Aniki102

Open cans without any tools

It's just a small suggestion.

I've encountered many moments in my DayZ history were I had a can of beans and had nothing to open it with. Yet it is possible to open cans with just pavement or concrete as proved in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH2NahLjx-Y

Edited by Aniki102

Yeah i mean take away any need for items on anything man.

• Like 1

Yes, this is possible, and has been pointed out numerous times by reddit users.

However, let us role-play and suspend the notion that our shipwrecked/stranded character is a plugged-in, social-media savvy, youtube video consumer  with a penchant for survival oriented content.

He/she would likely not try this obscure method because many other items can already be found that could accomplish this task.

Edited by taco241
  • Like 1

it would be cool perk if there would be xp-system 

XP systems would ruin emersion and put players on uneven playing fields. Kindly piss off.

• Like 4

XP systems would ruin emersion and put players on uneven playing fields. Kindly piss off.

The apocalypse isn't an even playing field by default. xD

An XP or skill system would be too "gamey" though, I agree.

Back to OP, yes but I didn't find this out until someone posted it on reddit I think, it's not exactly what you'd call common knowledge and personally I'd have never thought to do that I can open a can of beans with a butter knife and say a nail or other piercing object, without spilling them all over the floor too, sure I can't do it in the record time that I can in game hell I can't even beat that with a real can opener!!

Doesn't that take a rather long time to do as well like 20-30 min's I can run from the coast to NWAF, die and be back on the coast in that time.

Edited by Window Licker

There already is a skill system. Ever notice how when you open up a can with something other than a can opener, you drop less and less and less of it? Like you're slowly getting better at it? One time I could open it nearly perfectly with a screwdriver.

i didnt suggest xp system i just said that WOULD be good perk if there WOULD be xp system but i know there os not going to be unless someone creates mod for it

I would only like to see this option available once the "starving" status is started.

Or else there would be no need for any tools to open cans with.

there are enough thinks that you can eat without a can opener.

to find it is the first challenge for a freshspawn.

please dont delete the situation between two freshspawn.one with beans and one with a can opener....

Another video i Came across about opening cans without a can opener... Tied out the spoon one, works well even without a glove.

http://youtu.be/EE3vMNwj7FQ

Lupine

Honestly no, it would NOT be a good perk.  Just look at War(Fail)Z where people can get a full 30rnd mag emptied into their head and they still live because of the perks they unlocked (extra hp, armor, damage reduction and etc...).  No thank you!  The best part about DayZ with the way it is now is the fact that even if you are geared up you can still get killed by a noob if they are skilled or lucky enough to get the drop on you or if you are just plain stupid.  Skill should always be a determining factor whether you live or die in this game, not some numbers and howmany points you spend into some skill tree.  At least those are my two cents on the matter.

As for OP, fine I can see people being able to do that, but it would have to have some heavy penalty like loss of 75% of the food or it would make items that function for that purpose obsolete..

Edited by Izzoroth

Honestly no, it would NOT be a good perk.  Just look at War(Fail)Z where people can get a full 30rnd mag emptied into their head and they still live because of the perks they unlocked (extra hp, armor, damage reduction and etc...).  No thank you!  The best part about DayZ with the way it is now is the fact that even if you are geared up you can still get killed by a noob if they are skilled or lucky enough to get the drop on you or if you are just plain stupid.  Skill should always be a determining factor whether you live or die in this game, not some numbers and howmany points you spend into some skill tree.  At least those are my two cents on the matter.

As for OP, fine I can see people being able to do that, but it would have to have some heavy penalty like loss of 75% of the food or it would make items that function for that purpose obsolete..

if i want perks in game i want them to be more realistic not like getting more damage or hp, just like that you would open canned food without can opener etc.

It makes sense that you could equip the can into your hands, and just punch it against a wall/tree. Granted you would lose a large amount of the contents, but it seems like an okay idea. It could even use the same animation as punching.

Edited by Gluke