B-Man (DayZ)

Animal Skins

Let us make clothes out of animals, or at least wear their pelts. It would be cool if nothing went to waste (have lots of options on what you can make from the animal)

• Like 5

That would be pretty cool,

Maybe we can use feathers and sticks to make arrows!

Good idea dude

Not sure. Its not like you just take out a kitchen knife and get some boar skin and then you make yourself some coat out of it with some rope and duct tape... you should need a realy good knife to get it. Then you should clean it with water, salt water maybe. Without cleaning it it would most likly smell worse than a rotten walking corpse. You would need some time to get the skin ready to work with. Then maybe you could craft yourself some kind of coat or upgrade your pants or whatever.

Not sure. Its not like you just take out a kitchen knife and get some boar skin and then you make yourself some coat out of it with some rope and duct tape... you should need a realy good knife to get it. Then you should clean it with water, salt water maybe. Without cleaning it it would most likly smell worse than a rotten walking corpse. You would need some time to get the skin ready to work with. Then maybe you could craft yourself some kind of coat or upgrade your pants or whatever.

It would work when base building comes around. When it comes, ive got time to tend to my base and skin an animal. Trust me. Base is my #1 pritority.

Let's take the idea a bit further, and add the ability to make use of the bones as well.

I want to wear a deer skull mask antlers still attached and scream nonsensical russian at newspawns on the coast like some deranged dayz hermit.

EDIT: seriously though, there are alot of things bones can be used for when properly prepared.

• small bones can be used for sewing needles if you cant find a sewing kit
  • thigh bones could be used as a melee weapon like a club, or more intricately a makeshift axe with rope and a bit of sharp scrap metal(or mandible), also knife.
  • bone broth
  • SCRIMSHAW
  • fish hooks
  • arrowheads
  • various clothing items (makeshift armor)
  • spears (fishing, combat)
  • i think you get the idea here
Edited by psycrash
  • Like 2

I dig the idea of using more animal products for survival although this would require a big reduction in availability of weapons, ammo, high quality clothes and req equipment for it to be worth while crafting make shift weapons and clothing. ..

I dig the idea of using more animal products for survival although this would require a big reduction in availability of weapons, ammo, high quality clothes and req equipment for it to be worth while crafting make shift weapons and clothing. ..

this would be easy to balance, just consider all of the makeshift weapons equal to others that exist(copy/paste stats), but attach a durability degradation to them.  i.e. they become ruined after a while, and make them harder to craft

Well, in the game were not on an inhabited island to make stuff from animal skins, there are plenty of clothes around, but otherwise liked the idea.

Buckskins have a lot of positive qualities over normal clothing, but take a huge amount of time to make. Much like many other primitive forms of construction they were slowly disappearing not because they weren't useful. Instead, it was a matter of practicality. It is easier to buy a ready-made item that accomplishes a function instead of spending hours across the span of multiple days to prepare an item. Flint arrow heads are just as deadly as metal, but break more easily and take more effort to produce in large numbers. I could see there being levels of ability in crafting such things though. Someone could toss raw hide over them to gain clothing/protection, but doing so risks disease. Eventually with practice and gained skill (read failed attempts) you get a grip on making leather and buckskin and can then have something slightly more protective than non-armored clothing that offers some benefits against cold or damp as well. Jack of all trades and master of none. Similar things could play out in other animal-crafted items as well. Invariably they are more fragile, but you can make them yourself and they do the job well enough.

Maybe a leather armor? layer it a little and it helps reduce damage from zombies/blade weapons. Nothing against bullets, or blunt weapons.

I'm wondering, because no-1 mentioned him yet:

jeff-bridges-photography-true-grit-ed-co122410bearman_t300.jpg

Well its not like you find parts for a helicopter slap them on and you fly it, but its not stoping the devs