Sign in to follow this  
Smartsham

M4 potency/accuracy

Anyone who is former military (mostly expert shooters) will understand this and i hope others do as well

I have had the M4 quite a few times in game but find its accuracy and potency appalling. I have personally qualified from 50/100/200/300/500m out with iron-sights (Carrying handle for DayZ, like anyone ever uses it for that) that were painted with rifle black and qualified expert numerous times.

Does anyone else feel retarded when you have to pump 10-20 rounds at 10-50m to kill someone in game? Or that you need pristine ACOG or w/e optics to be effective over 100m? Also, since when is an M4A1 full auto? Last i checked it was safe/fire/burst.

Edited by Smartsham
  • Like 8

Also, since when is an M4A1 full auto? Last i checked it was safe/fire/burst

The original M4 fires single and 3 round bursts, the later M4A1 is single and full auto :)

The original M4 fires single and 3 round bursts, the later M4A1 is single and full auto :)

Well i never got to use one of those. Thanks :P

Anyone who is former military (mostly expert shooters) will understand this and i hope others do as well

I have had the M4 quite a few times in game but find its accuracy and potency appalling. I have personally qualified from 50/100/200/300/500m out with iron-sights (Carrying handle for DayZ, like anyone ever uses it for that) that were painted with rifle black and qualified expert numerous times.

Does anyone else feel retarded when you have to pump 10-20 rounds at 10-50m to kill someone in game? Or that you need pristine ACOG or w/e optics to be effective over 100m? Also, since when is an M4A1 full auto? Last i checked it was safe/fire/burst.

I attend AR-15 matches every other weekend, and while I'm no Expert Shooter, I can say it's not difficult for the M4 to get a really nice grouping @ 300m, at least for me. The game does not represent the M4A1 as it should.

• Like 4

I attend AR-15 matches every other weekend, and while I'm no Expert Shooter, I can say it's not difficult for the M4 to get a really nice grouping @ 300m, at least for me. The game does not represent the M4A1 as it should.

Just for the unnoficial record what kind of optics did you use? If any? And expert is just a score, im no Mark Whalburg here.

The dispersion model for the M4 in this game is seven sorts of broken.

It would be bad for an AK that was last maintained when Putin was a boy...

• Like 2

I do agree that the conditions of the attachments is pretty messed up and gamey. It either is broken or not but nothing in between and in case of a couple of sights you should be able to rezero it unless it's really broken on the inside and loses zero all the time which on the other hand tells me it is broken therefor useless and doesn't even deserve a slot in my backpack. Knives or bayonets in a rifles case can have pristine, brand new, used or heavily worn as well as most tools. I doubt a worn hammer will be less useful than a pristine one though. A worn screw driver can mess up the screws f.e.

I see the point that you are trying to make but the game can't be 100% realistic. Having to find a scope to shoot at further distances adds another dynamic to the game. Also the m4 can kill someone fast if you shoot them where it counts.

This being an anti-game, there isn't really supposed to be any huge game balancing, so yeah, the m4 is way too inaccurate. They'll adjust it later - trust me, maybe not to the extent at which some of you guys can shoot though.

I do agree that the conditions of the attachments is pretty messed up and gamey. It either is broken or not but nothing in between and in case of a couple of sights you should be able to rezero it unless it's really broken on the inside and loses zero all the time which on the other hand tells me it is broken therefor useless and doesn't even deserve a slot in my backpack. Knives or bayonets in a rifles case can have pristine, brand new, used or heavily worn as well as most tools. I doubt a worn hammer will be less useful than a pristine one though. A worn screw driver can mess up the screws f.e.

As i have experienced, Re-zeroing with any sight is always an option unless the barrel/reciever joints/pins are damaged or loose (using this specifically for the m16 class wep since the barrel assembly and the reciever assembly come completely in half.). Otherwise even if the thing is crooked as hell or bent or w/e, if you get the same position, and can adjust it far enough, you can re zero the rifle with any sight.

I see the point that you are trying to make but the game can't be 100% realistic. Having to find a scope to shoot at further distances adds another dynamic to the game. Also the m4 can kill someone fast if you shoot them where it counts.

True but if you wanted a spray and pray weapon why not an MP5 or an AK47?

Well, the M4 accuracy is a bit off, for sure. I'm more of a pistol guy, but when I got to shoot an AR-15, I had no problems nailing a smallish (15-20cm) target at 100m with every shot.

Agreed.  The M4 should be incredibly accurate and have pretty minimal muzzle flip with control bursts.  Seems like the dispersion in DayZ is over done.  

They're like pretty pea shooters in this game, although the 5.56 cartridge isn't designed to kill outright.

The designer got it wrong then as it's killed a metric fucktonne of humans since the mid 1960s.

• Like 4

The designer got it wrong then as it's killed a metric fucktonne of humans since the mid 1960s.

We were taught that NATO decided to use this cartridge as it generally maimed instead of killing outright. Compare it to man stopping rounds used in previous centuries. I've seen it take multiple shots to take someone down and I've read accounts of full magazines being unloaded into people and they still didn't die.

Not saying it doesn't kill because it does, but it's a lot less powerful and ideal for 'civilised' warfare.

inb4 the moaning wiki & internet experts

We were taught that NATO decided to use this cartridge as it generally maimed instead of killing outright. Compare it to man stopping rounds used in previous centuries. I've seen it take multiple shots to take someone down and I've read accounts of full magazines being unloaded into people and they still didn't die.

Not saying it doesn't kill because it does, but it's a lot less powerful and ideal for 'civilised' warfare.

inb4 the moaning wiki & internet experts

That is true. However 1 well placed shot to the chest or head will drop some one for sure. I know the game isn't about balance but they can make it more realistic.

M193 (Vietnam) round designed to yaw violently inside the target causing several soft tissue trauma and blood loss.

5.56 NATO (SS109 bullet) designed to fragment inside target after penetrating Soviet body armour.

Bullet placement is key unless you're using a .50 cal.

There's been thousands of cases of people surviving hits from all sorts of "Instant Death" calibres because the bullet missed anything vital.

The mod M4 was my favorite gun, always hit what the fuck I was aiming at, none of this "Cone of fire" bs.

Also, the 5.56 was adopted for use due to being a maiming round, the logic behind it was killing a man just kills a man. Wounding a man causes more manpower to be used on the OPFOR side to take care of the wounded. It ties up more resources. Something like that.

• Like 1

I always laugh when people insist the 5.56 NATO was developed to be 'more humane'. Perhaps that was a consideration but the main objective when developing the round was to provide a projectile capable of incapacitating an opponent at longer ranges while still leaving the firearm controllable when fired on a full-auto/burst setting.

The mod M4 was my favorite gun, always hit what the fuck I was aiming at, none of this "Cone of fire" bs.

Also, the 5.56 was adopted for use due to being a maiming round, the logic behind it was killing a man just kills a man. Wounding a man causes more manpower to be used on the OPFOR side to take care of the wounded. It ties up more resources. Something like that.

Exactly mate!!

^^Or a combination of both of these points maybe?

Edited by TheWanderingMan

I always laugh when people insist the 5.56 NATO was developed to be 'more humane'. Perhaps that was a consideration but the main objective when developing the round was to provide a projectile capable of incapacitating an opponent at longer ranges while still leaving the firearm controllable when fired on a full-auto/burst setting.

While this is true. It was never considered or thought to be "more humane" it was designed to wound. A wounded man ties up resources and manpower than outright killing a man.

Currently, the damage system is completely fucked up because your clothing and items in your inventory take all of the damage until everything is ruined, then the player takes damage.  Unless you get a clean headshot on someone not wearing any head protection.

You don't need any optics to be effective over 100m if you have a large enough monitor.  Also, when was the last time you were active duty?  Nowadays, the M4 has full-automatic and semi-automatic settings.

For now, you may want to switch to the SKS since it is more accurate and powerful.  Especially, at longer distances.

Actually i have seen 1 hit kills on range with the m4.. the user however was in prone+bipod+acog, rested, energized, hydrated and healthy. With on range I mean, shoot from the rocky hill near the ship, into the top cabin thing of the ship.

I believe it helps a lot being calm, and not having run/sprinted for a while.. I was charged by 4 guys with m4's the other day and I barely took damage whilst getting to cover... I crouched behind something until my character was calm, popped out to the right, killed one, then the left, killed 2, then I reloaded ran at someone and shot 60 rounds full auto at the remaining player. All 4 players were running/spraying full auto.. My first mag, i only used 12 rounds.. so 4 per kill/KO.. the 2nd mag, i just felt like overkill since there were lots of m4 bullets to loot from 4 corpses.