Sign in to follow this  
Deepxen

Bugged yet exhilarating

This game is currently hugely flawed, but I have been gaming since the days of the Amiga 500 and I can honestly say it has moments of pure and unique genius.

I had got myself reasonably well kitted. Had an SKS and some ammo and as i am new to the game, i decided I wanted a kill. I have ben kos'd dozens of times so felt it was my turn to be a bit of a bandit. I went to the NE airfield and climbed up into the green crows nest by the entrance and scouted the horizion for players. After about 5mins i heard some M4 gunfire and saw a player approaching the airfield. Right away i physically feel my pulse quickening. As he comes up to the entrance i get him in my sights and fire. My heart it literally pounding at this point. I can feel it thumping deep in my chest.

I miss.

He runs behind the barracks. I consider climbing down the ladder to find him, but decide to hold my ground. Then i see him.... I see him poking his head round the back of the building. As i look down my sights he fires, just missing me. I return fire and he drops. I take a DEEP breath and climb down the ladder and walk over to him.

This guy is kitted! A scoped Moisin. An M4 and 3 ammo boxes. I rummage around in his backpack for a while deciding what i have room to take. He has food, guns, morphine....everything. I spend an age wondering what i should loot. I spend too long lingering.....

Little do i know he's not dead. As he stirs and regains conciousness i try and get my SKS back out to finish him off but the damn thing glitches! He gets up and while i am struggling with my gun he blows me away.

Rookie mistake i know. Will serve me right for going bandit i guess, but I am not that pissed off. The only think I can compare the experience to is being in a real fight in secondary school. The pumping heart, the heightened senses, my mind so clouded with adrenaline and excitement that i stood rummaging through his stuff for too long and panicked when he started coming around.

The bugs in this game are obvious. It's alpha i know, but already DAYZ has provided me with some epic moments of sheer excitement that i have never expereinced in a computer game before. Can't wait too see how this game develops.

Stop moaning about the pace of updates and patches guys, and think about those moments. Think about them.

• Like 3

I always get put my disinfectant and give em a good spray (in the mouth) to see if there alive or not.

What an awesome story. I'm right there with you, OP, if people bitched less they could spend more time enjoying the typical moments that only very few games can provide.

Let the Zombies glitch for a while longer, I've gotten so used to it I'm not even pissed about it anymore.

Enjoy the game, with your mindset I think it'll only keep getting better for you :-)

• Like 2

With your crosshair on the body, roll your mousewheel. If they are dead you'll have the option to 'hide body'. If you only have the option to look at their gear than they are still alive.