7-75 callaghan

Helicopter Crash Site Implementation Change - More immersion, realism, fun.

Good idea. It might take time to put in a system like this but the mod is still in alpha.

Good idea. It might take time to put in a system like this but the mod is still in alpha.

Actually, it only takes about 5-10 minutes to do this in the editor. But then again I don't know if there is anything already in place that would have to be changed to accommodate it.

How do you explain the infected around the helicopter?

If we had a flying helicopter this would mean the military still exists and that they were immune to the virus.

How do they turn to zombies when landed?

I'm all for the idea, since the heli crash sites are out in the open and you can simply pick off the zombies there from a distance without any risk. This system would draw a lot of player attention to it, making it an actual risk to go there(which is only normal, considering the rare loot in it). I'm not sure if it could be made so that zombies spawn there but there's no need for zombies at the crash sites in my opinion. The sound & smoke from the helicopter and the explosion would make more than up for the barely existant risk right now.

Guys read the previous posts - OP has posted the story behindthe zombies spawning, and explained it in great detail.

Still love the idea, want to see this in the game, completely as written here, by the OP. Fantastic element, adds for a more dynamic feel to the game, and seeing one of these go down would be an exciting and scary moment when approaching. Anything to pull the PVP from the select few areas, is a godsend.

Question to the OP: How frequent would these be? would it be controlled by the server admin or a set time thing? I'd love it, if it could be completely random for time/location all the time and not easily exploitable. Too much of a good thing, is bad ;) I'm no modder myself so i'm not sure what control you'd have over it.

Seems like a great idea, and you could merge some of it with the Radio idea if that is implemented as well, like when the helo passes within a set radius of a survivor with an active radio, he would be able to hear the 'Mayday' if the helo was about to go down. (No coordinates or anything, just something to the effect of "Mayday, mayday, Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot going down!")

Also you could just use the existing helo spawn sites as waypoints, to avoid any glitches that might arise from crashing into the middle of forests/buildings/etc. I mean, isn't it only reasonable that the pilot would steer for an open area to increase chances of survival?

Still, awesome idea!

what if they broadcasted a distress signal through radios giving coords(those with gps)/ the grid(those with maps) they landed in. so anyone with a radio/map or gps could flock to the given location.

THIS.

With a rare radio item that could be added, as others have suggested. I don't get why people would think it "arcadey" - newbies would have a shot at seeing one, and the vets with a radio would flock to a crashsight, with hilarity ensuing. Somebody else dismissed this, citing a "bloodbath" as if that is a bad thing. It's not. The fact that you know other people could be coming would result in you calculating your odds for reaching a chopper first, based on distance, and how you deal with it from there. Can you imagine the paranoia? The PVP risk and rewards would be fantastic in such situations!

I think there should already be a couple that initially spawn with the server though. I like searching for choppers, and that'd be rendered pointless if it was totally random and there were none to be found until these crashes occurred, and then with little chance of you seeing or getting to one on such a large map, taking away the element of "chopper hunting".

Seems like a great idea' date=' and you could merge some of it with the Radio idea if that is implemented as well, like when the helo passes within a set radius of a survivor with an active radio, he would be able to hear the 'Mayday' if the helo was about to go down. (No coordinates or anything, just something to the effect of "Mayday, mayday, Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot going down!")

Also you could just use the existing helo spawn sites as waypoints, to avoid any glitches that might arise from crashing into the middle of forests/buildings/etc. I mean, isn't it only reasonable that the pilot would steer for an open area to increase chances of survival?

Still, awesome idea!

[/quote']

The radios are planned by Rocket, based on the existing ACRE mod, which is very cool. I would not like to hear a mayday call unless/until the radios are implemented, that is what I meant by arcadey, as a crashing helicopter would be visible for at least a 1.5km radius and draw plenty of attention. The radios are a separate discussion though, so until a dev makes a comment on this, I don't want to get too heavily into the subject. I do like the idea though.

Also you could just use the existing helo spawn sites as waypoints' date=' to avoid any glitches that might arise from crashing into the middle of forests/buildings/etc. I mean, isn't it only reasonable that the pilot would steer for an open area to increase chances of survival?

Still, awesome idea!

[/quote']

Well if the pilot was attacked by an on-board infected, he wouldn't really get a chance to steer :-)

Either way, they would have to use an area-waypoint system, so that it wouldn't end up in the sea or an inaccessible mountainside - then again, I did mention the possibility of a cheeky 'move' in case it lands on an inaccessible area, this would be incredibly rare though.

However, I do think these waypoint areas should much bigger than the current spawn zones - forests are not a problem at all - helicopter crashes, large explosions in general, level areas of forest in the game engine, and would only add to the atmosphere by creating a new 'terrain feature'.

Question to the OP: How frequent would these be? would it be controlled by the server admin or a set time thing? I'd love it' date=' if it could be completely random for time/location all the time and not easily exploitable. Too much of a good thing, is bad ;) I'm no modder myself so i'm not sure what control you'd have over it.

[/quote']

I have never seen a heli crash site myself, and I have played a fair bit. Others say they have seen 1-2 in a single session, so it seems to be quite rare and just down to luck.

I think they should be kept very rare, with maximum 2 (maybe even 3) per server at any given time. Coming in at a random time but at a general rate of 1 per 6-8 hours of server time, maybe even longer. Too many and they won't be exciting. There is plenty of other stuff in the mod to keep people going anyway. I'd like to see the introduction of other 'events' like this, that spawn different loot types, so that it isn't all about crash sites, and that allow for crashes to be even rarer.

This was influenced by another thread, but I had already been thinking about it - something like an ambulance with a load of 'turning' infected in the back, driving in from an off map location to a randomly determined hospital, crashing into a building in the town when it arrives, delivering a load of infected that patrol the crash, and that contains rare medical supplies.

How do you explain the infected around the helicopter?

If we had a flying helicopter this would mean the military still exists and that they were immune to the virus.

How do they turn to zombies when landed?

There is nothing in the lore that suggests immunity to the virus. One of the good things about the background is how vague it is - without researchers out there, how would we know the details anyway?

As mentioned, I offered story possibilities in a previous post, but it would revolve around having someone in the crew 'turn', or it could have been evacuating an infected individual, either thought dead, or not fully turned. The crew that survive the crash are infected and that gives you your Zeds.

OR - A completely different possibility - as I don't think crash sites even need more than 1-2 zeds with this change, is to have it draw a random number of zeds from the closest town, just to add to the 'mad dash for the crash' that someone mentioned! I mean, if they can hear me opening my Pepsi, they can hear a fully fuelled, fully armed UH1-Y exploding!

when he implements the "radio", this can also be done. when the heli is about to go down, the crew makes a "mayday" call at the very last moment saying their general location and calling for help. people with a radio can hear this even if they are opposite end of map. the ppl that are near the crash, with or without a radio, will be able to see the smoke and fire and all the good stuff you mentioned.

when he implements the "radio"' date=' this can also be done. when the heli is about to go down, the crew makes a "mayday" call at the very last moment saying their general location and calling for help. people with a radio can hear this even if they are opposite end of map. the ppl that are near the crash, with or without a radio, will be able to see the smoke and fire and all the good stuff you mentioned.

[/quote']

My suggestion can be done with or without radios. Radios are in the works, but another topic, and merely a detail of this. I appreciate the feedback, but we have covered the radio concept several times now. Let's stay on topic pretty please.

So long as the helicopter doesn't fly and crash in a major city its a good idea. +1

Wouldn't that be part of the fun though? Would completely change the dynamic of the situation in that town on that server.

Thanks for the reply Callaghan.

1 every 6-8 hours server time would be perfect. I've stumbled accross 4 crash sites in all my time playing DayZ. 1 after about 2 weeks, and 3 (within 200 meters of each other) yesterday.

So they are rare, but freaky things happen with those spawns! :D

I'd like to impose as few limits on the random location as possible, it's no fun being able to map out possible locations for good loot. Randomness makes you use the entire map. I quite like the idea of the heli crashing into a major town to, so long as server restarts fix the demolished building(s) it all adds to the "realism" pilots don't choose to crash, they try guide the craft down, but sometimes, this isn't possible. The more spectacular the better. I mean really. It'd be a huge talking point in the game, You'd just watch it with your mouth wide open.

Rocket and Co. Please - consider this concept + other real time events. These ideas are the reason i love the suggestions section!

Has a dev had a chance to look at this yet? I'd like some feedback in terms of how easy it would be to integrate with the existing code and server/database setup?

I like this idea very much. Would be good if occasionally helicopters flew overhead and DIDN'T crash, just for the troll factor.

I like the idea the only problem is if it is posseble. You gotta remeber that this is a mod and it's not for sure that the Arma 2 engine allows for it.

Arma2 engine 100% allows this, it's in almost every modded mission out there. Not this specific thing but as stated, it's easily created via AI routines. Not being a modder myself, i don't know the difficulty of it, but the Arma 2 engine can handle it.

Shameless bump. One of the DEV team need to see this idea ;)

I like the idea the only problem is if it is posseble. You gotta remeber that this is a mod and it's not for sure that the Arma 2 engine allows for it.

Arma 2 allows for anything. A friend once made a Stephen Hawking addon, we made a stunt track and raced each other hehe. Another time we had a 12v12 battle riding in on the backs of up-armoured suicide bomber goats. And none of that stuff was especially advanced to create either. I have been editing this series of games for over ten years, and this is one of the easiest suggestions to implement that is on the list.