting videos on your own thread, but I assume for this purpose it will be fine.**

• Like 3

Considering DayZ: SA is based off Take on, which is based off ARMA 2 I am not surprised. Already had properly nice ricochets in ARMA 2. Tested it out with a projectile camera once and it's insane where you can go, if you only just follow the projectile.

There should still be a mod out there for a camera and a testing ground, if you want to test it out.

• Like 1

Shame its not the vastly superior arma 3 ballistics.

II would have loved realistic bullet penetration and damage.

Not to late is it ? Still hope Bohemia once finished with Arma 3 can take over the project and dump the crappy engine for Arma 3 ?

Soooo.  I was on top of the tall apartment buildings across from the grocery store in Berezino.  And I fired off a mosin shot at a player on the top of the apartments by the police station north of berezino.  From a crouched position.  Clear line of fire.  The bullet ricocheted off of thin air and hit me in the leg.  I was thoroughly surprised.

So that's what happened to me......

The other day I was in a building with a handgun out, closed the door behind me so no one could shoot me through it, accidentally misfired and I saw it hit the wall, next thing I know I've got a broken leg

Was waiting inside for a good 15 minutes thinking someone somehow found a gap to shoot me through

Guess not :)

Edited by Regulator Lone Warrior
  • Like 1