kurtino

Game just feels lonely without side chat.

Here's a fun fact: Did you know there is a bug where you simply cannot communicate too each other and the side channel was already missing? I can't tell the difference if I have that or not now' date=' so sometimes people will simply not be able too talk and not be aware that they can't read other people talking either. And no, it's not just the wrong beta version that does that, it's a legit bug that I know three people have had including myself while running the correct version.

[/quote']

No, it was fixed. I've logged 50 hours since installing the Beta and I've had no issues with Proxy chat. Maybe you are playing on outdated servers?

Well everyone say's that but I've made sure that every server I've ever joined always says the correct version and that my version is updated as well as the beta. I guess technically the server could say it has the latest version but doesn't but really I only join similar popular ones, it's doubtful but it still seems too happen.

Both me and my friend both had the same version and beta installed and joined the same server...I had access to Side chat but he didn't...There was no explanation for that so I'm going too say it's still a bug.

what is it with these so called "hardcore"players. They don't want anyone to have any fun.

get rid of name tags, so you don't know who anyone is, get rid of communication to reduce your options and prevent innovation, get rid of the starting pistol gun - so you have no ability to defend yourself.....

I tell you as a new player who has run around for several days with no gun or food, these "developments" actually made me stop playing this. Forums and videos are good fun though - the game itself - boring and kind of weird -

I tried again to find a gun but its kind of boring and sucky - Warfare is much more stimulating

I m the kind of player that hates running around looking for "collectibles to gather" been there done that in Zelda like 15 years ago. So Dayz is not the one -

hopefully they bring back the old versions as they looked more fun (i.e. with name tags, communication and a starting weapon to defend yourself against zombies - seeing as you cannot kick or punch

what is it with these so called "hardcore"players. They don't want anyone to have any fun.

get rid of name tags' date=' so you don't know who anyone is, get rid of communication to reduce your options and prevent innovation, get rid of the starting pistol gun - so you have no ability to defend yourself.....

I tell you as a new player who has run around for several days with no gun or food, these "developments" actually made me stop playing this. Forums and videos are good fun though - the game itself - boring and kind of weird -

I tried again to find a gun but its kind of boring and sucky - Warfare is much more stimulating

I m the kind of player that hates running around looking for "collectibles to gather" been there done that in Zelda like 15 years ago. So Dayz is not the one -

hopefully they bring back the old versions as they looked more fun (i.e. with name tags, communication and a starting weapon to defend yourself against zombies - seeing as you cannot kick or punch

[/quote']

I guess I could counter that argument by saying:

What is it with these so called "casual" players. They don't want anyone to have any fun.

Add name tags, so you (For some reason) know exactly who everyone is, get rid of communication to reduce realism and ruin immersion, add a starting gun so you have the ability to grief other players every time you spawn....

See what I did there?

And for the record, if you've played the older versions you might have more of an understanding for why these changes have been implemented. 12 year olds screaming into side channel is infuriating.

Great point - very boring wandering around with no communication or text. Shows a bit of a lack of understanding of fundamental human nature from the developers.

Or' date=' perhaps it shows a keen understanding since they apparently know exactly how to put that particular part of your human nature to the test in a way that has clearly taken you out of your comfort zone and made you feel emotions you're not used to feeling in a game which is precisely what rocket has said he intends to do with the product.

Like magic, no?

[/quote']

That's a really stupid analogy my friend.

They took out a useful function (to communicate) and pissed off everyone - it's not good to piss people off even if you are making them feel "real" emotions" (like "this is kind of boring now")

Great point - very boring wandering around with no communication or text. Shows a bit of a lack of understanding of fundamental human nature from the developers.

Or' date=' perhaps it shows a keen understanding since they apparently know exactly how to put that particular part of your human nature to the test in a way that has clearly taken you out of your comfort zone and made you feel emotions you're not used to feeling in a game which is precisely what rocket has said he intends to do with the product.

Like magic, no?

[/quote']

Is being bored an emotion? Because thats all removing side chat makes me feel.

I'm not sure you even get it. I want side chat back because it was fun. Removing it didn't bring any new emotions. You seem to think people miss side chat for game play reasons, but that isn't the case for me. I liked talking to people while doing boring tasks in game, I liked answering newbie questions and defending the poor Russians. It has nothing to do with what you presume people's reasons are.

get rid of name tags' date=' so you don't know who anyone is, get rid of communication to reduce your options and prevent innovation, get rid of the starting pistol gun - so you have no ability to defend yourself.....

[/quote']

i highly suggest you research the game design objectives of this game. rocket's intentions for this game have been no secret for a while now. some of the people you deride as hardcore players can be obnoxious, others are trying to preserve rocket's vision of the game. he has clearly said it was not supposed to be fun, see the quotes from my previous post in this thread.

Like magic, no?

[/quote']

im so glad you are here, sometimes i just dont have the strength to combat these retards, seeing your posts put a glimmer of hope back into me concerning the future of this game.

I can see both sides of this argument to be honest.

How grand it must be to be of such superior moral caliber.

[/quote']

I guess I could counter that argument by saying:

What is it with these so called "casual" players. They don't want anyone to have any fun.

Add name tags, so you (For some reason) know exactly who everyone is, get rid of communication to reduce realism and ruin immersion, add a starting gun so you have the ability to grief other players every time you spawn....

See what I did there?

And for the record, if you've played the older versions you might have more of an understanding for why these changes have been implemented. 12 year olds screaming into side channel is infuriating.

valid points - but remember I only got the game a week ago and have already stopped playing as the youtube videos are more interesting than anything I can do.

I would like to see a "hardcore" player crawl the length of the map using only their keyboard. This would show how hardcore they are

valid points - but remember I only got the game a week ago

I understand that. There has been a huge increase of new players in the past few weeks who have seen footage of the older versions and are expecting it be just like that.

I'm not saying this directly at you, but what I've noticed is that these newer players just don't understand how to complete the first initial stages of survival. Rather than adjusting their playstyle they tend to think that its just a broken game . It starts off being hard, but as you survive longer it gets easier and you might get a better understanding of why there has been so many changes to the first few hours of gameplay.

Also don't forget, there is a replacement for sidechat currently being developed. I'm willing to bet my money on a radio.

I agree that no side chat hinders communication in a way that especially assists new players.

I would like to see an alternative brought in soon. Radios or whatever.

They said they have a plan for alternative global communication (probably through radios)

I too enjoy the side chat. I would like to see some kind of nerfed side chat. Perhaps it could only work in like a 500 meter range or something. Just so I could ask people if they are friendly at a safe distance...before I shoot them in the face.

Like magic, no?

[/quote']

Is being bored an emotion? Because thats all removing side chat makes me feel.

I'm not sure you even get it. I want side chat back because it was fun. Removing it didn't bring any new emotions. You seem to think people miss side chat for game play reasons, but that isn't the case for me. I liked talking to people while doing boring tasks in game, I liked answering newbie questions and defending the poor Russians. It has nothing to do with what you presume people's reasons are.

how is it possible to be typing in side chat while "doing boring tasks in game"?

I agree that no side chat hinders communication in a way that especially assists new players.

I would like to see an alternative brought in soon. Radios or whatever.

They said they have a plan for alternative global communication (probably through radios)

they should make it a radio with several channels, and make it so you can listen in on other's convos. oh the fuckery...

I'm not saying this directly at you' date=' but what I've noticed is that these newer players just don't understand how to complete the first initial stages of survival. Rather than adjusting their playstyle they tend to think that its just a broken game . It starts off being hard, but as you survive longer it gets easier and you might get a better understanding of why there has been so many changes to the first few hours of gameplay.

[/quote']

^^^^^^^^

this goes for all the overcritical ppl that buy games (probably hopped on the bandwagon cause of hype) and then get all offensive and blamey on it when you're supposed to have patience and appreciation. (not personal OP)

I can't believe people are being so aggressive about this, even a certain member calling the rest of us retards because we like communication?

Don't get me wrong, I like some of the changes and some of them I don't. I always think a developer should be trying too tend too the needs of the many instead of the needs of the few and opening up a game towards a wider range audience without too much disappointment.

Chat though, it's not really a huge issue. There was a perfectly NORMAL option too allow or disallow chat on servers, this was fair enough it gives that extra bit of control towards server hosters or admins and towards players. The player can choose if he wants too join a server with open chat or not...each to their own surely?

Too remove it all together...yes I admit it's boring...I come on my computer too play games online with people I like too communicate with people it's social interaction I mean come on, how can you fault that? About 50% of you, probably a lot more are going too be on skype or TS anyway and that certainly breaks this "immersion" everyone seems too be complaining about. You won't admit it but you certainly are.

And yes, I understand the fair arguments (the ones where people aren't calling others retarded) where people have had spammers in both microphone or text...boring or repetitive chats... (friendly? who fired in X city) etc...yeah fair enough I understand...I don't really care about what kind of chats there were but if they were abusive or spam like then yeah, I understand why you wouldn't want it there.

My experience with side chat was brilliant. I didn't know how too play ARMA and I used side chat for a means of communicating with others, getting help from others explaining things too me and they were fully willing too help me and all of my chats have been positive...It was nice too just talk too someone on a game see how they're doing what interesting moments they've had in the game.

You know how you guys create threads on the forum too discuss moments you've had on the game? I could do that in game...and I generally don't use forums and many people don't. It is a fact that the majority of players that have played the game have probably never registered for the forums either or their post count is going too be low.

Come on...I have a lot of complaints about the game but don't just put all of us into one category because we dislike a newly implemented...or perhaps removed feature. I understand both sides of the argument as well but each player has a different experience...I had a good experience with side chat and honestly, if you don't like it, why not just enable CHAT servers on/off like they use too?

And to be perfectly honest, the majority of servers had chat turned on because the majority of people liked too talk...it's not like CH on/off or third person...

I have to agree. Its a bit lonely without sidechat.

Sometimes you just wanna tell the guy who killed you for no reason that hes an asshole or just say that youre so lucky that youve found a crashed heli....doesnt matter which matter.

Its bit boring to feel so cut off every communication.

There are seriously people who can't be bothered to play one campaign mission or look up a one post manual to lean how to "right click to apply a bandage"? That's a weak argument for side chat.

I honestly think the game should be more immersive, no side chat and no 3rd person but not because I am some 1337est.

I think having servers with those things enabled for people like you might be an idea, but I think there are so many ways for you to fill this void without it having to be an issue, its not so much more problems as just new ways of doing things.

There are seriously people who can't be bothered to play one campaign mission or look up a one post manual to lean how to "right click to apply a bandage"? That's a weak argument for side chat.

I honestly think the game should be more immersive' date=' no side chat and no 3rd person but not because I am some 1337est.

I think having servers with those things enabled for people like you might be an idea, but I think there are so many ways for you to fill this void without it having to be an issue, its not so much more problems as just new ways of doing things.

[/quote']

The game would be more "immersive" if everyone didn't shoot on sight because realistically in real life not even 10% of people would do that and people are born with emotions, guilt, are taught right from wrong and have sanity, yet people bash at others if anyone ever complaints about the sheer number of bandits and shoot on sights in this game.

I would complain about something else breaking immersion than a CHAT system in a ONLINE game.

I bought the game on steam, I don't have a manual. The mod recently added right click to use bandages, many weren't aware and this isn't a feature from ARMA 2. I am unfamiliar too the game or its community, I do not have a guide right in front of me and I could easily ask people questions in game as they are friendly enough too answer me, it's small talk..it's conversation.

Sure I could google it or search it up but that's just me, I'm proud too say I am a fast learner and being a experienced gamer I can figure the majority of things out for myself and then get on with it but the basics weren't with me and it's not unfair too say that ARMA 2 is one of the most complex, if not the most complex FPS out there. That was my example and my experience but there are a lot of other questions out there which people like too ask, as well as having issues or anything like that...it's nice too be able too chat too people in real time instead of leaving a message on a forum.

Every one of my friends asked me how to do these things in voice chat while playing the game, should I have told them too go look at a manual as well?

P.S. I tried every mission on bootcamp before playing the game but that's just me. There will be people who won't do this and that's a fact but you shouldn't hate or criticise everyone because they don't think or do everything by the book of your brain.

I love how so many people talk about statistics and murders in a hypothetical zombie apocalypse. While it can be compared to many natural disasters, the fact is its pretty beyond anything we have data for. I think we really have no idea what percent of people would be murderers and bandits.

That being said, I like that side chat is gone. Not many games try something like this. Give it time. There will be something for global chat at some point, and odds are it will be a lot more interesting that just having a global chat channel.

I honestly think the game should be more immersive' date=' no side chat and no 3rd person but not because I am some 1337est.

[/quote']

The game would be more "immersive" if everyone didn't shoot on sight because realistically in real life not even 10% of people would do that and people are born with emotions, guilt, are taught right from wrong and have sanity, yet people bash at others if anyone ever complaints about the sheer number of bandits and shoot on sights in this game.

I would complain about something else breaking immersion than a CHAT system in a ONLINE game.

I bought the game on steam, I don't have a manual. The mod recently added right click to use bandages, many weren't aware and this isn't a feature from ARMA 2. I am unfamiliar too the game or its community, I do not have a guide right in front of me and I could easily ask people questions in game as they are friendly enough too answer me, it's small talk..it's conversation.

Sure I could google it or search it up but that's just me, I'm proud too say I am a fast learner and being a experienced gamer I can figure the majority of things out for myself and then get on with it but the basics weren't with me and it's not unfair too say that ARMA 2 is one of the most complex, if not the most complex FPS out there. That was my example and my experience but there are a lot of other questions out there which people like too ask, as well as having issues or anything like that...it's nice too be able too chat too people in real time instead of leaving a message on a forum.

Every one of my friends asked me how to do these things in voice chat while playing the game, should I have told them too go look at a manual as well?

P.S. I tried every mission on bootcamp before playing the game but that's just me. There will be people who won't do this and that's a fact but you shouldn't hate or criticise everyone because they don't think or do everything by the book of your brain.

couple things. first, if you go to your steam library list, right click any game, there will be an option to show you the manual in pdf form (just in case you didn't know).

i like the tension of not knowing whether someone is a bandit or not.

rocket does not regard this as a game (and technically it's a mod for arma 2 and not really a game), but more of an antigame, art, and experiment.

i do lament that it might be harder to approach for new players who cannot ask in game questions, but you can always ask here, or alternatively join up with a group from here... there's a thread somewhere in new players section about this. you could also try playing some regular arma 2 and asking questions about the game mechanics there. so there is options outside of in game chat. and really, i am very much for no global chat. it adds authenticity and tension, and is not something you can find in other games. it adds more value to being able to communicate.

[/quote']

couple things. first, if you go to your steam library list, right click any game, there will be an option to show you the manual in pdf form (just in case you didn't know).

i like the tension of not knowing whether someone is a bandit or not.

rocket does not regard this as a game (and technically it's a mod for arma 2 and not really a game), but more of an antigame, art, and experiment.

i do lament that it might be harder to approach for new players who cannot ask in game questions, but you can always ask here, or alternatively join up with a group from here... there's a thread somewhere in new players section about this. you could also try playing some regular arma 2 and asking questions about the game mechanics there. so there is options outside of in game chat. and really, i am very much for no global chat. it adds authenticity and tension, and is not something you can find in other games. it adds more value to being able to communicate.

Well each to their own, I understand your line of thinking and hope you understand mine.

The "asking for help in chat" thing was just one point of many, it's not the strongest by far but you can't admit it's not useful, not everyone wants too sign up for every forum for each game or create a thread that could potentially get ignored or receive negative feedback from (judging by the state of this forum...seems very likely) and really, it's just helpful in general.

Heck I didn't even know how too type when I first played but I figured it out...like (it says global but everyone is typing in this side channel and there's numbers...hmm?) and yeah not everyone understands things but a lot of people don't like having too search online when they can just jump into a multiplayer game and interact with others.

I joined a ARMA 2 domination server yesterday and had no idea what I was doing so this guy spoke to me on voice chat and others during chat and told me all about it and it was a pleasant experience, I enjoyed talking too them and they even offered me to come back too the server any time and they'll help me. It was certainly a lot more enjoyable then simply alt tabbing...searching up what "Domination" is on google....reading through information trying to find suitable parts...you know?

stuff

more stuff

me babbling

Well each to their own' date=' I understand your line of thinking and hope you understand mine.

The "asking for help in chat" thing was just one point of many, it's not the strongest by far but you can't admit it's not useful, not everyone wants too sign up for every forum for each game or create a thread that could potentially get ignored or receive negative feedback from (judging by the state of this forum...seems very likely) and really, it's just helpful in general.

Heck I didn't even know how too type when I first played but I figured it out...like (it says global but everyone is typing in this side channel and there's numbers...hmm?) and yeah not everyone understands things but a lot of people don't like having too search online when they can just jump into a multiplayer game and interact with others.

I joined a ARMA 2 domination server yesterday and had no idea what I was doing so this guy spoke to me on voice chat and others during chat and told me all about it and it was a pleasant experience, I enjoyed talking too them and they even offered me to come back too the server any time and they'll help me. It was certainly a lot more enjoyable then simply alt tabbing...searching up what "Domination" is on google....reading through information trying to find suitable parts...you know?

[/quote']

i do understand. the engine is pretty obtuse at first, and it helps to get instant answers for sure. i sympathize with new player's plight in this regard.

but at the same time, this mod was made to be stacked against the players. to be brutal and make you feel a gamut of emotions including isolation. and part of me thinks that, as a result of this unforgiving nature, if you don't have the patience to figure out the controls on your own or ask for help out of game, you likely won't have the patience to deal with getting shot from nowhere and losing all your gear, from having zombies glitch through walls and break you leg and render you unconscious, etc. that's not a judgment on you personally, just my own thoughts on the game mechanics and the mindset it helps to have to play it.

If it is a problem' date=' go find a server that has it, not hard really.

[/quote']

It's been forcefully removed, apparently.

I don't consider downgrading my version of DayZ a fix either.

It was simple before, you can have best of both words...players could choose if they wanted it or not...no one has too complain right?

I think the next thing to add is a option so the player can hide chat in game so they don't have too look at the chat if it's bothering them so much.